In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I Am Going to Jersey

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2014 in General Discussion
I have to make a delivery on Tuesday in Cherry Hill New Jersey.
How bad of a hell hole is Cherry Hill?
New Jersey is regarded as the second worst place in the land to drive an 18 wheeler, exceeded only by Chicago. New Jersey has of cities and towns, very crowded, bad traffic, lots of weird exit ramps etc.

I am hauling a load of catalytic converters which were manufactured in Mexico. My girlfriend bought a cat for her Infiniti I 30 and the part alone cost $1,850.
How much would a truck with 3, 140 catalytic converters be worth?
I bet the New Jersey Mafia would like to get their hands on my truck.

Comments

• Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I knew Cherry Hill when I was in high school- I didn't think she was THAT bad.
  • Options
    footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    Yeah.Foot made Eave's cherry 'pop' [:p]
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    declare a box o twinkies at the border for king christy and you shall pass[:D]
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just outside Camden. It's not the mafia you have to worry about anymore. You'll be fine. What exit off of 295 do they have you taking?
  • Options
    MFIMFI Member Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only decent part of NJ is Cape May .. After that forgetaboutit....
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Back in the '80's we had a load of frozen shrimp hi-jacked in Jersey...$100,000.00....That's why I won't ship on a truck line that doesn't give me an insurance form...
  • Options
    hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay off the GW bridge....
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have my sympathy.
    RLTW

• Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    way to advertise a senstive load on the internet. Either way this isnt mad max where trucks are hi jacked at every corner. Not saying stuff doesnt get stolen it does.
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear it.Resident of Jersey for 55 yrs
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Mary Hill was such a thrill after dark in Cherry Hill Park.
  • Options
    woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    Stop And Pick up OAKIE He will Ride Shotgun if'n Ya Buy him Lunch[:D]
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sell catalytic converters. Depends on the brand and type (pre obd II, OBDII, Heavy load, spun body etc.) Could be worth $100, 000 +- The only cats I'm aware of being made in Mexico were Valina and they are garbage. What brand are they?
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cherry hill is an upscale neighborhood.
  • Options
    HavegunJoeHavegunJoe Member Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not bring hollow points into Jersey. Big jail sentence for that little mistake.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Cherry Hill ain't bad. My sister in law lives there. Have visited many times and it's actually a nice area.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HavegunJoe
    Do not bring hollow points .

I've never seen a "hollow point" that wasn't just a bullet that had a space full of air.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by scrumpyjack
    Just outside Camden. It's not the mafia you have to worry about anymore. You'll be fine. What exit off of 295 do they have you taking?

Exit 31 toward Woodcrest Station.
  • Options
    scrumpyjackscrumpyjack Member Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell, that's almost "in the country", by Joisey standards.

Oakie's right. Cherry Hill is a very affluent area 'burbing Camden.

Are you deadheadin' out of there? If you and your brother have time to spare, hit the shore for a day. The water's great right now![:D] And no BNYs to deal with.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cherry Hill- not so bad.

Camden? Be out of there before dark.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lived in Cherry Hill for a couple of years.

You shouldn't have any problems.

Be careful not to stray into Camden though !

[;)]
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nards444
    way to advertise a senstive load on the internet. Either way this isnt mad max where trucks are hi jacked at every corner. Not saying stuff doesnt get stolen it does.

Paranoid much?

What time on Tuesday is he getting into town? What kind of truck? Color? Plates? What route?

He hasn't provided anywhere near enough info to even be in the ball park of advertising it. Loosen the foil a bit...
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jersey like Godzilla...

Not bad just misunderstood.[:o)]
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Cherry Hill ranks better than New Jersey as a whole, and the U.S. as a whole as well.

http://www.usa.com/cherry-hill-nj-crime-and-crime-rate.htm
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I have been to Camden, twice. That is a rough town.
    I am glad to hear that Cherry Hill is upscale.
    The only thing I know about Cherry Hill is it was featured on one of the true crime shows I like to watch.
    A Rabbi in Cherry Hill had a girlfriend and decided to get rid of the wife. He hired a hit man who killed his wife. Very sensational trial, about a decade ago. The Rabbi's son was a doctor and testified against his dad, the hit man confessed to a reporter, it was pretty wild. Rabbi got life.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Allen,
    You ain't been any where until you been to the old Hunts Point Market in NY city. In the middle of winter, when you turned the corner on the street leading to the Market, there would be hookers on the side walk, wearing nothing but a fur coat. They'd show you the "wares" when you drove by.
    The locals all had a pickup that would run 80MPH in reverse. When you turned onto Market street, they would pull right behind your trailer, going backwards. A guy in the back of the pickup would have a set of bolt cutters. They'd cut the lock on the doors, swing them open and start pitching freight into the pickup bed. When you realized what was going on and stopped, the guys in the trailer jumped back into the pickup bed, the pickup driver put it in drive and stood on it.
    Made money, whether they got 3 cases, or 30. This happened all the time.
    A guy I knew from Arkansas had been robbed like this 2 or 3 times, and was mad. He had an old International Trans Star Cab over, with a 318 Jimmy in it, an almost empty refer with 2 pallets of frozen meat on the floor in the very front of the trailer. Hunts Point was his last drop.
    When he turned the corner he watched the hinges on the trailer doors, when he saw them swing open. He put his foot in that old Jimmy and got up to about 35 MPH, jumped on the brakes, set the Maxi and stepped out with a short barreled 12 gauge.
    The 2 guys in the trailer slipped on the icy slick floor, and slid to the front of the trailer. There is no honor among thief's, the pickup driver quit his buddies about the time the truck driver toughed off the 12 gauge. The trucker ran to the back of the trailer and shut the doors, got back in his truck and went down the street to the market.
    He backed into the dock with the doors closed, because he had frozen on, and waited for his appointment. When they opened the doors, the guys in the trailer where almost dead. They had torn cardboard off the 2 meat pallets, trying to build a fire, they where not in good shape.
    We always called that ol' boy Eskimo Maker on the radio, after that night in Hunts Point. Last time I talked to him, he owned D&R Produce in Siloam Springs Arkansas, and owned about 30 trucks.
    I've also heard that they have cleaned up Hunts Point Market.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KEVD18

Paranoid much?

What time on Tuesday is he getting into town? What kind of truck? Color? Plates? What route?

He hasn't provided anywhere near enough info to even be in the ball park of advertising it. Loosen the foil a bit...

NO I should I have put most of that in green, notice the Mad Max comment. As somebody is worried about going to jersey like its Iraq or something. But in all seriousness if your somewhat worried about things saying Ill be there on tuesday and what I have in the truck isnt bright. If you know anything about OPSEC or secruity every little bit information can help somebody
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I arrived alive in Cherry Hill, barely. I got the right exit, number 31 off of 295 N. was supposed to go 1/2 mile and turn left on Woodcrest. My GPS did not read Woodcrest. The road sign said "Oak Road" so I went straight.
    Mistake.
    In one block, I was in a Yankee rapid rail station, where 3,000 New Jersey Yankees drive in so they can get on a commuter train.
    There was nothing to do but back out 3 blocks.
    The New Jersey residents were very understanding as I backed up a one-way street. One guy in a Bronco zipped past me at 30 mph, shot me a bird and yelled "Get the F*** outta Here!"

Another resident ripped past me on the other side, doing about 25, flipped me a bird and yelled "Get the F*** outta my way you dumb Cracker!"
    They could see my North Carolina license plate.

I was afraid that a Yankee would do a dive into my truck so he could sue a trucking company, but, that didn't happen.
    Got out, backed up, turned around and got out alive. Made the delivery on time.