In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

For all the SHTF scenario what ifs.....

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Thinking ahead long term. Wind powered electrical generation since fuel will no longer be available. Stockpile newspapers for rolling and using in fireplaces. 1800's style hand tools for general repairs. Access to livestock for transportation to include means of travel, i.e. wagons and mules/horses. Gardens and canning equipment. Antique/vintage appliances: manual can openers, foot pedal sewing machines, washboards. Means/ingredients for homemade soaps. Outhouses.

Stock up on leather, bolts of cloth, thread, needles, etc.

For the ladies. If the SHTF and production plants grind to a halt, female hygiene products will be worth their weight in gold. For you men, don't laugh. Even if you are a single guy buy up and stock up. No telling what a lady in the future would do for a modern hygiene product. Cases of TP and paper towels.

Also, no manufacturing, no birth control. Unless you want to be having a new young one every nine months, stock up on condoms. Millions of uses and stops a million.

Nails, screws of assorted sizes, lag bolts and hand crank drills.

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many rolls of paper towels should I stock? my wife sez about 3 or 4 thousand...I think we could get away with about 20 or so....man this is tuff deciding.
  • susiesusie Member Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Almost forgot, cloth diapers and pins for same.

As for the paper towel dilemma, I'm thinking about a warehouse full. Seriously though, shop rags would be a good idea to replace the paper towels. Also, once the TP runs out, get used to using small cotton cloths and washing them after use. Hey, its better than a corn cob.[:I]

Baking soda and peroxide for dental health. These two ingredients serve dual purposes.

Cases of hard liquor for trading for essentials. Baskets or those re-usable bags they are selling at every store now. You will need something to carry your trade goods.

This list could get to be a mile long.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://cgi. ELSEWHERE .com/Premium-Lubricated-Condom-1000-condoms-in-a-box-BULK_W0QQitemZ220369842972QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item334f10f31c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Copy and paste into your browser. Change elsewhere with E B A Y
  • storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    PRINT & KEEP A COPY.

YOU MAY NEED IT SOME DAY.

BETTER TO BE 6 MONTHS EARLY THAN
    ONE DAY TOO LATE.

Let's assume you can even make it to the Home Depot and grocery stores; before the mobs arrive to loot and strip the shelves bare. To get an idea.....think back to what you have seen happen to highways and roads, and to grocery store shelves (even in peace-time) when the people are warned of an impending Hurricane, Tornado, or Blizzard! Even 'good' people will turn into an angry and hungry mob; when driven by the stress of the, 'Impending Unknown'.

