In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tell me about these towns.

woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Spent some time over the weekend checking out various websites trying to decide where to move. One of the sites was findyourspot.com . I did the survey and put in every area except the northeastern US. Got a list of towns eliminated about a third of the ones that were too far south. Remember I have to avoid too much heat bcause of the asthma. So, does anybody know anything about the remaining towns? Here they are.

Salisbury, NC
Edenton, NC
Hendersonville, NC (I think this is where "The Mother Earth News" used to be printed)
Mount Airy, NC
Morganton, NC
Guthrie, OK
Murray, KY
Hopkinsville, KY
Culpeper, VA
Maryville, YN
Paris, TN

Funny how NC popped up so much. That's where Bev was holding out for. This may be pretty close to the final list of places. I still want to go visit northeast OK and southwest MO before ruling them out though.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

Comments

• allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live an hour north of Hendersonville.
    That is, Hendersonville is 25 minutes south of Asheville.
    Hendersonville is a prosperous community. Lots of retirees there. It is like Asheville, in a flat area surrounded by mountains. Most houses in Hendersonville would have a view of mountains, or you could go ten minutes outside of town and you would be on top of a mountain.
    I 26 runs a mile east of town.
    The Asheville airport is ten minutes north of town. Just started non stop flights to LaGuardia, $250.
    French Broad River runs right near the town.
    I have driven down I26 a million times, but have only been into the town once.
    They have an apple harvest festival every fall. It seems like a classy, lively place.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Highball is from a small town just twenty minutes north of Tulsa, he can give you the scoop there.

But, after Allen's description of Hendersonville, I think I'm ready to move there! If it was just in Texas! [;)]
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Yo Woodsie,

I noticed that there are no NJ towns on your list, wonder why not? [:)]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Culpeper VA might be a good choice if you are looking for work. It is fairly close to the DC metro area, so there is plenty of work in the area, but far enough away that the cost of living is not too bad. Northern VA is a 4 season state, so you will get a variety of climate conditions. Culpeper is far enough away from DC that it is more laid back...more of a country living type of atmosphere. If you have any more specific questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

allamericanarmscompany@earthlink.net

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woods...Paris, TN just happens to be where I get my mail. Murray, KY is about 25 miles north. Nice area if you like outdoor sports. Kentucky Lake is the major attraction, that and the "World's Largest Fish Fry" sponsored by the Jaycees in Paris every year! TN is not a bad state to live in. No state income tax. No draconian gun regs. Need any info, let me know and I will dig something up from the Chamber of Commerce and send your way.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    why ya want to get out of new york

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I live 7 miles north of Mt. Airy,N.C.in Va. It is a small town,nice place to live but nearest good jobs are about 35 miles south in Winston Salem. We have all 4 seasons and most winters are not bad except this winter has been rather cold. It a 5 hour drive to the coast and about 3.5 hours to the mountains to ski.

Hillsville.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Area around "Cherry Point" NC is one of my favorite. Good fishing and you need no license. Very humid in warm weather. Lot of great places to see.
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by njretcop
    Yo Woodsie,

I noticed that there are no NJ towns on your list, wonder why not? [:)]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"<br>NRA Certified Firearms Instructor<br>Member: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD.<br> <A HREF="mailto:njretcop@copmail.com">njretcop@copmail.com</A> <P>

Maybe because I deleted the northeast united states from the search to begin with.[:D][:D] All the northeastern states know how to do is regulate freedom and tax. Our job market was stagnant even in the mid 90's boom years. After a week of mid 30's to 40 degree days I still have a six foot deep snowbank in my yard. Between the county and the schools my property taxes went up almost 20%. Property taxes now consume just a hair over 10% of my annual gross wages. Yet my wages stay the same and the only way I have to cover the increased cost of living is to work more hours. Then I get to pray my check doesn't bounce.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by headzilla97
    why ya want to get out of new york

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

See above!!!!!!!

Woods

Hamlin.gif
    edited November -1
    odt;
    I lived just south of and in Tulsa from 1975-1978. My dad went to the Spartan School of Aviation. I liked the area. Bev has the tornado predjudice though[:(].

4wheeler;
    I drive about 35 miles each way now 32 to be exact. There are no really good jobs close to Hamlin either. I bet the average commute for the majority here is 20+ miles. I won't mind that commute. Just promise 4-16 inches of snow won't fall between the time I leave for work and the time I get home. Even if it did, just promise it won't happen 26 days in a row[V][V]

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Hopkinsville, KY is about 4 hours from me. I have been all through the area, it is a rural area with lots of farming going on. Soybeans, corn, cattle, and tobacco. I do know they have some industry in the area but am not for sure exactly what factories. Lots and LOTS of deer, turkey, and small game to hunt. Some large lakes within a reasonable driving distance as well. Here is a link to the state site for Hopkinsville, KY if it will help:
    http://www.stateguide.com/ky/Hopkinsville/
    There is a lot of Civil War history in the area as well as the Trail of Tears history of the removal of the Cherokee.

