In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Propane space HEATERS

upinyeupinye Member Posts: 68
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is going on in America with the availability of gas space heaters?? Namely ventless PROPANE infrared heaters in the 28-30 thousand BTU range. Used to buy them everywhere for $125 to $225 Now I can NOT find one anywhere...Harbor freight...Lowes.. Home Dopot.. Tractor Supply...Forget about it, none available. Some on internet,but all refurbished or used and at a premium price. WHAAAATS UPPP???????

steve

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May be the time of year is the problem. Sales were best in October and November. Now the merchants are getting stocked with warm weather goods.

Last year when I bought my heaters, I got them from the propane supplier. They sold Vanguard heaters and offered installation too.

By the way, I think I made a mistake in not getting the thermostat controlled models. I bought the ones with manual control only. They work great--just unhandy to have to get up and go turn them up or down.

For what that's worth,
    Rafter-S
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,502 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have them for sale here in Asheville by the hundreds at Lowes and Home Depot, at least they have them in October.
    I was just checking them out the other day, Depot has ten left. These are 40% off, they won't stock any during the summer.
    I have one and it is great. Mine is the blue flame model.
    They only sold a few of these heaters until the blizzard of '93. Power was out for 6 days. The rich folks at Biltmore Forest, with their forced air gas and oil furnaces, were all freezing.
    After that, everyone started buying these little heaters. The millionaires would put one in the living room and build a cabinet around it so you couldn't see it, just to have it on standby.
    If you want, I could get one at the Depot and ship it to you.
    ps I like the thermostat model, too.
    ps2 You know, I spend a lot of time in Atlanta. The Depots in Atlanta have never sold these heaters, weird cause they sell hell out of them up here in the mountains.
    ps3 When I say the Depot has ten, I mean they have ten or twelve total. Some are blue flame, some are infrared. Some are propane, some are natural gas. Some are 10,000 btu, some are 30,000. They may not have the model you want, you may have to wait for October.