In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How was the Salem Gun Show?

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Any good buys,great buys,alot of stock avaliable,prices to high?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"

Comments

• laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't go Saturday--- went to Greensboro instead, and now wished that I had gone back to Greensboro Sunday. Sunday, as usual, the private sellers were carrying the usual overpriced handguns, worn-out rifles, and rusty single-barrel shotguns. The show itself had a greater than usual collection of peanut vendors and camo clothing vendors--- even a table where you could trace your family tree ! I can appreciate the promoter trying to make a living, but it seems to me that all this flea market stuff is coming back to bite him in the a**.
  • 4wheeler4wheeler Member Posts: 3,441
    edited November -1
    I do not know the price on the guns,too many people to even get close to them. I did get a good buy on some powder and .375 H&H brass.It was the most people at a gun show that I have ever seen before,this was Saturday. I only saw one table with AK-47`S for $289 but do not know if they were SAR-1. I highly reccomend taking your wife if you go to a gun show,I did[:D]

"Keep dangereous weapons out of the hands of fools-start with computers"
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    As 4-wheeler said, it was wall to wall people! Generally the same dealers as always but did see some decent prices on new stuff if you were looking for it. The powder, primer, ammo, bullet vendors were there and as always had good prices on their stuff. A few good peices offered by individuals too! There were some empty spots on the main floor.....kind of unusual for Salem!
    Laxcoach was probably a little put out because it was too darn cold to stand out front and check for bargains before people got inside! At least Saturday was too cold for that! Sunday may have been different! Didn't you get that LC Smith sold in Greensboro!!!!???GHD
    edited November -1
    GHD, Just for the h*** of it, I performed a little "test" of honesty of dealers this weekend. As you know, I pride myself on my knowledge of Elsies, and have recently acquired a rare (probably one-of-a-kind) Smith. At Greensboro Saturday, I stopped at a dealers table who had several Elsies and played dumb about the gun and asked him to help me put a fair value on it, and added that I would consider selling it. He was very informative, researched the year of manufacture, pointed out the special order features, and told me what the gun was worth to a collector. He made me an offer (2k), adding that he would resell the gun for a figure above that. On to Salem Sunday---- same senario-- the dealer there who I know to be very familiar with Elsies, proceeded to tell me that the gun was "dangerous" because of Damascus steel barrels (not true), "short chambers" (not true), and "modified" by a previous owner (not true). He valued it at $400 as a "wall-hanger" and offered me the same, only because I have the original leg of mutton case. In a word, let the SELLER beware at Salem !!!!
    edited November -1
    laxcoach, That "dealer"(loosely fitting term here!) wouldn't generally be just as you enter the door on your right up against the wall with about 4 tables would he? I don't even turn my head when I'm passing that one!!! GHD
    edited November -1
    You got it !!!
    edited November -1
    laxcoach, He even has a store where you can visit everyday for a general dose of "you're a dumb smuck and I can rob you blind if you let me"!! GHD
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salem is usually one of the best shows around.Its been 3yrs since I was last there,I bought a nice used 270 Weatherby Magnum for a good price.I planned on going this time I had done invited a friend to come along.But I ended up haveing to do some errons and a relative from Indiana came in for the week end.My wife didnt get home until after 8:00 PM,so we spent Sunday with my aunt.I found a trade in S&W 410 at a shop in Bristol.Been wanting one for a while,but the Barrel rifleing looked like it had been shot out.So I passed on it,but Im still looking.GHD did you find the Remington 22 you were wanting?I seen in the Feb issue of guns that Remington has chambered the .17 HMR in the model 700.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"