Let me add about Murry that is is a college town as well. Murry State is located there.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have spent some time in Maryville, TN and it seems to me to be a retirement type town, laid back and has all the necessaties one would want, good climate, low crime rate and not real far back. Take a look at this community and also it is not to far from Knoxville, TN where I have a sister that lives and loves the place. I have been to several of the NC places you mentioned and it would be Maryville for myself. Also TN doesn't have a state income tax and has just got the lottery pasted.
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've lived in VA all my life, and love it. EGC gave a pretty good description of Culpeper. Go any farther north and you'll be within commuting distance to NOVA/DC, and then things really become a zoo. VA's great though. If you're in the central part of the state you've got everything within a couple hours drive -- Blue Ridge Mtns and Parkway, Shenandoa Valley, George Washington and Jefferson National Forests, A.T., the beach, D.C., etc. If I can help further, just drop me an email. Good Luck.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I've been to all of the NC towns you listed. Lived for a time in most of them. I really like Mt. Airy. Huge river on the edge of town when I was there. Wouldn't surprize me if it was in town now.Salisbury sucks, don't even bother with it. I'll elaborate if you need to hear the details of it's suckiness. Edenton is a Victorian postcard coastal town. Small, but very pretty. A lot of bed & breakfast joints and everyone knows your business and you theirs. Morganton is a larger town in the foothills on I-40, close to Spiny in Hickory. Very good hunting and trout fishing near by.If you are going to work there I would recommend buying in Chimney Rock about a half hour closer in to the mountains. Beautiful and much cooler in the summer. That movie Firestarter was filmed there on Lake Lure. You know the house they stayed in on the movie on an island out in a big lake surrounded by mountains? Land is more costly there, but it appreciates tremendously. Hendersonville is a slow paced town because the youngest people there are like 190 years old. Its pretty and fairly cheap to live in, but there ain't a lot going on. It is close enough to Ashville[the Paris of the East] if you want some nightlife or see a Broadway show or something like that. 4&5 star resteraunts as well as a large bohemian population[aka, ex-hippies and beatniks even] may be little too liberal, but that is only in the downtown area. The rest of the area is still my kind of folks. If you can work in either of those towns I would choose Mt.Airy or Edenton depending on whether you like to be closer to the mountains or the ocean. Ofcourse you can be at the ocean from anywhere in the state in three hours or less depending, so I'd go to Mt. Airy of Andy Griffith fame.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    This is some really great info. Please keep it coming.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woods, we'd love to have you in this area (I'm in Oklahoma City)... I have been to Guthrie quite a few times, my mother-in-law lives 5 miles south (we live about 20-25 miles south of there). It's a nice town/area. In fact, if you're interested in this area, I'd look for property between Edmond Oklahoma and Guthrie. It's very nicely wooded and rolling hills through there. By the time you get to the northern side of Guthrie it starts flattening out and the trees are more sparse.
    I also grew up in S.W. Missouri and spent 6 years in S.E. Kansas so I know that corner there pretty well. You didn't list any towns there, but depending on what you like for scenery you might like the Springfield Missouri area (lots of lakes and hills). I graduated from a private Christian school in Joplin Missouri and my mother still lives there. I know Matwor is from that area, and there's another member or two, but I can't think of who right off the bat (ya might look up the "where are you at" thread to see who's in these prospective areas".

Also, if you're seriously thinkin' of moving, I'd open up my house and let you guys stay here so you can look the area over.

One last thing, the summers get pretty hot anywhere in this area (S.W. MO, S.E. KA, Central OK), we have a lot of 90 degree days and we'll have maybe 8-12 100+ degree days a year. But, those really aren't too bad, ya just hole up in the house and reload, relax, or read...

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • BLACKJACKBLACKJACK Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woodsrunner,
    North Carolina is the place to be. If you don't like the weather today, wait, it's going to change within 48 hours. This morning the temperature in Greenville, NC is 48 degrees at 8:10 AM. After midnight tonight and into tomorrow it is supposed to snow 1- 4 inches. Friday all the snow will be melted. I live a little southwest of Greenville, NC. There are many recreational opportunities from fishing and hunting to skiing (water and snow) within 30 minutes to 3 hours away. Cost of living is fairly reasonable and some of the best people in the world. Come on down and join us.

