In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This forum and the First Amendment

.280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2002 in General Discussion
Seems like we go through this once or twice a year, maybe it's time that we have a discussion about it again.

I've been noticing a number of posts lately where a member expresses his or her dislike for the way in which some posts/threads get poofed (deleted) by Admin. These posters seem to be under the impression that their First Amendment rights are being trampled upon.

The problem is that nobody, from an "Advanced" member with thousands of posts, to a brand new member making his very first post, has any First Amendment rights, whatsoever, here.

The reason that the First Amendment doesn't apply here is that this is a privately owned and operated site. The rules about what is allowable are what the owners say they are, no more, no less. Of course, members are always going to jump in and say something when they think that a certain post goes too far, in their opinion. We are all free to do that. Doesn't really mean anything, though, as Admin always has the final say on what they will allow.

By my posting this, don't assume that I am trying to set myself up as some sort of spokesman for the group, or anything of the sort. I'm not. I simply felt that it was time to talk about it and hear what some of the rest of you think about it.

Comments

• Options
    n4thethrilln4thethrill Member Posts: 366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good post.280 they can poof all of mine if they want lol

you can be king or street sweeper but everyone is going to dance with the reaper
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I figure it's their ball and their bat so they can set the rules. If you don't like it go find another game. I don't have a problem with it and am glad that I don't have to moderate it. I really enjoy the site even if my mouse's ball is getting a little chapped.

AD ASTRA PER ASPERA

To the stars through difficulties
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry- my point is- some words are not well to speak and some control must be met. This is not fringing on freedom- but respect, not only for oneself,but for all. To make it law- I have a problem with that!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
    edited November -1
    Mr.280, I could not have said it better. Thank you.

nunn

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    FUBARFUBAR Member Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its not about 1st ammendment rights or what gets poofed (deleted) by admin. or a moderator (those rules are clear). The point is trying to be made that the deck has been stacked by the members who have posted numerously, to decide whats o.k or not. There is also a problem with the alter ego's Nunn's included, how you can get gang tackled by one or two members.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    Judge DreadJudge Dread Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Top hen pecks low hen.....

The master always precide over the commoner.....

The king rules over its subjects ......

Allways you will have to kiss some idol butt in order to survive ...
    Or smash it with a sledgehammer..

Poetry:

Once you are at the top ...
    You are the top hen ...
    ,the king ,the idol...
    with a polished rear end ...
    Beware of infidels ..
    with Sledgehammers then!.

And That is quite democratic! ,you can get away with whatever you white here , the thing is in the way you express it that matters...
    ,read Machiavelo ,the art of war,and Paladin press (getting even).

JD

Good...? , Bad...? Who cares ? as long I am the one with the the gun.....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Point made,Point taken. Gee and some thought you were abstract.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    * -

I would like to address your statement about the deck being stacked by the members who have posted a lot.

Personally, I don't think that is true, being that as individual members here, we really have no way of doing that. Certainly, any member has the right to weigh in with his thoughts on any particular thread, but what difference does it make what Saxon Pig, Whiteclouder, Rembrandt, or any other prolific poster feels about something? They have just as much right to their opinions as you have to yours, or I to mine, but simply because a certain member doesn't care for something that has been posted is no guarantee that anything will happen. That is totally up to the owners and operators of the site.

You touched on another subject, that some members tend to travel in packs, so to speak. There is a good explanation for that. Some of the people here know each other personally, and are friends, apart from the boards. You tend to stick up for your friends, don't you?

Also, a lot of folks here have been acquainted with each other on this and other boards for a long time and have developed friendly relationships, even if they have never actually met in person. These people will often tend to stick up for one another, within limits, of course. Nothing unusual there, as far as I can see, happens on all the boards that I have ever been to.

I would be interested to hear any more thoughts that you have on this.

Or, you could just tell me to stick it in my ear and mind my own business.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LTS -

What's that?

Can't hear ya, sonny, speak up!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
    edited November -1
    * is mistaken.

I am an equal opportunity poofer. I don't care how many stars a poster has. I have poofed posts and threads that contain material from people I consider my friends.

Sometimes it may seem that a newbie gets lots of stuff poofed, and that may be true in the beginning. We seem to pick up a few that either don't know where the limits are, or are wanting to push it to see. They get poofed a lot.

Sometimes an older user has gotten angry, and has posted ugly stuff. That goes away too.

Dread, I am no idol. I do not want my posterior polished. Nor do I want to be swatted with a hammer. That would hurt!

I just want everyone to behave as gentlemen and ladies and not post anything you would not want your wife, daughter, mother, pastor, etc. to read.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Options
    carbinekingcarbineking Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why is there a rating system anyway that keeps track of number of posts, etc? I have never seen a forum that does this. Dailyjolt.com, a popular college forum doesn't do it. Ebay's doesn't either. Gunbroker is its own thing, so no big deal, I have no problems with how they operate this forum. Just eliminating the rating thing would eliminate issues of "who's better." Just because you've discovered this site earlier or post more, doesn't really mean that much past how many stars you have next to your name and your title. Just my ramblings. I've been reading this forum for six months or so and finally decided to get an ID and put in my two bits a month ago.
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    carbineking,
    The stars dont mean a darn thing to anyone except people that are new here, as far as I know. I was shocked and embarassed to find out how much I've posted here when the stars and posts info. started. The only thing I like about the stars is that you tend to get an idea of who might actually know what they're talking about. The more time you spend here, and contribute here, you are bound to pick up on some useful information, so I use the stars for that purpose, and that purpose only. There are exceptions to my previous statement: there are those that really post nothing about guns; and those that know a lot, but dont post, so have very few posts, you have to figure that out as you go. Since I really only care about guns, and Josey1's news, and some of the other fun discussions, I tend to pay attention to the senior/advanced members comments on guns, just because I figure they know more or have the potential to know more than I do.
    My .02 worth.

SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    airborneairborne Member Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being fairly new to this, all I know is that if 'nunn' agrees and states, "I could not have said it better. Thank you" then that's the way it is.

Reminds me of RHIP (Rank Has It's Privileges) and correct me if I'm wrong, but 'nunn' is the ranking individual here.

B - BreatheR - RelaxA - AimS - SightS - Squeeze
  • Options
    mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "stars" system was already part of the program that GunBroker bought to upgrade this site. You buy that program, you get the "star" system. Wasn't their idea.

FYI.....Believe it or not, even I have been "poofed". And you all know what a "loveable fuzzball" I am. Outrageous, but true.

Mudge the placid

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • Options
    4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    Mudge,I am all in tears!

"It was like that when I got here".
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What!!!

Poof me? Hah!

They wouldn't dare....

would they?

Clouder..
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...just a quick announcement...."The five star poofing club" meets tonight promply at 8:00.....make sure you bring your list of newbie poofing nominees........"to poof or not to poof...that is the question".....whew!, I'm all poofed out....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi painter! i was glad to be able to share with the rest of the members how you like to make your chili. Now that's about as close to PC as i can get.

Guns! Guns! Guns!
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any gun board that will poof a thread of mostly biblical quotes is an equal opportunity poofer, and thereby, okay with me.

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    RockinURockinU Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    These aren't the only boards that have a star thing...I sometimes visit a rare coin board that does the same thing. Besides, you shouldn't be threatened by some one who has a lot of stars...all that means is that they have nothing else to do. (Just kidding guys, don't go ballistic on me)