In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone ever shot ?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
A colored TV?Ive been told that they retain a large enough amount of electricity to electrocute a human?I would think it would have an explosive discharge,or am I being told false info?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is true they hold a large amount of amperage in the coil but it discharges after awhile when the set is unplugged.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know that they can retain enough electricity to elecrocute a person. There is a plug on the top back of most screens, inside the case, this is where you dont want to touch. I learned about this when studying electricity, but dont remember the particulars, like voltage, current etc that they hold. If you shoot it, it wont explode, it is called a vacuum tube, so I believe it is under a vacuum. I have never shot one, so be careful.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, Called the flyback transformer. When I managed a repair shop for a short time I used to watch my techs discharge them before they worked on anything. They will usually discharge by themselves after a day or so.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a weapon of mass communications.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    BTW, what color is the tv? I hear that the dark colored ones are more dangerous than the gray ones and that a wood-grained colored cabinet one can't be trusted in the same room with your teen-aged daughter.

Didn't Elvis shoot a tv?
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black and white (remember those) will zap you too. Some sets are designed with a bleeder arrangement that will discharge the stored energy ... but it is not wise to assume a TV has one.

As far as the picture tube goes it is a vacuum tube ... if the exterior is broken (shooting or otherwise) it will first implode, not explode, and most TV's have a shield in front of the tube. The problem here is once it is broken into a few hundred bits the phospher coating on the inside of the front of the tube is exposed and coming in contact with that can make you a very sick "puppy". Same is true for broken flourescent lamps.

The coatings on the TV tubes is the main excuse offered for paying extra fees in many communities ... it is a hazardous material. Same is true for computer monitors. However, they never seem to say where they take these things to dump them. Yes there are hazardous material dump sites, but, I think it is unlikely that all the TV's and CRT's go there .... something tells me that in at least some cases themoney goes into the municpal coffers and the TV goes into the same hole as the rest of the trash for a given day.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • zr700zr700 Member Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds like fun to me, post the pictures

Jason
    Proud NRA member
    "The constitutions of most of our states assert that all power is inherent in the people; that...it is there right and duty to be at all times armed."
    Thomas Jefferson 1824
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit

I hear that the dark colored ones are more dangerous than the gray ones and that a wood-grained colored cabinet one can't be trusted in the same room with your teen-aged daughter.

I had a 32" Sony Trinitron that once stuck a straw under my bedroom door while I was sleeping and tried to suck all the air out of the room. It had a gray cabinet.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They blow up pretty good when you shoot em. I recommend the 30-06 with a 180 grain silvertip.
    They do float quite well, until that picture tube is hit.