In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Quality

s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
Seems to me that price and quality usually level off at some certain point.For example;is a $1,2oo Sig or Kimber worth double the price of a Ruger or Browning(cost of $600)?Like to hear opinions about that.

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.

Comments

• Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Something I learned while dragracing which applys to guns as well.
    The first 90% of performance cost 10% and the last 10% increase cost 90%.[:D]
    In other words the high dollar guns are not a whole lot better than their moderately priced compeatators.[^]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    13 years in retail has taught me, among other things [}:)], that the high dollar "brand" names are NOT worth the money you pay. Much is simply marketing. Now, I am not saying there is no differance. There usually is. But it is not a the 2,3,4, or more times better.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually see that expressed as the 80-20 rule. 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people, or in this case 80% of the quality comes at 20% of the price while the remaining 20% of the quality adds 80%. In many ways this is true. You can buy a rifle scope that will serve you for years on most hunts, but to get the scope that will let you see the deer in the last 2 minutes of light costs substantially more for better glass and coatings. To some degree this is also true of firearms. It is hard thought to distinguish just where you are starting to pay more for a name. Savage pobably makes the most accurate out of the box rifles, but they are mostly ugly and the fit and finish are not up to others. Do you want accuracy, or fit and finish? Sometimes you get both, but it costs.

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality concerns and profit margins are things taught in the best business schools, but margins vary with the type of product. Mediocre diamonds can carry a sinful mark-up, for example, especially from less than ethical jewelers. Musical equipment is often marked up as much as 100%. Usually, a fair profit is considered to be around 30%, and negotiable, in a quality business environment. But quality is a very rare bird, indeed.

Given that the AK-47 and the Glock are two products that are among the very best at doing their jobs reliably and under the harshest conditions, there's no question that it is possible to have quality without a premium price. In fact, you can pay extra for that Lincoln or Cadillac, but for a long time a Toyota was a far superior piece of well-integrated engineering, and cheaper even though it was imported.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpg Life Member - fortbutton2.gif
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Have you priced a Toy lately?!!![:0] You may as well by a Caddy for what they want. They are a good vehicle (my two sons are Toy Techs) but they are way over priced!!![:p]

Self defence is an ablsolute and natural right. Keep your powder dry! J. Rau, Alaska
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality is sometimes means different things to different people. Someone who has never shot anything but a Ruger will swear it's the best revolver made...others will tell you the Remington 870 is the finest shotgun ever made...when it comes to quality, neither of these statements are accurate.

You may cringe and pucker at the price of a Krieghoff shotgun, but there is no question the engineering and quality is there...you're not just buying a name, but a precision piece of workmanship that will far outlast cheaper shotguns.

...the truth is, you get what you pay for....Think a Freedom Arms revolver is overpriced? Show me another revolver that has the precision-tolerances-fit & finish that's any better. A Kimber is a pretty fair 1911, but it's far from being the same quality of a Wilson Combat.

Same with scopes, Ziess and Swarovski have quality that far exceeds the cheaper brands.

My buying habits are different than most, I look for quality first and price last....it's not that I have unlimited bundles of cash to throw around, would rather wait and get better quality...those items tend to have a better resale value over time.

= nra2.gif
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with all the above statements.I am an avid Ruger fan and collector owning nearly(I wish every Model) every model they have made in Rifles shotguns and pistols,with the exception of the new Black Label SXS shotgun.If I were going into combat I would trust a $500.00 Ruger P-series as much as a Sig.It comes down to a matter of want for me.I have two P-229's both .357sigs,but I really want a P-228 in 9MM.Now if your talking about combat with a Jennings I hope thats what my opponent is armed with.LOL

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"