In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Maybe the handyman will get rich?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2008 in General Discussion
Maybe a great depression will bring great value to the guys who can actually do things, fix or tinker with anything, create things out of scrap. Dig you a well, fix the ice machine or AC, power your home or tie in a transfer switch, make your toilet flush, fix the leak in your roof, keep your vehicle running, etc.
Wouldn't that be something NO CEO's making 300 times the employees, just folks living hard scrapple like it was done years ago. Not saying that it was easy, but those who worked generally ate.
After the depression people put value in goods, quality meant something as did MADE IN AMERICA, heck not that long ago we said the Pledge of Alliegence with pride. It meant something, I guess that is silly to the younger generation now.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're hoping for a depression you're going to be disappointed. "Things" are not nearly as bad as the media would have you believe. According to the media we've been standing in soup lines ever since Clinton left office.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Maybe the handyman will get rich?

not to rich or he will just have to share the wealth
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    If the handyman does get rich, he better keep it to himself.
    Would be too many lazy * that still would not work.
    But they would steal !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chappsyny
    If you're hoping for a depression you're going to be disappointed. "Things" are not nearly as bad as the media would have you believe. According to the media we've been standing in soup lines ever since Clinton left office.

Not hoping at all, God forbid, just musing. I think A depression would really not hurt those who are debt free and living in their means if they can maintain basic employment or retirement benefits though. Especially those who already supplement their needs with Mother Earth. Solar, Well, Septic, Debt Free, land those would be better places to be then in the city, broke with no resources. HEY WAIT then again if Obama is going to put a caddy in every driveway and a bucket of chicken on the table....
  • Options
    dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    i understand what you are saying mogley...the jack of all trades will be the one who will survive,and i agree with you, there are a lot of them around, as for the rest...well, someone has to pay the jack of all trades.[;)]
  • Options
    trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    I remember in 1980 working burglary repair in neighborhoods,I always took 2 cases of deadbolts with me .
    Never failed to use most of them for the rest of the neghborhood .
    Just have to work smart !
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dan kelly
    i understand what you are saying mogley...the jack of all trades will be the one who will survive,and i agree with you, there are a lot of them around, as for the rest...well, someone has to pay the jack of all trades.[;)]

+1

During the "Dot-COM boom" I worked at a very large Semi-Conductor Equipment Mfg Co for 18 years. Being in those days, everything was built in house from scratch. I managed to work in every aspect of the steps (Plumbing, electrical, Mechanical, robotic assembly. Then on to Machining, painting, welding (Mig, Tig, Arc, which became my profession).

All that experience, I can apply somewhere somehow, someway. The good days when it was fun to learn something new if you had to fill someones shoes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buschmaster
    this was noticed around the time of the dot com bust and subsequent unemployment all over years ago. "low tech" jobs were still bringing home the bucks and enough of it.

I think somehow we've been sold short on high tech jobs or even the idea of using a college degree to get a good career. I've seen plenty of people with little education making plenty of money and always employed, and I've seen people with multiple graduate degrees making "modest" income... whenever they're not unemployed for months or a year at a time.

To add to what you are saying Buschmaster in the good ole USN we had some really salty chief petty officers with no degree school the Bachelor of Science mechanical engineering officer's regularly ( I mean really who ya want around you in an emergency a seasoned NCO or a college degree? )Experience to an intelligent person can be far more beneficial then a diploma to an unintelligent one!
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was born in 1950.
    As a young man I got into hitchiking. I hitchiked across the continent four or five times, also hitchiked all over Europe.
    Also, I have picked up a lot of hitchikers.
    Some of the old timer hitchikers I have met had hitchiked during the Great Depression.
    They all told me that the hitchiking was much, much better in those days.
    They said that people didn't have any money, but people trusted each other. They said it was a much friendlier time.

Maybe being rich just screws people up.