In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GUN DEBATE CONTINUES TODAY (THURS)

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just turned on C-SPAN-2 and the debate continues. Frist just finished talking and pointed out that 33 states have already passed some form of gun industry relief from these lawsuits. (My own state Senate passed a bill yesterday which should soon be signed by the governor).

I doubt that I will try to post as much on here today unless it gets interesting again. Yesterday proved the Dems are willing just to fill time. Daschle and Boxer are both expected to introduce their amendments today... Boxer's should be interesting--NOT!

Boxer is pitching another bill which "guarantees the quality of safety locks." Her bill allows for a "federal cause of action" in case a state "doesn't get its act together" on a suit. She calls it "double protection for the kids." I call it "REDUNDANT!" Oh God, HERE COME THE BIG BLUE CARDS AGAIN -- ! Did the Democrats really think the American people and the Senate needed a LECTURE???

Sigh...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The wheels turn so SLOOOOOOOWWW
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    select -- Yeah, and we risk boring one another to tears trying to summarize it all here all week long. I'm going to limit myself to hi-lites today (if it kills me). Boxer is now reminding us that we regulate Play-Doh...(we do??)... and telling us all a bedtime story about "a beautiful young man." Aaaagh.... Another story supposedly connected to Bushmaster? Nope. It's still about safety locks... He'd be alive today if only that gun had been a butcher knife, I guess.... Yes, folks.... Suddenly -- THE SENATOR'S TIME HAS EXPIRED. She's asking for one additional minute to conclude. Best thing she's said so far.... Oh, "I could go on" she says. No BLEEPING doubt, honey! Which is why they need limits...

Now Daschle is up to give an amendment, and slipping in the remark that he "partnered with Craig in part because we agree about the need to consider these amendments" or words to that effect. We do??? He did??? What?? Where do these people GET these notions..... Oh, yes, Daschle now stressing that his amendment "took a lot of time!" Well, Tom, a lot of work wasted then, eh? He still hasn't mentioned just WHAT his amendment IS, and now he's changing the subject. Indian tribes? What the ....?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by offeror
    Boxer is now reminding us that we regulate Play-Doh

We do!!??? Well shoot! Now is the perfect opportunity to end federal play-doh regulation. That is absurd and it is time for that regulation to end. I say they should place an attachment on the gun bill that prohibits play doh regulation.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    quote:"a beautiful young man."

If someone called me that, I think I would have to kick the crap out of them![}:)] OYE!!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Offerer - thanks for the updates to those of us in the office and the like. Glad to hear the IN Senate yesterday passed our state bill. So we "watch 'n pray, son, watch 'n pray."
    edited November -1
    Daschle's minor amendment passed. Craig is now speaking AGAINST the Boxer gun lock amendment because the gun industry is voluntarily moving in that direction, and because "the home is a private place." Boxer and her friends surely need reminding of THAT.

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    offeror, this is all posturing for the benefit of the sound bites and Congressional Record. Add seeds, water, and watch how the garden grows.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
    edited November -1
    They're now voting whether to approve Boxer's amendment about child lock requirement for storage in the home. My Senator Lugar seems to have just voted "Aye." Strange. He voted with Feinstein.

The trouble with this child lock requirement is this: the Dems will then SURELY claim that if all your guns don't have them on constantly at home, then you are negligent. There is nothing more useless than a gun that doesn't go bang when the home invaders bust down the door. Not only that, it may be the nose of the camel in terms of this bill's amendments.

I'd agree it's just posturing, except if you now get gun locks "for the sake of the children," your life has just been changed by Boxer and her cohorts.

• bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RE: Boxers charts.

I believe I am correct that the Uniform Crime Report tables
    consider "a child", as anyone 18 years of age, and under. Also, it
    doesn't differentiate between accident, crime, suicide, etc. I tried to pull up the UCR and it is in microsoft XL, and I cannot read it.
    But, from looking at them in the past, I think I am right.

Woodstock.gif
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
    edited November -1
    Let me get this straight. They are going to try and require me to have trigger locks on all my guns, IN my home? Who are they to tell me what I can and can't do in the privacy of my own home!!!

• NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    So Lugar voted for the Boxer amendment? Sad. I was apprehensive yestereday when emailing those GOA messages to Lugar and Sen. Bayh.
    Pray this isn't the start of auto-yes'es on the other proposed amendments.

If the lock thing is passed and signed, does that mean we'll be committing a federal crime if a LEO happens to be at door for some other matter, say get our version of an accident we witnessed, and he/she sees evidence of gun ownership, then checks to see if they're all "safely" locked and hardly accessible?
    edited November -1
    Well Well Well, I don't have any children in the house !
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    quote:Let me get this straight. They are going to try and require me to have trigger locks on all my guns, IN my home? Who are they to tell me what I can and can't do in the privacy of my own home!!!

