In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What's going on in Boston?

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited January 2007 in General Discussion
Suspicious packages everywhere?

Comments

• KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hallo McLane, this is Simon, would you like to play a little game

[:D]
  • SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KSUmarksman
    Hallo McLane, this is Simon, would you like to play a little game

[:D]

lmao [:D][:D]
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats going on in Boston?
    I'm wondering just the same! My son applied to Berklee College of Music and he was supposed to hear today if he was accepted or not. This morning, he recieved an e-mail stating that they will let him know March 31st!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
    Yes Berlee is in Boston................
    Sorry had to vent!!!!
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,310 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Somebody send sumthin' to Shathook's house?
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never much thought Boston had anything going on. Just not one of my favorite groups.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    All that tea finally washing back on shore, I'll bet... which reminds me... we really could use another good tax protest!!!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Me thinks someone is in BIG trouble....

Boston devices a cartoon marketing ploy By KEN MAGUIRE, Associated Press Writer
    2 hours, 48 minutes ago

BOSTON - Ten blinking electronic devices planted at bridges and other spots in Boston threw a scare into the city Wednesday in what turned out to be a publicity campaign for a late-night cable cartoon. At least one of the devices depicts a character giving the finger.

ADVERTISEMENT

Highways, bridges and a section of the Charles River were shut down and bomb squads were sent in before authorities declared the devices were harmless.

"It's a hoax - and it's not funny," said Gov. Deval Patrick.

Turner Broadcasting, a division of Time Warner Inc. and parent of Cartoon Network, said the devices were part of a promotion for the TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force," a surreal series about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball.

"The packages in question are magnetic lights that pose no danger," Turner said in a statement. It said the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

"We regret that they were mistakenly thought to pose any danger," the company said.

The marketing company responsible for the campaign, Interference Inc., had no immediate comment. A woman who answered the phone at the New York-based firm's offices on Wednesday afternoon said the firm's CEO was out of town and would not be able to comment until Thursday.

Police said only that they were investigating where the device came from, but an angry Mayor Thomas Menino said a stiff penalty will be pursued against whoever was responsible for the devices.

"It's about keeping a city on edge. It's about public safety," he said.

Homeland Security Department spokesman Russ Knocke praised Boston authorities for sharing their knowledge quickly with Washington officials and the public.

"Hoaxes are a tremendous burden on local law enforcement and counter-terrorism resources and there's absolutely no place for them in a post-9/11 world," Knocke said.

Authorities said some of the objects looked like circuit boards or had wires hanging from them.

The first device was found at a subway and bus station underneath Interstate 93, forcing the shutdown of the station and the highway.

Later, police said four calls, all around 1 p.m., reported devices at the Boston University Bridge and the Longfellow Bridge, both of which span the Charles River, at a Boston street corner and at the Tufts-New England Medical Center.

The package near the Boston University bridge was found attached to a structure beneath the span, authorities said.

Subway service across the Longfellow Bridge between Boston and Cambridge was briefly suspended, and Storrow Drive was closed as well. A similar device was found Wednesday evening just north of Fenway Park, police spokesman Eddy Chrispin said.

Wanda Higgins, a 47-year-old Weymouth resident and a nurse at Massachusetts General Hospital, heard about the threat as she watched television news coverage while preparing to leave work at 4 p.m.

"I saw the bomb squad guys carrying a paper bag with their bare hands," Higgins said. "I knew it couldn't be too serious."

Messages seeking additional comment from the Atlanta-based Cartoon Network were left with several publicists.

"Aqua Teen Hunger Force" is a cartoon with a cultish following that airs as part of the Adult Swim late-night block of programs for adults on the Cartoon Network. A feature length film based on the show is slated for release March 23.

The cartoon also includes two trouble-making, 1980s-graphic-like characters called "mooninites," named Ignignokt and Err - who were pictured on the suspicious devices. They are known for making the obscene hand gesture depicted on the devices.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Song Lyrics -
    Dirty Water by The Standells

I'm gonna tell you a story
    I'm gonna tell you about my town
    I'm gonna tell you a big bad story, baby
    Aww, it's all about my town
    Yeah, down by the river
    Down by the banks of the river Charles (aw, that's what's happenin' baby)
    That's where you'll find me
    Along with lovers, fuggers, and thieves (aw, but they're cool people)
    Well I love that dirty water
    Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, you're the number one place)
    Frustrated women (I mean they're frustrated)
    Have to be in by twelve o'clock (oh, that's a shame)
    But I'm wishin' and a-hopin, oh
    That just once those doors weren't locked (I like to save time for my baby to walk around)
    Well I love that dirty water
    Oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)
    Because I love that dirty water
    Oh, oh, Boston, you're my home (oh, yeah)
    Well, I love that dirty water (I love it, baby)
    I love that dirty water (I love Baw-stun)
    I love that dirty water (Have you heard about the Strangler?)
    I love that dirty water (I'm the man, I'm the man)
    I love that dirty water (Owww!)
    I love that dirty water (Come on, come on)