In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Am I gonna die doc?

thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
edited April 2002 in General Discussion
Bullzeye isn't the only one trying to kick off a few pounds. I have unexpectedly become a plump monkey over the past year. I'm 6'2 and 240, any heavier and I'll have to change my nick to the super gorilla. I've never really had to loose weight before so I'm neophyte on the subject. I picked up a few pieces of advice from Bullzeye's thread and came up with a plan that I started a few days ago. I'd like to loose weight as fast as possible, but I'd also like to survive the whole ordeal. In the mornings and evenings I've been doing 25 pushups, 25 sit-ups, 1 mile of mostly walking (some light jogging), weights and swimming. Usually I'd have a cheeseburger for lunch and pizza, wings and beer for dinner, and Cokes all day. I've been drinking nothing but water and lots of it (2 liters so far today). I've also been eating five times a day, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, and dinner. If (this is a big if) I'm able keep up the pace, how long before I can expect some changes, and is there anything I can do to loose the pounds faster?
the phat-fat monkey

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Keep the Faith. You did not gain it all in one day. Soooooo It will take some time and a culture change to loose it all.
  • Options
    badboybobbadboybob Member Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Monkey try to get up to 50 push ups, 100 sit ups and 3 miles a day jogging. It will take time to work up to this, but stick to it. Then you can try some upper body strengthing stuff like light weight training and a pullup bar.
    At age 38 I retired from the USMC and could do all of the above. On my last test I finished the 3 mile run in 17.5 minutes.
    You can do it too, just keep at it, and let us all know how you're progressing.

PC=BS
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    supersimian-I'd love to tell you that there is a quick fix, but there's not. Sure there is alot of hype surrounding certain diets, but time and again these are proven not to work, and if they do the weight doesn't stay off.

You have to stick with it. This isn't just some deit, this is a lifestyle change. Ultimately you just need to eat 250-300 calories less than you're burning a day and you'll be losing a few pounds a week. This doesn't sound fast but it's the real deal. Once you stick with the routine, you won't even think about it anymore. You'll fell the improvements in your health and see the difference in your body. One thing you may want to try. Have someone take a picture in nothing but shorts and that days newspaper (or something with the date visible), and about once a month take another picture. Being that you're in your body all day every day, you won't see the difference until you compare the photo's. Stick with it bud, you'll be glad you did!

Some people just shouldn't be allowed to breed
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Easy Munkey, don't eat!

You can expect to loose a good bit quickly and then lose more slowly after two or three weeks. You should average about one or two pounds a week. Drop a couple of stars, they are really heavy (said He Dog, closing fast, puff, puff, from the rear.)
  • Options
    simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I dropped 20 over the past four months. My routine sounds similar to yours:

I eat something at 6a, 9, 12, 3, and 6p (or as close as I can get). Usually goes something like this - Oatmeal and bananna, cup of yogurt, turkey sandwhich (lettuce, tomatoe, cheese, and mustard) and apple, some pistachios, and normal supper (grilled/baked chicken, green beans, and sauted squash) or something similar. I try my darndest to stay with complex carbs like whole wheat bread. Cut back on my potatos, rice, and pasta. But sometimes I just gotta have a donut or some ice cream .

I have an edge on you with the PUs, SUs and Run - I'm required to maintain by Uncle Sam (and my 1st Sgt. ) I try to get in a 30 min. run every night (the dogs like to help).

I drink artificially sweetened tea instead of H2O (I know, I know). But at least it doesn't have any calories.

Anyway I'm averaging about 5lbs. per month, so keep it up a while and see how it works for ya'. I'd like to drop about 30 more and get on down to about 195 (started at 245).

Good luck!

We only have a few special years with our children in which they desire our time, attention, and love. After that time is over, it is gone forever, and we will be the ones that desire their time, attention, and love. Make those few, short years count -
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I've been on a serious diet/exercise plan for a month and I've dropped 15 pounds. If I wasn't too stupid to post the link...I'd post the link. I bought a BowFlex machine and the diet/exercise plan comes from the BowFlex owner's manual. If you're interested look up Bowflex on the net and browse their manual on-line.

I eat a 300 cal. breakfast, a 300 cal. lunch, a 200 cal. mid-afternoon snack, a 500 cal. supper and a 200 cal. evening snack. 1500 calories total. Along with this diet is an every-other-day workout on the BowFlex. I've also added some treadmill time, hard walking or bicycle riding on the off days. The doctor who developed this plan for BowFlex says you should lose 25 pounds in two months and I'm pretty much on track.

It ain't easy, Munk. Especially if you're a dude (like me) that likes to eat.

I'd double the water intake if I were you. My diet says 1.5 gallons per day. I spend half my time drinking and the other half pissing.

Good luck.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.

Edited by - Lowrider on 04/30/2002 18:40:57
  • Options
    ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gained 20 pounds over the winter. Now I am having the JOY of trying to lose it.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Monkey

Glad you saw the light! It sounds as if you are on the right track. The key will be to keep your intake of starchy carbs down and stay away from fatty foods. Like the instrumentofwar said it will take time and effort, but it will be worth it in the end. Exercise is the best thing you can do so the push ups/sit ups should be continued and increased as your condition improves. You absolutely must get approximately 30 minutes of moderate cardio-vascular exercise in at least 3 days a week. This can take many forms as in swimming, speed walking, jogging, biking etc... etc.... A good rule of thumb to tell if you are at a sufficient intensity is that if it's somewhat difficult to hold a normal conversation you are at the right level.

