In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Amanda Knox

woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
edited January 2014 in General Discussion
Found Guilty
Will Appeal

Comments

• Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Will be released to leave Italy and return to the US. Sounds like she will have to pay some big money for court fee's but otherwise on her way to the USA.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question is, after all this BS will the US Government really extradite her?
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If we ever want to extradite a criminal from their country in the future, this will come up.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with those idiots.

there should be a boycott of everything Italian until they get a brain

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    Guilty - not guilty - guilty. What a justice system!

We have an extradition treaty with Italy so, yes, we would extradite her. She has already said she will be a fugitive to avoid extradition if Italy reverses her acquittal.

Stay tuned!
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She's going nowhere. While we do have extradition agreement s with Italy, her Not Guilty verdict from the previous trial kicks in under US Law against being tried twice after being found not guilty.
  • Options
    booter_onebooter_one Member Posts: 2,345
    edited November -1
    That is what I was thinking.quote:Originally posted by ruger41
    She's going nowhere. While we do have extradition agreement s with Italy, her Not Guilty verdict from the previous trial kicks in under US Law against being tried twice after being found not guilty.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does "Double Jeopardy" apply here? I mean it took place in Italy or "No Take Backs"?[:D]
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Italy should do the best out of 7 trials....what a joke.
  • Options
    ChrisInTempeChrisInTempe Member Posts: 15,562
    edited November -1
    She'd won't be going back. Not under our double jeopardy legal standard.

The Italians are just nutso on this case. Mass hysteria.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I'd be surprised if they asked for her.
    This trial was a face saving gesture.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I googled her name.She is really fine looking!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    I googled her name.She is really fine looking!

101213633-knox.jpg

[8D][:)][:)][:D][:p][:D][:D][:)][8D]
  • Options
    SwanKongSwanKong Member Posts: 989 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm fairly certain that the only reason this has gotten any attention is because she's easy to look at.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SwanKong
    IMG_1160.jpg
    [:D][:D][:D]

YEP!! "LAMBCHOPS" for sure!![:p][:p]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,273 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good looking, and ready to rip! Amanda was banging quite a few of the Italian boys.

As I heard her say in an interview the other day, "While I was in Italy I was sexually active, but not sexually perverse."
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who's to say? Maybe she really is guilty and should be extradited. I haven't seen all the evidence.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It is not cut and dried. From the AP wire:

Italy and the U.S. have an extradition treaty which means both have agreed to surrender fugitives wanted in the other country.
    That's enough of a weight to convince international law professor Christopher L. Blakesley, of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, that she will have to go.

"There's a duty under the treaty to extradite her unless there's a major defect in the trial," Blakesley told the Daily News.

"Politics does play a part, but from a legal side, we'd be pretty hard put in a pure legal sense not to abide by the treaty which obviously tells us to extradite someone who's been convicted of murder as long as they make the request."
    In the U.S., law dictates that a person cannot be tried twice on the same charge, which is called the double jeopardy clause of the Constitution.

In Italy, Blakesley argues, they have a double jeopardy clause, too. The difference is that they see the second appeal as a brand new trial.

"It's like the trial so to speak. You can think of it almost as two phases," he said.

That would mean that after Knox appeals Thursday's verdict, as her attorneys have said they will, it will be the final time possible.
    "If she's convicted this second time, and the Supreme Court of Italy decides it was constitutionally valid and proper, then that's final," he said. "That's just how it is over there and we agreed that we'd extradite back and forth understanding each other's system and accepting."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/amanda-knox-found-guilty-murder-italian-court-article-1.1597038#ixzz2rwvjRxk3
  • Options
    EVILDR235EVILDR235 Member Posts: 4,398 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    She is probably in Tijuana by now.

EvilDr235
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Didn't follow the case at the time but have done some reading on it since. I've always had the strong impression that the Italians were itching for a salacious case and their tabloid news (mainstream news there) seized upon it for every lst Euro they could squeeze.

The Ivory Coast guy was convicted first. After he changed his story to include Knox in the crime, his sentence was reduced and he is eligible for parole this year. Something about that stinks link a dead skunk.

The Italian police refused to force open the door to the victim's room. In spite of the blood stains seen, the broken window, that no one knew where Kercher (the murdered girl) was and that the other residents living there all wanted the police to act, they refused. The body was discovered only after one of the roommates took it upon himself to bash the door open.

Then they failed to control the crime scene, only photographing it after lots of people had trudged through. Even so they insist it was staged for their benefit.

There's more to it, but have to say it rings foul. Like the Italian authorities are desperate to save face after going to far beyond the guilty and trying wrap up the innocent too.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    Guilty - not guilty - guilty. What a justice system!

Sounds like LA. Keep on trying them until they get the verdict they want in order to keep the minorities from rioting.
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EVILDR235
    She is probably in Tijuana by now.

And the property of a drug cartel.[;)]
  • Options
    Sooeyman2035Sooeyman2035 Member Posts: 3,226
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChrisInTempe
    Didn't follow the case at the time but have done some reading on it since. I've always had the strong impression that the Italians were itching for a salacious case and their tabloid news (mainstream news there) seized upon it for every lst Euro they could squeeze.

The Ivory Coast guy was convicted first. After he changed his story to include Knox in the crime, his sentence was reduced and he is eligible for parole this year. Something about that stinks link a dead skunk.

The Italian police refused to force open the door to the victim's room. In spite of the blood stains seen, the broken window, that no one knew where Kercher (the murdered girl) was and that the other residents living there all wanted the police to act, they refused. The body was discovered only after one of the roommates took it upon himself to bash the door open.

Then they failed to control the crime scene, only photographing it after lots of people had trudged through. Even so they insist it was staged for their benefit.

There's more to it, but have to say it rings foul. Like the Italian authorities are desperate to save face after going to far beyond the guilty and trying wrap up the innocent too.
    Sounds like you were there. Did you testify?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think Amanda is innocent and the Italian prosecution has bungled the case.

However, we are now trying to extradite Snowden from Russia. We want all international laws enforced. Russia won't extradite because it benefits Putin politically.
    But, we don't want Amanda extradited.
    Notice, in the quote I posted from the lawyer, she said that "politics may be involved."

The Italian legal system, if the conviction is upheld next year, may have a good legal case that she must be extradited.
    However, as this lawyer said, if there is sufficient political pressure, we will not extradite Amanda.

So, do we go along with international law, or don't we?