In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My new "used" 30-30

kyplumberkyplumber Member Posts: 11,111
edited December 2006 in General Discussion
img0005bl2.jpg
img0004gd8.jpg

Gave $270 for it out the door.

Trying out my new camera, anyone else have a canon A540? this thing has too many functions! [B)]

Comments

• Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Recently I have been taking a liking to lever guns... I would like to get a 30-06 in a lever gun..
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Sir, is that a live round in the tube?
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco

[:0][:0]PS!
  • Options
    sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you did alright.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco

What good is an unloaded gun?!!!!

[:(!]
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    What good is a loaded round in the tube, unless there is already one in the pipe?!?[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    What good is a loaded round in the tube, unless there is already one in the pipe?!?[;)]

Very true, but this is my first lever gun and I am uncomfortable with having the hammer cocked, even with the saftey engaged...
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Just leave the hammer down.
  • Options
    PC800PC800 Member Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The great Col Cooper always said that a lever gun should be carried with an empty chamber, and a round jacked in as the rifle was brought to the shoulder to fire.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Gee, it looks alot like my marlin that I just got for $200 out the door about 3 weeks ago (without the scope)![:D][:D]
    IM000280.jpg
    IM000278.jpg

But I will say you take better pictures than me! I got a great camera, just no patience to set up a nice picture.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very pretty rifle.
    I spent a summer living in the wilderness of British Columbia. The guys up there favor lever guns, because to get around up there you have to ride a horse. Lever guns fit in the saddle scabbard so much better than bolt guns.
    The only "industry" in that area is trapping, and guiding big game hunts. Guiding big game hunts is dangerous. Say your client shoots a moose. You and the client go back to camp to get pack horses so you can get the meat out. When you return, a grizzly may have staked a claim to your kill. Then, there will be a fight between the humans and the griz to see who gets the moose. Whenever these guys return to a kill, they always have one guy as a "guard" while a couple of camp helpers quarter the moose. So, these big game guides and trappers never go anywhere without their lever action rifles.
    Their favorite rifle, believe it or not, was the Marlin 30-30. Some of the guys used that Savage lever gun, I think it is the Model 99, in .308.