In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old chimneys and woodstoves

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Question, is it safe to put a small woodstove on an old chimney that already has an oil furnace on it? The chimney is old, goes thru the middle of the house not the side, has hookups for two flus but only one outlet so even though there is two holes to hook to there is only one main shaft. I want to hook up a small woodstove to try and get some more heat into the basement and dry it up, is it safe? And isnt there screen doodads that you can put in the flu pipe to keep sparks from going up?

line2.gif
email2b.gif
hillbilly.gif

Comments

• ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    7mm: i used to own a chimney relining business a while back. i will tell you what i know. you may want to purchase a code book called
    "nfpa 211" (national fire protection association). i kind of hesitate to give the o.k on this without an inpection. if the chimney is not clay tile lined, the code deems it not safe for gas burning appliances. as far as the 2 thimble holes are concerned, it is o.k to vent as long as the entry is not at the same level or directly across from one another, otherwise they will compete for the draftflow. also, it is not recommended to burn two differently charged systems into one chimney. i would be very careful as your chimney runs through the middle of the house. if i were you, i would install a stinless steel chimney liner to make a direct connection to the woodstove(fire rated at 2200 deg.), and install a flexi-liner to the oil burning appliance. ex: 8 in. stove vent+4 in. oil furnace vent = at least a 11x14 chimney opening(give or take). i would also pour vermiculite around the liners as well. you will feel alot safer in your home if you do this right. if i can be of any help, let me know.
    safety is a priority and your insurance company will give you a break as well as increasing the resale value of your home.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    That would not be wise...if you have one flue hook up in the basement, and one on a floor above it, it could cause dangerous levels of Carbon monoxide/smoke/etc to escape from the other hook up point. It could actually kill you and your family, without you ever being aware of the problem. Either demo the furnace and go with the woodstove or put in another double walled metal chimney flue.

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book says to not put a wood stove and any other appliance in the same chimney. Unsafe, plus would probably cause real bad creosote problem.
    Ohiohog has good advice. Run a separate pipe for the wood stove, right down the old chimney.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I opened up one of the hot air vents into the basement but it takes too much from the rest of the house and the basement still isnt warm. Guess I'll look into some other heat source.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had both together for ten years in Quebec and never had any problems. I did always wonder if it was a good idea, but I did not burn much oil ... basically heated with two wood stoves. One was with the chimney for the oil furnace and the other was on its own. (The Oil Dealer man said my installation was fine.) Better to be safe than sorry.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    previous two replies have it exactly right....i did same once...2 story with full basement...one other problem with the long flue you have to get above peak roof line to draw correctly... small stove ...long flue..creosote forms in chimney or liner & even with damper you can get a runaway burn that sounds like a train going by... dangerous.. also cost to do this might be better spent on propane, gas, elec, temp heat... wood & mess in, soot & ashes out ...anybody in family have allergies or asthma??...safety first, second, third, fourth, etc
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    My book says to not put a wood stove and any other appliance in the same chimney. Unsafe, plus would probably cause real bad creosote problem.
    Ohiohog has good advice. Run a separate pipe for the wood stove, right down the old chimney.

He could not do this if he plans on still using his furnace (unless he has a HUGE Flue). It would restrict the airflow of the furnace, by reducing the area of the existing flue. He could run a new double walled flue out the side of the house and up above the roof line for the wood stove. This would be the only safe way to go about it. This is what I did at my house, b/c I had the EXACT same type of situation. Better to be safe than sorry[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the public libiary for most nfpa publications or the local and state fire inspectors I deal with these type issues with them monthly and they are good about shareing the publications.

psalms 16
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I checked into a new chimney last year when it got cold, I was planning buying a nig woodburner and having it tied into the hot air vents already in place with a blower and use the oil as backup, i was quoted $5,500 for a new chimney! The side of the house I need to put the chimney has 3' of basement above ground plus two floors and attic, gonna be a tall one. I was hoping a small stove that wouldn't get near as hot would be OK.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    I love woodstoves. They can be expensive to install. I installed mine by myself, but the double wall stainless steel pipe cost $700.
    We also have an unvented gas heater. This runs on propane. It is code approved for a living room or den, but not a bedroom. The heater cost $200. It uses very little propane. It takes up little space, it mounts right on a wood wall. It is brown, has the blue flame. It looks real good.
    Guarantee, it would heat your basement. It has a thermostat, it is a great little heater.
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    these folks put a insert in a fireplace the day before this happened

fire1.jpg

fire2.jpg

fire3.jpg

fire4.jpg

nuff said

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you got the advice you needed but I will add something to it.Chimney's that are built with the sole intent of useing a furnace in most cases were built with a smaller inside lineing.This makes for fast build up of creosote almost a certain way to catch your chimney on fire.Our house has an oil furnace which we dont use because we mainly use the heat pumps.But the chimney for it is smaller than the one to our fireplace,which can be used to burn wood.However we use gas and our fireplace has a 3 stage blower so you can use it for heat if you choose,and I do.When I light it in the summer just to relax it doesnt put off heat because it all goes up the chimney.As for takeing the dampness out of your basement try a dehumidifer I run two year round and have the hose's ran to the drain so I never have to worry about emptying them and the newer ones you cant even hear run.Our basement isnt damp or musty at all.part of it is petioned off for liveing quarters,thats where I go when I get put in the dog house.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all the money it would cost to install a woodstove I would just get a Toyo or mointer stove. If you have a gas hook up they sell ones now that have no vents and come with an O2 sensor to shut off if the O2 level get too low or a gas space heater that you can duct to your flue. Also by code you cannot have a gas/oil appliance in the same flue as a wood stove. No matter what anybody says this is very dangrous.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wood stoves are not all that expensive to install. In fact it is kind of fun. I have installed several. The brick work is a fun thing to do as well and makes the installation very safe and unique to your taste. I have never had any problems with the stainless type of chimney and they are very easy to clean yourself. I always clean twice a year and have never had a problem.

True, they are a bit messy carrying in the wood and carrying out the * etc ... but I find them very economical. Especially if you have your wood delivered in 8 foot lengths and you get to do the rest yourself!![:D]

I like Jotul and Vermont Castings wood stoves the best.
    edited November -1
    andersk, what do you mean not expensive?
    I have only 14 feet of the insulated pipe, which is about the least you can have, and I paid $650 for it. And, I got it at a big discount at Lowes'.
    As to the installation itself, that is fun, I agree. I have done 3 myself. This one I made a hearth of antique bricks, looks great.
    Andersk, what kind of pipe are you using?

ps I am a big Jotul and Vermont Castings fan too.
    I love cutting stovewood with that Stihl.
    I just split up a load with my maul an hour ago.