I thinks this would apply if they want to come in a lok for gun locks

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
    edited November -1
    Boxer's amendment just passed, requiring gun locks be sold with all guns, or at least handguns. Not sure. Anyway, this now gives them the opportunity to accuse anyone of negligence if their gun results in an accident and it wasn't locked up.

Next to be considered is a Concealed Carry amendment. Kennedy is mentioning a "cop killer bullet" amendment for later... what's up with that?

Orrin Hatch is now going to speak about the CCW thing -- this one gives qualified retired or former LEOs the right to carry concealed.

Senator Dodd of Connecticut just got up. He's saying he represents more gun companies than any other Senator.

My natural question at that moment was, well, then, what are they telling you?

But he brushed on by that point -- to complain loudly (he spit on his own jacket) that he is outraged that "we are adding amendments to such an outrageous bill which protects an entire industry from lawsuits."

Well, Dodd, if the Dems hadn't cranked up a cynical and craven effort to damage the entire industry by means of a concentration of lawsuits, no bill would be necessary to stop it. See your own people about that. And while you're at it, ask yourself if you really "represent" your gun companies back home at all. They need to be about the business of boosting this guy out of office in CT.

edited November -1
    I have a number of guns that I doubt I could find a way to emplace a trigger lock on. Either way why should I have to? It's my own place of residence!! When the government starts telling you what you can and can't do within your own house, (within reason) it is time for the people to wake up and start paying attention. This whole thing is getting downright scary.

edited November -1
    Gun violence being the 2nd leading cause of death in children? WHERE THE HELL DOES HE GET HIS INFORMATION?!?!

• 3gunner3gunner Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope Colt has stopped manufacturing long enough to turn the T.V. on and watch their Senator.
    edited November -1
    The gun lock business passed 70-30(approx)-Quite a few republicans in that mix. Frist was one of them.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Dodd just said dont expect this gun lock business to pas- he said we have been through this before-the senate passes it, and all the nice provisions get shot down. He is screaming at the moment,

-Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Board members from Ohio, your senator, Larry Craig, that man is a real firebrand. He is a credit to all of us. Could it be our letters are working? Also the way these senators keep violating parlimentary procedure, you would think they had never been senators before! Coule it be they are all this stupid? If I attempted to carry out a job without following correct procedure, I would be fired in a day!!

edited November -1
    OK I will be away from the board & C-SPAN 2 for at least the next 30 minutes to complete my Macroeconomics midterm. Please keep up the posint so I can catch up on anything I miss. Thanks everyone!

• trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep us updated.

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
    edited November -1
    The Democrats have careened back to a discussion of unemployment again. It seems they know the ratings for C-SPAN-2 have shot up (and the phone lines are still jamming to Congress) so they've decided to make hay while the sun shines and put on a show for those tuning in. They're using the big show 'n tell visual aids again.

I just fired off e-mail and phone calls notifying my Senators, and Craig, that Kennedy's amendment contains a mistake -- the word "caliber" instead of "cartridge." I contend to them that it cannot pass with that error in it. I let them know it has no business passing anyway, is D.O.A. in fact for trying to ban rifle cartridges as being "armor piercing," but I want them to know Kennedy wrote a mistake into his dumb bill too. People like him know nothing about firearms -- it's all hearsay and liberal magazine articles -- and have no business trying to legislate about them, for reasons precisely like this. They botch it every time.

edited November -1
    Whats all this going on about trigger locks being a federal law?!

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
  • 2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kenedys list of preposed Armor pericing bullets.As defined as able to penatrate level 1 soft sody armor.

1. 223

2.30-30

3.30-06

6.257 roberts

7.50 cal

8.S&W new 500 mag pistol

9.ANY bullet able to penatrate level ONE soft body armor.

It would be easier to list the bullets that can't penatrate level one body soft armor and I,m not totaly sure these won't penatrate 25 apc,380,9mm,38spl,40S$W,357,and 44 mag
    Keep in mind they are talking level one with No truma plate!

Also anything that can penatrate a lightly armored limo are cause a chopper to crash. I heard a story of a chopper being downed by a bird.You think they will ban those too?

