In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Men Who Built America

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in General Discussion
Excellent series. On now---History Channel.
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,401 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, I've watched parts of episodes in the past. Some pretty cool stuff, but the way some of those jokers treated people, well they just needed a 45-70 slug to the melon. Pure and simple.
  • Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watched the one on Daniel Boone today. Never realized what extremes he went through.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watching Kit Carson right now. About his California experience during the Mexican War. His family roots go back to Rowan County, NC during the 1770s.
    What's next?
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dammit! Makes me wish I was at home and not on the road so I could watch.

Not a show about pawn shops, or guys digging through an old barn to find a 1946 bicycle. That is the kind of bs that they usually show on the History Channel.

Hope they will do reruns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 50-70RB
    Watched the one on Daniel Boone today. Never realized what extremes he went through.

I just missed the segment on Davy Crockett at the Alamo. The Boone, Crockett, and Carson roots were all out of the same part of NC.
    What's next?
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Watching Kit Carson right now. About his California experience during the Mexican War. His family roots go back to Rowan County, NC during the 1770s.

And Boone's goes back to NC also. His trail to Kentucky went thru the middle of my little home town, and a road actually still follows the original trail between here and a certain university town. A marker stands in town to commemorate it. The road winds like a snake for miles, as the original trail had to go around large rocks and trees. Why was Daniel Boone in my town? His wife, Rebecca, was kin to my MIL's family. Small world, huh?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fideau

And Boone's goes back to NC also. His trail to Kentucky went thru the middle of my little home town, and a road actually still follows the original trail between here and a certain university town. A marker stands in town to commemorate it. The road winds like a snake for miles, as the original trail had to go around large rocks and trees. Why was Daniel Boone in my town? His wife, Rebecca, was kin to my MIL's family. Small world, huh?

Big time small! Most of the Carson folks stayed in the south, but Kit's parents moved to the Midwest. If I'm not mistaken, their family name was spelled Carsane back in the Scottish Lowlands, circa 15-1600.
    What's next?
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We could use a few good men now
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    when will the true stories come out about those who are trying to tear this country apart....
  • Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Well howdy. Rebecca (Bryan) Boone is a sister to one of my great something grandfathers.

Small world after all.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,545 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the episodes are available here.
    https://www.history.com/shows/the-men-who-built-america-frontiersmen/season-1/episode-1

I can log on to my Direct TV account but my connection is to slow to stream it.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did I see that DVD at Walmart? Or was it another one History Channel pushed out? I remember seeing statue of liberty or some half built sky scrapers. I'll have to take a better look.
  • Options
    fideaufideau Member Posts: 11,893 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by diver-rig

Well howdy. Rebecca (Bryan) Boone is a sister to one of my great something grandfathers.

Small world after all.

Cool. Rebecca's mother was the link in my wife's family so no bloodline to Daniel himself...only thru their children I guess.
    What's that about 6 degrees of separation? [8D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks drobs will watch at a truck stop on Sunday.

I wonder if they will do a show on Simon Kenton, he was a Kentucky frontiersman on par with Daniel Boone.

Davy Crockett, Daniel Boone, Simon Kenton, these are a bunch of Celts we are talking about. Ancestors from Wales, Ireland, and Scotland.
    A warrior tradition going back 2,000 years. I am a Celt.