Stick with it and good luck!!

Lt

"We become what we habitually do. If we act rightly, we become upright men. If we habitually act wrongly, or weakly, we become weak and corrupt" - *ARISTOTLE*

**Like Grandad used to say--"It'll feel better when it quits hurtin"
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought monkeys only ate bananas. Try that diet, I bet you'll be swinging from the treetops in no time!

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    mcneely77mcneely77 Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I probably gained 20 25lbs this winter. I need to join the rest of you. I would love to get back to Army APFT standards for my age. It certainly is a long road. But it was fun putting it on.

Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.

IALEFI, ASLET, NRA, and proud owner of a pair of S&W revolvers.
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Aha!

So the monkey is looking a bit more like a baboon now, eh?

Bah. It's no biggie. Dont eat fried crap, dont eat a whole lot of meat or cheese or chocolate, and walk/jog 30 mins. a day.

Starving yourself or refusing to ever eat meat or mayo or cheese will only give you cravings in the long run, and going without for a few months makes for a huge binge when you finally give in.

Just take it easy. That's the best approach I can think of. Use just a little bit of mayo in tuna or on sandwiches. Eat chicken wings or Burger King just once a month (at most). Use a lot of salt and pepper instead of oil or cream-based stuff.

Try salsa or hot pepper relish, if you like that stuff. It's got 0 fat and almost no calories, and it's a great mayo substitute.

See? Most of the things that are important about dieting, you already know!

Remember Ockham's Razor. Try it out. Weigh yourself weekly. If you keep gaining, try something different.

PS- GOOD LUCK!

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    The LawThe Law Member Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullzeye; We're tracking you down girl!!!

"What we have here... is Failure to Communicate"
  • Options
    BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    And what precisely do you mean by that?

A fine cigar gladdens the soul."Remember, there are only two: The Quick, and the Dead"
  • Options
    BullzeyesDadBullzeyesDad Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes son, tell them who you learned that from. BullzeyesMom. well tell them son. dont you take credit for it.
    Bulldaddy
  • Options
    5db5db Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck Monkey. And to answer your question, I'm no "doc" but, yes you will die. And if you stay with it, sounds like you'll be easy to carry too.....

If you have one shot...Accu-Shot Website
  • Options
    BullzeyesGrandpaBullzeyesGrandpa Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Son, I speck it mite be a good time to get ur son that ther one way ticket to Iraq

your dear ole grandaddy
  • Options
    will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Slow pace running is better for losing the pounds than fast running. I don't know why, it just is. There is a magic 30 minutes after physical training that you should seek some high vitamin/nutrient food. Your body will use those nutrients against fat and overall unhealthyness. Use light weights, for now, and high reps. Warm ups and stretching are part of exercise and also burn a few calories. Most of all, don't cheat yourself! If you think of taking a shortcut, you save a few calories that you really want to burn. Luckily I am a runner. I do the Camp Wilson to mainside run once a month and that helps alot. That's 8 miles to my house on mainside by the way. Just work up to it and don't overdo it. Little things like drinking cold water help too. Your body has to use calories to warm the water so even intake uses calories.

With all of this fine advice you will lose the weight and we will be callin' ya, "the skinny monkey" before you know.

~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to stay on top of it most of the time, so here are some of my ways to keep yourself right when you start to slow down in the weight loss. Fruit for breakfast, as soon as you get up (starts the metabolism. REDUCE YOUR PORTIONS, 1 plate only, and not overflowing. Stay away from the complex carbs, especially when you are eating meat. Don't cut things out all together or you will be tempted to binge on the bad stuff. Eat the 5-6 times a day, it keeps the metabolism high. Lift weights as well, as your muscle gets more solid it will burn twice the calories at rest than it normally does. keep exercising, and don't set goals for running and swimming, pushups etc, that are too high. Work at it slowly and just enjoy the fact that your are getting healthier, if you jump on the scale every day, you will lose interest. ONCE A WEEK, and just stick with the program, it will happen.

When in doubt...empty the magazine!!
  • Options
    CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there is only one way to lose weight... burn more calories than you consume. most of what everybody else said is good advice,but you either have to changhe your lifewstyle to burning more calories or consume less calories. you might try a product called body solutions it seem to help you burn off calories while you are sleeping,but this is not the hole answer,and it only works on the excess calories you already have stored as fat. lots of luck. iknow it can be done i went from 298 to 207 in 6 months and have kept most of it off even though i am getting older and less active. CARL
  • Options
    lazywallruslazywallrus Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nobody in here will agree with me , but metabolife really works . I take it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Ive lost 20 lbs since Febuary. You dont have to worry about over eating, because your stomach will be so ful of knots you wont be able to eat at all. Also you will be amazed at how much you will get done around the house, since you will only be sleeping 3-4 hrs a night. Dont worry about that nervous twitchy feeling it will go away after a while and as long as you dont have a pre-existing heart condition you should be OK.

P.S. If you wash it down with lots of strong black coffee it seem to work alot better.

Live fast , die young , leave a good looking corpse..