In no particular order; here are 100 items which will quickly disappear following a disaster. You might want to consider if you would want any of these, on hand, when the roads are choked and the power goes off
    :
    1. A generator. (expensive, Gasoline, storage, risky & noisy...targets of thieves; maintenance etc.)
    2. Water Filters/Purifiers/ Chlorox for purification of water.
    3. Portable Toilet and toilet paper.
    4. Seasoned Firewood. Firewood takes about 6 - 12 months to become dried enough, for burning.
    5. Lamp Oil, Wicks, Lamps (First Choice: Buy CLEAR oil. If scarce, stockpile ANY and all!)
    6. Coleman Fuel. Impossible to stockpile too much.
    7. Guns, Ammunition, Pepper Spray, Knives, Clubs, Bats & Slingshots.
    8. Hand-can openers, & hand egg beaters, whisks.
    9. Honey/Syrups/white & brown sugars
    10. Rice - Beans - Wheat - Bread
    11. Vegetable Oil (for cooking/ without it food burns, etc.,)
    12. Charcoal, Lighter Fluid (will become suddenly scarce )
    13. Water Containers (Urgent Item to obtain.) Fill up any size. Small, many, PLASTIC ONLY - note - food grade for drinking.
    16. Propane Cylinders and grills (Urgent: Definite shortages will occur.
    17. Survival Guide Book.
    18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)
    19. Baby Supplies: Diapers/Formula, Ointments/Aspirin, Vaseline, etc. First Aid items.
    20. Washboards, Mop Bucket w/wringer (for Laundry)
    21. Cookstoves (Propane, Coleman & Kerosene)
    22. Vitamins
    23. Propane Cylinder Handle-Holder (Urgent: Small canister use is dangerous
    without this item)
    24. Feminine Hygiene/Haircare/Skin products.
    25. Thermal underwear (Tops & Bottoms)
    26. Bow saws, axes and hatchets, Wedges (also, hones, and oil)
    27. Aluminum Foil Reg. & Heavy Duty (good for Cooking and Bartering)
    28. Gasoline Containers (closed, Plastic & Metal) Store safely remote from living quarters.
    29. Heavy plastic Garbage Bags (Impossible To Have Too Many).
    30. Toilet Paper, Kleenex, Paper Towels, Plastic Baggies
    31. Milk - Powdered & Condensed (Shake Liquid every 3 to 4 months)
    32. Garden Seeds (Non-Hybrid)
    33. Clothes pins/line/hangers
    34. Coleman's Pump Repair Kit
    35. Tuna Fish (in oil)
    36. Fire Extinguishers (or..large box of Baking Soda in every room)
    37. First aid kits
    38. Batteries (all sizes...buy longest dated expiration Dates)
    39. Garlic, spices & vinegar, baking supplies
    40. Big Dogs (and plenty of dog food)
    41. Flour, yeast & ....salt. One can't survive without salt.
    42. Matches. ("Strike Anywhere"/ Boxed, wooden/ matches will go first. Keep in Baggies.
    43. Writing paper/pads/pencils, solar calculators
    44. Insulated ice chests (good for keeping items from freezing in Wintertime.)
    45. Workboots, belts, slickers, Levis & durable shirts, gloves, work shoes
    46. Flashlights/lightsticks & torches, "No. 76 Dietz" Lanterns
    47. Journals, Diaries & Scrapbooks (jot down ideas, feelings, experience;
    Historic Times)
    48. Garbage cans, wheeled/Plastic . Great for storage of water, and transporting same.
    49. Men's Hygiene: Shampoo, Toothbrush/paste, Mouthwash/floss, nail clippers, condoms, etc
    50. Cookware (light, sturdy, teflon, efficient)
    51. Fishing supplies/tools
    52. Mosquito coils/repellent, sprays/creams/ointments.
    53. Duct Tape
    54. Tarps/stakes/twine/nails/rope/spikes
    55. Candles
    56. Laundry Detergent (liquid)
    57. Backpacks, Duffel Bags
    58. Garden tools & supplies
    59. Scissors, fabrics & sewing supplies
    60. Canned Fruits, Veggies, Soups, stews, etc.
    61. Bleach ( plain, NOT scented: 4 to 6% Sodium Hypochlorite..Chlorox)
    62. Canning supplies, (Jars w/lids)
    63. Knives & Sharpening tools: files, stones, steel
    64. Bicycles...Tires/tubes/pumps/chains, etc
    65. Sleeping Bags & blankets/pillows/mats
    66. Carbon Monoxide Alarm (battery powered)
    67. Books/Board Games/Cards & Dice
    68. D-con Rat poison, MOUSE PRUFE II, Roach Killer
    69. Mousetraps, Ant traps & Cockroach magnets
    70. Paper plates/cups/utensils (stock up, folks)
    71. Baby wipes, powder/ oils, waterless & Antibacterial soap (saves a lot of water)
    72. Rain gear, rubberized boots, etc.
    73. Shaving supplies (razors & creams, talc, after shave)
    74. Hand pumps & siphons (for water and for fuels)
    75. Soy sauce, vinegar, bullions/gravy/soup base
    76. Spare reading glasses/binoculars.
    77. Chocolate/Cocoa/Tang/Punch (water enhancers)
    78. "Survival-in-a-Can", C-rations, MRE's
    79. Woolen clothing, scarves/ear-muffs/mittens/gloves
    80. Boy Scout Handbook, / also Leaders Catalog
    81. Window Insulation Kit (MANCO)/ 4X8' Plywood w/nails/hammer
    82. Graham crackers, saltines, pretzels, Trail mix/Jerky
    83. Popcorn, Peanut Butter, Nuts
    84. Socks, Underwear, T-shirts, etc. (extras)
    85. Lumber (any and all types)
    86. Wagons & carts (for transport to and from)
    87. Cots & Inflatable mattress's
    88. Gloves: Work/warming/gardening, etc.
    89. Lantern Hangers
    90. Screen Patches, glue, nails, screws,, nuts & bolts
    91. Teas
    92. Coffee
    93. Cigarettes
    94. Wine/Liquors (for bribes, medicinal, etc,)
    95. Paraffin wax
    96. Glue, nails, nuts, bolts, screws, etc.
    97. Chewing gum/candies
    98. Atomizers (for cooling/bathing)
    99. Hats & cotton neckerchiefs, mufflers
    100. Chickens, Goats/ edible animals, traps

ps/ I would add; that you should keep a 30 day supply of Prescriptions which are critical to your health and well being. If you will sicken and/or die without these prescriptions; be sure you store them where you can get to them quickly. These are very portable necessities. You may have to vacate the premises in a hurry. Remember, even when no emergency exists, people have been killed by others who want anything in a prescription bottle. Some people have even put a padlock on their medicine cabinet; especially if invited strangers are to be visiting in your house...and using your bathroom.

