In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEW ENGLAND FIREARMS OPINIONS SOUGHT

beau123beau123 Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
[?]ARE THE NEW ENGLAND HANDI-RIFLES OF GOOD QUALITY. I NOTICE THEY ARE RUNNING UNDER $200 FOR THE SINGLE SHOT 243,270,7MM-08 CALIBERS AS WELL AS THE NEW .17 CALIBER. I NEED SOME INPUT ON THIS RIFLE. PLEASE HELP WITH YOUR HONEST OPINIONS.

DON

Comments

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not bad for a very basic rifle. Could you specify who this gun would be for, and what type of use you expect to get out of it. There's lots of really sharp people here on GB, welcome to GB, and I'm sure everyone will do what they can to point you in the right direction.

My dad started my little sister out with one of these and the rifle has held up just fine to my knowledge. I would expect a person who shoots frequently to "outgrow" it rather quickly and then want another rifle, probably a different caliber, and probably more expensive. But all that would depend on how often you shoot, and what you're shooting at, ect.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    The Handi rifles are a fine little gun and extremly accurate! You also have the option to send them in and have different barrels made for them. I had a shotgun barrel made for my daughters 243!

Several people on here own them and I think you will see that most like them very much! Nothing wrong with a kid learning on a single shot!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I got a handi rifle last year in a 223 cal. Sent it in had a 50 cal muzzle loader barrel and a 20 ga rifled slug barrel fitted to it. It was cheap, the gun shoots fine, and is the perfect gun to lug around in the boat or throw in the back of the landcruiser and head out for a day of hog huntin.

PS: welcome aboard

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the handi in 223 heavy barrel, shoots sub-moa, i love it, heavy barrel stays pretty cool.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Nothing wrong with a kid learning on a single shot!

I will second that, and will also add that there is nothing wrong with an adult hunting with one either! Mine is a great shooter. Fit and finish between wood and metal could be a little better, but your talking about a $200 gun! Have had no problems with it. Shoots straighter than I can by far! And...like Pabooger said, you can't beat the barrel change program. IMHO...best deal in a firearm anywhere.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I just spotted a long barreled 45/70 single with a real nice set of sites and very good balance. It was $200-$500 cheaper than the other highwall types and looked to be well fit and finished. Nice shrabnel forend and pretty good wood too. I'm thinking I'm going to get one and ream it out to 45/90 in case buffalo ever come back to the Carolinas. I bought one of their switch barrel jobs for the girls 410 or 22lr, nice little gun for 140 bucks with the case.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bigdaddy I didn't know you were a football fan. Buffalo (Bills ) might come to the Carolina Stadium someday. I shot a NEF .223 and they are great guns.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO you get your money's worth on a fine shooting Rifle in every caliber Ive shot one in.

Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"