In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SHORTEST shot

2»

Comments

• Options
    quickslvr982quickslvr982 Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whats a nutria
  • Options
    DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 20 lb. rat. There was a thread about 'em a week or so ago, should still be there, a few pages back. I'll see if I can find it.

DarkStar11Walk In Peace...But Carry A Big Stick
  • Options
    imadorkimadork Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was testing some Sellier & Bellot rubber buckshot on an old couch from 2 meters. The entrance hole in the cushion was 1 inch across, and the exit hole was 2 inches. It penetrated the body of the couch but didn't penetrate the back of the couch, which is perfect for my purposes. When I asked a S&B sales rep what the estimated range of lethality was for this ammunition, she said it was not supposed to be used at a distance of less than 10 meters. Hehe. Perfect for home defense...
  • Options
    thesupermonkeythesupermonkey Member Posts: 3,905 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A long time ago, my father had bought me an Air Rifle as a present. Grandma agreed I should put it to good use by keeping the black birds out of the garden. I enjoyed meandering around, popping birds and keeping the neighborhood cats well fed. As I marched along the backside of the property, avoiding prickly vines and mosquitoes. I heard a quick peep to my right. A quick scan of the area revealed a small, fluffy sparrow watching me from a few feet away. He danced on the railing, peeping at me and cocking his head to the side as if he was introducing himself. A turned and pointed the rifle at him, expecting him to flutter off. Instead he moved down the rail even closer and began peeping at me, almost like he was asking "What is that?". The barrel could have been no more than a foot away from his tiny body. I waited for what felt like minutes, and slowly applied pressure to the trigger until. Twffffffft! The little sparrow fell backwards off the fence and into the grass beneath him. I picked him up and held his little body in my hands. It was obvious he was dying. His tiny eyes fluttered though his body remained motionless. His small quiet peeps began to sound like sobs between his panicked gasps for air. He looked into my eyes as his warm blood ran down my fingers. His peeps were becoming less frequent as were his gasps. I felt a guilty knot welling up inside my throat. He looked into my eyes and gasped his last 2 or 3 breaths, and then he was gone. I knew I was wrong. I killed that poor friendly, curious bird out of pure maliciousness. It still makes me sad to think about it. I was never able to shoot an animal after that.
    Munkey the Softy

Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the fragmentation grenade addressed 'To Occupant'.
  • Options
    MafiosoMafioso Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Point Blank - from behind - coup de gras

Let them sleep with the fishes.
  • Options
    Dyer_MakerDyer_Maker Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have you all beat. How about a -1 inch. Thats hard to beat. And you wonder how I did that? Well, that possum should not have been chewing on the barrel of my .22 . I would say my barrel was at least an inch inside his mouth when I fired the gun .lol
  • Options
    RockinURockinU Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    couldn't have been more than 2-3 feet. Was a highly agitated hog (the dogs had raised her ire). It was with the old model 94 30-30 I keep behind the seat of my truck. It was a running shot too...I was running and she was right behind me. I had aspirations for a tree, but when it became apparent that my forward progress was going to be insufficient, I sort of contorted my body in a half turn (never quit running) and shot her right in the top of the head. My buddy that owned the dogs asked "Well what the hell did you run for in the first place if you were going to shoot her"...seemed like the thing to do at the time.