Read this is from a survivor who made it thru the War in Bosnia: 1. Stockpiling helps. But you never know how long trouble will last, so vacate toward renewable food sources in the country, 2. Living near a well with a manual pump is like being in Eden. 3. After a while, even Gold can lose its luster; but there is no luxury in war...quite like toilet paper. Its surplus (barter) value is greater than Gold's. 4. If you had to go without one utility, lose electricity - it's the easiest to do without; unless you're in a very nice climate with no need for heat. 5. Canned foods are awesome, especially if their contents are tasty without heating. 6. One of the best things to stockpile is canned gravy - it makes a lot of the dry unappetizing things you find to eat in war.... somewhat edible. Only needs enough heat to "warm", not to cook. It's cheap too, especially if you buy it in bulk. 7. Bring some books - escapist ones; like romance or mysteries become more valuable as the war continues. Sure, it's great to have a lot of survival guides, but you'll figure most of that out on your own anyway. So, trust me, books are good...you'll have a lot of time on your hands. 8. The feeling that you're human can fade pretty fast. I can't tell you how any people I knew who would have traded a much needed meal for just a little bit of toothpaste, rouge, soap or cologne. Not much point in fighting; if you lose your humanity. 9. Slow burning candles and matches, matches, and matches. 10. Stock some cartons of cigarettes, even if you don't smoke! They also are woth more than Gold; in barter and trade situations. These several things above are morale boosters; if nothing else. But be forewarned..and fore-ARMED; if you want to keep your goods...and perhaps your life.
  • legearlegear Member Posts: 6,716
    edited November -1
    TOOO MUCH chit to buy. Im heading to the closest Sam's Club and gettin it for freeeee
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save all your phone books. Can use them as TP when you run out.
  • MercuryMercury Member Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think I could fit that huge book in my crack!!!! [:D][:D]

Merc

quote:Originally posted by drobs
    Save all your phone books. Can use them as TP when you run out.
  • tpacuriositytpacuriosity Member Posts: 707 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh come on now, you're among friends here. There is no need to be modest or shy. Everyone has unique talents and abilities (or capacities). ;-)
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you had the money to buy everything you may need, where do you store it all? My place is prety well full now.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the snit hits the wind mill I'm going feral.[:)]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wind powered electrical generation since fuel will no longer be available.

Stockpile newspapers for rolling and using in fireplaces.

Not for me. I do not need a basement full of rat nest. Plenty of good wood to cook and keep warm with.

1800's style hand tools for general repairs.

Hammers, Saws and many more hand tools, Plus Cordless power tools (can be charged by solar or car battery).

Access to livestock for transportation to include means of travel, i.e. wagons and mules/horses.

Maybe a hog or two for food, but none for transportation. Do you know the work involved with getting enough hay to fed the critters all winter without using modern equipment?

Gardens and canning equipment.

Check got plenty and keep telling people that if they wish to afford to eat in a few years they need to stock up themselves.

Antique/vintage appliances: manual can openers, foot pedal sewing machines, washboards. Means/ingredients for homemade soaps. Outhouses.

Got cast iron pots and pans don't need a stove when an old piece of grate or a few rocks works good ,do not need a can opener to open a mason jar. Have a Singer foot peddle sewing machine, Lye and Hog guts makes good soap. I could add some Lilac or rose peddles for the ladies of the house. Don't need an outhouse when a rock or tree works just as good and saves me from digging a hole and wearing out my hand tools on building something just to hide my *.

I just need to stock up on more ammo and reloading supplies and I think I will be ready.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    18. Mantles: Aladdin, Coleman, etc. (Without this item, longer-term lighting is difficult.)

Aladdin lamps advertise that they put out as much light as a 60 watt bulb!
    Pretty impressive for a kerosene lamp invented 100 years ago.
    I have two of them.
    The problem is, to put out that much light, they are kerosene hogs!
    Damn they burn a lot of fuel.
    Also, a lot of maintenance involved, you have to light your Aladdin once or twice a year, or the wick will get clogged up with keorsene and won't work right.
    Coleman lamps, likewise, real bright, need mantles, which are delicate, use lots of fuel. How long does Coleman fuel store? I know gasoline won't keep much more than a year, Coleman fuel is about the same as gasoline.

DSCN0555.jpg
    These are the lamps that you need for the SHTF situation. Simple kerosene lamps, put out as much light as a candle, use very little fuel, no maintenance, the wicks do not burn out.
    You can store lamp oil for years, I have some that is ten years old and it works fine.