IT "S better to die by fire then serve by force

It's not gun control. It's personal defense elimination. They only want to control ours.
    edited November -1
    Separate versions of every bill must be written for the House and the Senate (true federally and at state level). After both houses pass their versions of a bill, they must be conformed to each other before going to the President (or Governor) for signature. In this case, it COULD happen that Boxer's gun lock amendment be jettisoned after this bill passes the Senate and goes to committee to be mated with the House bill. But if not, then Boxer's amendment would require the sale of a gun lock with every gun -- and she spent a lot of time talking about how people would be negligent if they didn't get one. This at least implies that lawsuits for negligence could be filed when a gun was misused that had not been "properly stored and locked," and God knows what the lawyers and judges would interpret that to mean. So the gun lock amendment is a step toward arbitrary liability rules, at the very least. I'd have to read the amendment to say anything in more detail.

edited November -1
    Question: Which shotgun is .50 caliber? 12 gauge?

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    So if someone used a hacksaw to cut the trigger guard off of a gun and removed a trigger lock is the manufacturer of the hack saw and the hardware store that sold it liable? What about if someone used a set of bolt cutters to cut a cable lock, is craftsman and sears then liable? These fools are fools and their foolishness is foolish![:(!]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
    edited November -1
    ....Which got me to thinking ...

What would Kennedy's bill do about the .45 caliber slug in a BRI sabot shotgun shell? Ban it, or no?

What would his bill do about the CZ-52 ammo, especially the sabot handgun round by Quality Cartridge called the ".223 Timbs." It's .223, after all. Would it become illegal because it's called .223 caliber instead of .22 caliber?

edited November -1
    All of em' have talked all day and got nothing done. I am bored.
    edited November -1
    Does kennedy's bill have any real support? Does it look like it is going to pass?

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I thought outside of natural illness the biggest cause of child death was due to abuse . In most child abduction cases where the child was killed, was either blunt force trama or strangulation, I also would like to see the sources of their information..There are more kids drowned in pools by accident than those accidently shot..BAN THE SWIMMING POOLS

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
    edited November -1
    By the way, the Democrats are busy being upset again -- the latest Republican proposed amendment to the Gun Liability bill is one making the 1965 Voting Rights Act permanent -- something the Dems LOVE, but don't want to see attached to this bill, because of course it makes this bill that much more attractive. Any bill but this bill, they say. So now if they vote against this bill THEY CAN BE ACCUSED OF VOTING AGAINST MAKING THE 1965 VOTING RIGHTS ACT PERMANENT, which would not please their Afro-American base. Dodd is now begging and pleading.... [:D]

• 2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I understood the gun lock debate the goverment would have probable cause to search your home if you had both a gun and a minor in your home.Also the new gun lock bill would require the goverment to approve all gun locks and require that the guns not be sold unless there where goverment aproved gun locks with them.Now if the dems got control of the yea and NEY on the gun locks then they could stop all gun sales.

IT "S better to die by fire then serve by force

It's not gun control. It's personal defense elimination. They only want to control ours.
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PATBUZZARD
    Gun violence being the 2nd leading cause of death in children? WHERE THE HELL DOES HE GET HIS INFORMATION?!?!

Al Gore made such a statement in 2000 during the election. His exact comment was that "12 children are killed everyday by firearms in America." This is simply not true. Got to the Centers for Disease Conrol website (run by the gov't by the way) www.cdc.gov/nchs/datawh/statab/unpubd/mortabs/gmwki.htm and seach under ICD 922.0. You will see that the actual number of American children under the age of 15 that are killed by handgun accidents each year is only around 20. For the whole year. Now, every one of those 20 deaths is tragic, but consider this . . more children die in because of government mandated airbags and by drowning in mop buckets EACH year than by accidental handgun deaths.

So, where do they get this number? Well, they add up all deaths of people under the age of 20 that involve a firearm in any way. This figure includes drug dealers shooting each other, and criminals shot dead by cops or fellow citizens while committing a rape, robbery, murder, or some other felony.

It's all lies ladies and gentleman, all lies. Never, ever to they stop to think about the lives that were saved because a savage rapist was shot by an intended victim BEFORE he had a chance to do his crime. No, now that rapist is included in the "12 children killed each day" by guns.[:(!]
    edited November -1
    At the moment the Senate is voting on the Craig-Frist amendment to "increase penalties for use of armor piercing bullets during a crime." This is designed to overcome Ted Kennedy's amendment on armor piercing ammunition, which would have banned the most popular rifle rounds, the .50 BMG, as well as the new .500 Magnum.

• 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    offerer, did the Craig-Frist amendment to increase penalties for use of armor piercing bullets during a crime pass? If so, did they define what they considered to be an armor piercing bullet? What classification of armor does the bullet have to be able to defeat to qualify? The reason I'm asking is that if they are able to get any round that can penatrate 16 guage sheet metal as "armor piercing", how long will the focus widen from being "used in a crime" to simply being "armor piercing"? What a load.[V]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."