Black Jack [8D]
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've said it before, but I think SW MO is the place to be. Do you have any specific places in mind? Basically, the entire lower half of the state is similar in topography (karst) - tons of lakes, streams, forests, hills/old mountains. The difference in the SE and the SW is that the SE is much more sparsley populated - though the SW is still almost entirely rural, except for Springfield and Joplin. The good thing is that you can be living in the absolute backwoods "deliverance" sticks, and still be only an hour or hour and a half from a good city hospital, stores, etc. The people is SW MO are truly friendly, and you don't see the faint or overt suspicious standoffish attitudes that you see in some rural areas in the Appalachians. It really is a great place is live, and my wife and I have been considering a move back to the Springfield area for a while. It's either that, or someplace closer to KC - I vote for Springfield.

Seriously though, if you want any specifics, I'd be glad to help with info. Here is an awesome link that lists tons of southern MO properties - I look at it often:

http://www.morealestate.net/listings.htm

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    woods, looks as though the two of us are zeroing in on approximately the same areas for exactly the same reasons!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Oh God, Please let Woods and Teak move to NC. I need a break on the shipping rates.Amen.[:D]

• oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in TN, Am familiar with Maryville slightly. In East TN, a suburb of Knoxville, edge of the Smokys..Fine hunting area, great fishing, city life nearby. TN is not only tolerant of guns,but consider HCP holders to be top citizens. Beautiful mountain country..

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you check out Maryville,TN when you check out the others as it is not far from the others. Another good community not far from any of these is London/Corbin area of Kentucky just off I-75. This place is probably growing faster than any place in Kentucky and has a lot to offer. I live on the tip of western Virginia less than three hours from most of the places you mentioned. If I were to move to NC I would take a good look at Asheville.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Iconoclast
    woods, looks as though the two of us are zeroing in on approximately the same areas for exactly the same reasons!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)

Teak; I love the scenery in the north east. I love having lake ontario a mile and a half from my house. Being close to the Adirondaks for deer hunting and trout fishing is great. I even like winter to a degree. I'm sick and tired of the political aspects though. On top of that my doctor is giving me less than 5 years in the workforce. Both knees are shot now, I can barely walk when it's cold. On top of that she thinks I'm starting to have back problems because I can't squat down and my job involves some moderatly heavy lifting. If I shovel snow and then go sit for half an hour, I can't get back out of the chair if it doesn't have arms. I'm just trying to give myself a chance at a normal life. The cost of living difference might just allow me to afford a job change. On top of that Bev's nursing specialty is geriatrics, so we're looking for an area with a big retiree population.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigdaddyjunior
    Oh God, Please let Woods and Teak move to NC. I need a break on the shipping rates.Amen.[:D]

bdj;
    Like I said on your other thread. I'll be looking for a buyers broker spring/summer of 2005. Maybe sooner depending on how things work out with my job. And upon how long it takes to finish the renovation on this house. Funny thing about Hendersonville. I live now in a very big apple growing area. The next town over has a big Apple fest every year too. I've often described the climate I was looking for as one where it was niether too hot or cold to grow apples well.

Here's what I'll be looking for. A small older capecod or ranch style house. Doesn't need to be big, we are a couple entering middle age with no children. It does need a first floor master bedroom though. A decent sized garage/workshop on a large relativly flat rural lot are musts though. Even as bad as my health is, I'd have to be totally paralized to stop trying to grow my huge garden every year.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Woods,

Both Murray, and Hopkinsville, KY are within 30-60 minutes of my home. If your a good dude, and do not mind sleeping in my GARAGE!!!!!, I'm willing to entertain you ihere at my house for 24 hours while you look for a job. BTW, depending on your previous experiences, and your current job qualifications, there are several jobs down here which pay well, if your willing to work for some GERMANS? Well, that must sound pretty inviting, eh?

Seriously though, just email me if you are needing a place to tay while you look at things here.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Woodsrunner, since your wife is a nurse you would have it made in Hendersonville. I don't know anything about the Hendersonville hospital, though they must have one. But, Asheville has two big hospitals, very good ones. The Asheville hospitals formed a partnership some years ago. They are rated as one of the top 50 cardiac centers in the country.
    Fifteen years ago I was looking into getting on with the Paramedics at Mission Memorial. They had a top notch EMS. They had a helicopter service with a Messerschmitt helicopter, I was impressed. Our helicopter services in Ga all used Bell.
    Anyway, you could get a place on the north side of Hendersonville, and you would be a 15 minute drive to the Asheville hospitals.
    The medical industry in Asheville is the one I know of that the pay is up to national standards. I know a girl who started as an RN at Mission Memorial 5 years ago, she was just out of school and started at $37,000. Of course lots of doctors offices, retirement homes where a nurse could work.