In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

military question

Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How long is it usually before being deployed overseas when the orders come? Do the orders come by phone or written in the mail?

Comments

• Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "To the Shores of Tripoli" in the Marine Hymn refers to when they were sent to clean out a nest of Mediterranean pirates operating out of North Africa. Now there seems to be a nest of Somali pirates operating around the Horn of Africa. Would you support the Marines being sent in again or are we just too occupied worldwide? Do you think someone else should do it?
    edited November -1
    What does Semper Fi mean? I asked an ex marine one night in a bar but he wouldnt tell me, he just seemed to get mad about the whole subject.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
    edited November -1
    I was watching an HBO special about fighting in Afghanistan and noticed that one of the US soldiers had Glock pistol, also noticed that different types of rifles were being used.
    One soldier had what looked like an m4 ar15 with MAGPUL hardware and what looked like a hunting scope mounted on it. Another soldier looked like he had an older m16 with only peep sights.
    Question; can a soldier use his own weapon of choice? Can a soldier use his own personel weapon?
    edited November -1
    i was a commisioned officer,USMC, in the seventies. my id card says indefinite on it. i would like to go to iraq and help,maybe remf, front lines i don't care. i know the military is shorthanded but they tell me i have to have 20 by age 60 to get back in which won't happen. i don't care about retirement. i'm in reasonable shape for my age. i don't care if i'm cannon fodder. i could relieve some young people. has anyone heard of age waivers for my situation? is there something the locals aren't aware of?
    edited November -1
    I really want to be in the military but I want to at least finish High School first and maybe even College. What are the benefits of finishing College and being in the military?

What happens if im in ROTC in college and then join the army?

I MIGHT want to try to be a sniper for the Rangers, please dont make fun of me because it seems unrealistic. What would I have to do to try and become that?

What is the max. age you can be to be in the Special Forces?

Whats the minimun age?

How do work my way up into the Special Forces? Do I join the Army then join the Rangers, or go strait to Ranger School, what?

Is there anyone here that was in the Rangers, SEALS, Green Berets, etc?
    edited November -1
    A member of my wifes family is in the USMC. But won't be for long. He re-enlisted at least twice that I know of. And wants to again.
    BUT THEY WON"T LET HIM. Apparently it stems from this
    He was a recruiter and got a DUI while driving a Govt. vehicle. They busted him in rank and moved him out of recruiting, back to regular service. And now say he (as I understand it) hasn't met USMC promotion requirements to stay in.
    I had no idea there was a "promotion requirement" in the military. And I find it odd that no worse than his (one that we know of)offense was, that particularly in a time of war, they are in essence, kicking him out.
    I guess the days of Sergent Highway, the drunken low rank lifer are over? Sound right to you?
    edited November -1
    Do we still have a bunch of troops in Germany and I was thinking about Nuremberg
    edited November -1
    Do we still have a bunch of troops in Germany and I was thinking about Nurenmberg
    edited November -1
    Typically do soldiers use eye and ear protection while in combat?

gren_ani.gif

Come and Take it

Dont mess with Texas
    edited November -1
    If the military doesn't stop our government from completely destroying our constitution, shouldn't it be considered "Dereliction of Duty?"

I mean, to me, it seems that they should be forced to storm the capitol or be brought up on charges, right?

(I hope that nobody takes offense at this. When I look at what I am paying in taxes and what I am getting in return, it just frustrates me!)
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a Marine, ex-Army.
    But anyway I know latin, sort of,
    Semper Fi is short for Semper Fidelis latin for Always Faithful

James
    royalthaiarmy.gifrtaflag.jpg
    Do your troops train with live cobras? ROYAL THAI ARMY DOES!
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Kuhlewulf has answered it perfectly.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,509 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My buddy Gary was stationed in Thailand in the Vietnam War, at an Air Force base.
    One day, he had smoked his daily joint, and had headed down to a local Thai bar. He saw a little green garter snake and picked it up. The little snake coiled around Gary's arm.
    When stoned Gary went into the bar, he created a commotion. All the Thai people jumped up and ran out, keeping clear of Gary. He thought, What the f***?
    The owner was behind the bar and he looked scared. He said, Gary, walk slowly out of here and drop that snake, or you will die young in Thailand.
    Gary said, What is your problem man, we have garter snakes in Georgia.
    The owner said, That is a bamboo viper and you will not live long enough to run out the door if he bites you.
    Gary got out of it alive, east is east and west is west, and never the twain shall meet, I guess.

He never talked about the Thailand cobras.