In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got the mortise machine.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Found one in the paper selling for $50.00. The man got it for a gift,set it up and used it once, then put it back in the box. He said he couldn't get it to cut right. Offered him $40.00 and he took it. It came from HF (central machinery) and my experience with these tools is that you have to modify some of them out of the box as they aren't always true.(some of their tools are not worth a penny).
I set it up and made a few adjustments to the fence alignment and ground a couple of rough machined areas. It now cuts almost perfect mortises in 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" with little effort. "I'm ready to rock".
I would say though that for the regular price of $189.99, I would have spent a little more and gotten the Delta model, but for $40.00 you can't go too wrong.
Thanks![^]

Comments

• pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $40 you did good. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you describe this machine for me? How deep of a mortise does it cut? How wide?
    I need a machine like this for a particular cut I have to make when log building. I am doing this cut now with a chain saw, it is tricky.
  • intercessorintercessor Member Posts: 437
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a real bargin, congrats!
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Ok Daddo - I've got a mission style oak side desk to finish building - I'll be sending all of the pieces over by tomorrow - don't worry - I marked where all them square holes need to go[:D][:D] Sounds like a good deal!!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    Would you describe this machine for me? How deep of a mortise does it cut? How wide?
    I need a machine like this for a particular cut I have to make when log building. I am doing this cut now with a chain saw, it is tricky.

Now that's an interesting aspect of the construction industry that I have never done. I've always thought it would be neat to build a log home, but I have never had the oportunity to do so. What part of the country do you build in?

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
    edited November -1
    I am near Asheville NC.
    Log building is fun! It is completely different from framing. You get a good workout wrassling these 300 pound logs.
    Come on by I will give you a tour.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by allen griggs
    I am near Asheville NC.
    Log building is fun! It is completely different from framing. You get a good workout wrassling these 300 pound logs.
    Come on by I will give you a tour.

I might take you up on that one of these days, when I'm down that way doing some paddling.[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Hey Daddo - I put a bid in on a 12" planer at one of the auction houses here. The Auction was last night and we had a birthday thing to go to. I called today and I had won for $150.00... Just ran about 20 slats through it for the side desk I'm doing - works great!!!![:D][:D] I really won't send the oak for mortising - I set up the jig and need to start punchin about 8000 holes[:(] Anything to make Mrs. Blue smile!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BTT

Daddo - I'd like to know what size/style of mortise this machine will cut too. I've been putting together plans for a modified post&beam log structure and, so far, the most complicated part is in making the jigs for the mortises and tenons. Some can be reused on different logs, but a lot can't because they get "chewed" up in the process of cutting the joint.

allen griggs - what kind of mortise are you cutting on the homes you're building?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
    edited November -1
    Skkywatcher I am cutting slots, or mortises, in the header logs at all door and window openings.
    The log cabin will shrink and settle. I put a piece of angle iron on each side of every door and window opening. This is 2x2 inch, 1/4 inch thick.
    This angle iron needs to go 6 inches up into the header log. So I need to cut two mortises, 2 inches long by 5/16 wide by 6 inches deep into the bottom of the header log, for each piece of angle iron.
    I have a little bitty Stihl chainsaw that I use for this cut alone. You set the log upside down on the floor and make the cut. It is difficult with a chain saw and you risk cutting through and destroying the log.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    allen griggs - can you do that with a router? Seems to me that most of the books I have show someone using a router for that, but I could be wrong?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Sorry I missed these posts.
    The mortising machine I am talking about is used in the woodshop for cutting the square holes for a tenon to fit. This makes a strong butt type connection in making furniture. The machine looks like a drill press, only it has greater leverage and takes a bit called a square or mortising bit. The bits on this shop machine go from 1/4" to 1" only, so it wouldn't do you any good for the log home. The depth is as you set it and will go up to 5 inches.
    The bit is of course round and it sits inside of a square (very sharp) chisel. As you drill, the drill bit drills a round hole and the chisel cuts the square hole at the same time. The waste is sent out of the side slot of the chisel. It has a 1.5 hp motor and runs at 3500 rpm.
    Blue tic---- Your gonna love that planer. You can take old lumber and make it like new again ( you might want to get a metal detector called "little wizard" to find any nails or metal in the old wood) You can custom the wood to any thickness and it makes cuts flat and clean. Don't know how I ever done without one till I got one.
    edited November -1
    Daddo--This machine will make a mortise 5/16 wide, and it will go 5 inches deep. Now, will it make that mortise 2 inches long?
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    The bit is (lets say) 5/16 wide. You make a 5/16 cut the first cut,then move the wood and make another 5/16 cut and so on till you have the hole as long as you want. You can have an infinitely rectangular hole. The depth of the hole goes (I'm quessing) 5 inches deep.
    If you picture a 2x4 sitting on edge on a table and you are looking down at it, you would see a rectangular hole, x-deep, and x-long,and 5/16 wide.This square hole is where the tenon, cut in the adjoining wood piece would fit into making a very strong joint.Like placing the square peg into the square hole.
    edited November -1
    Ok Daddo, this is good. The machine will make the cut I want.
    Now, the other problem. You mentioned a 2x4. I need to place a log which is 12 inches high into the machine. Any way to do this? Could you cut the stand off, and weld an extension on to make a higher stand?