In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hawk problems

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hawks are killing Toolbabes chickens. I found another pile of feathers today where one got a chicken. At any given time I can spot 3 circling around here.
I hate these things.
TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    shotgun shovel forget

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Only $5000/bird to shoot them. We are infested with them. There are hundreds if not a few thousand in this county alone, but because they are endangered we can't thin them out. The predatory bird protection doesn't take into account the redtails are a fast breeding adaptable bird.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Compact_KidCompact_Kid Member Posts: 257 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is a hawk? Never really seen one in person[:D]
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Shoot, Shovel,Shut up....

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    They are doing what god intended. Maybe a chicken cage? my 2 cents

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We also have lots of hawks and owls so we keep our chickens in a pen with a wire top. Haven't lost one yet.

The downside to getting rid of the hawks and owls is you will have an abundance of mice and rats.

Take your pick.

Rafter-S
  • InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how can't u like hawks? they are beautiful birds.
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    When man takes a predator and protects it, it only makes a braver and more confident predator. They are thick, but Feds still think they need protection. Man fooling with nature again.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    God I love the raptors!!

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    The chickens have free range over the property around the house and are like pets (until one ends up for dinner, YOUR dinner)?

An aviary sounds kinda expensive...

dome.jpg
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://wildlifedamage.unl.edu/handbook/handbook/allPDF/bird_e53.pdf

Also, I've read good mature roosters help protect the flock by keeping an eye for attacks from above and emmitting a warning cry to tell the hens to take cover.

I've also read that people who keep a few guinea hens with their free range chickens have better luck as the guinea hens are alert and make lots of warning noise when they feel threatened. If the chickens are reasonably smart for a chicken, they hear the noise and take cover (though it will take them some time to learn this).

Shooting the hawks can get you into all kinds of trouble.

http://ynot4free.com
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    You didn't say that you actually saw a hawk kill one of your chickens. There are a number of critters that could be responsible for piles of feathers.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once they locate the chickens and eat at the buffet the hawks will return. Usually daily.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I have a Great Horned Owl that lives in my woods. He was good for a full grown chicken every couple of days. I'd find a couple of feathers and that's it. Took me a while to figure it out. I caught sight of him one day looking at me on the tractor from way up in a split pine tree. When he knew I'd spotted him he took off. What a huge bird! I never begrudged him a chicken now and again. It was worth it just to have such a magnificent creature on the place.
    Those redtail hawks are everywhere though. I shot a quail once and before it hit the ground a hawk swooped down and snatched it out of the air. They know that the shotguns going off means dinner and that we are not allowed to shoot them. The raptor law needs to be breed specific I think.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Ronald J. SnowRonald J. Snow Member Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the past we have raised geese along with ducks and chickens. Owls were the problem until they tackled a goose; end of owl. Try a couple of geese and perhaps that will help; if not, they are fairly good eating.
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Hawks are visual predators and have extremely good eye sight. If you have something that * in the breeze and moves constantly that will help deter the hawks. Get yourself a few aluminum pie pans, some twine, get a couple of good long sticks with a limb sticking off the side, stick the stick in the ground and tie a piece of twine to the limb, poke a hole through the edge of the pie pan and tie the loose end of the twine through the hole. The wind will kick that pie pan all over the place and help keep the hawks at bay. Do you need cover for your chickens to get under and hide, bushes and shrubs work good but so will a small lean too. Last but not least a good rooster will make a big difference. We allways had big mean roosters that wouldn't let any animals around the hens. Cats, dogs, most people, anything that came within their territory got flogged.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."