In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ABS Anti-Lock Break System What do people think?

WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What do people think of anti-lock breaks?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE

Comments

• familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they suck. The more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop it up and the more expensive to fix.

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Once I put them to a real test there great.

psalms 16
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Hate them. In many cases they engage in situations that don't require it. Can't count the number of times that annoying hammering happened when all that was needed was a nice even pressure on the brake. Sometimes a controlled slide is a good thing. I also find it very distracting when ones attention should be focused elsewhere.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can say that they do work.

The manufacturer says that you have to stomp on the breaks for them to work. Wrong........ if the front wheels stop turning when the brakes are applied, whether on wet or dry, they do their thing.

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They work for people who stomp on the brakes anyway in a panic. I've used them to stop skidding on ice and the computer does do a pretty good job of keeping the car moving straight until it stops. And they claim you won't stop any faster if you pump regular brakes.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Yeup they work.

I've had them come on quite a few times. It reassures me to hear the clatter of them going off that I'm doing all I can to get stopped :).
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,596 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them, I have a 97 Pontiac Transport and it stops straight on ice and snow pack, no skidding.

Chris8161
    Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof!
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I like 'em. It would be nice to have a switch so you could turn them off, though.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    No use for them at all. As people in this country become dumber and more incompetent Detroit feels the need to make cars more and more idiot-proof. Anti-lock brakes are for people who can't drive.

BMW motorcycles is even putting them on their bikes. [:(!]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    love 'em, wouldn't buy a car without 'em.
    Came around a curve in the left lane of the freeway at 60 plus, two cars stopped in my lane due to a slight fender-bender, nowhere to go left or right: stepped into the ABS on my Astro van, and stopped straight and fast, with enough room to put a fist between my front bumper and the stopped car. Hail technology!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BMW has had them on their bikes for some years and they work really well. Most of the guys that say they "had to lay it down," actually locked the front brake and it laid them down (yep, been there). Dosen't happen with ABS. Maybe I can't drive, I think I can, but I will take any edge I can out there.

He Dog
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like 'em keep me from skidding past my driveway.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like them when you cant judge road surface condition and in panic situations when there's no time to think. They've proven their value on a few occasions.
  • jptatumjptatum Member Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing that has come along since seat belts.

J. Patrick Tatum
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that they are great here in Northern Wisconsin where there is ice and snow often. Maybe the people that dont like them dont know what driving in the winter is like.
    w
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My Harley has Anti Dive brake system, would that be considered anti lock?

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love them and would say they have prevented accidents among some of the most skilled drivers.If your front tires lock up you will not be able to steer the vehicle at all,it goes with the shift of weight.But as long as the tires remain rolling you can steer and hopefully avoid a collision.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"