In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger SP-101 ejection problem

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well, I just got off the phone with dad. This is the first time I've talked with him since he took the CCW class up in Minnesota. He wouldn't stop talking about how great it is and how much he learned.

Dad owns a stainless Ruger SP-101 (.357) and has been shooting quite a bit of .38 Special through it. Once in a great while he will run 5 - 10 rounds of .357 through it. During the familiarization and qualification portion of the class he noticed that, once in awhile, a case will stick and the ejector will not remove it. It didn't start happening until this weekend during the class. He's shooting the cheap white box Winchester .38 Special ammo and he first noticed it when the gun was still fairly clean.

I wasn't sure what the explanation could be since this has never happened in any of my revolvers. Could it be that the gun was designed for .357 and the case dimension differences between that and the .38 Special are the explanation? Does it sound like an extractor/ejector issue?

Comments

• RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got mine in my hand right now. No, not that, the GUN! [:D]
    I don't see how a round could not eject unless one of the ejectors is chipped. Mine are all tight and can't get a round to slip past the ejector when pushing out on the ejector rod.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Certainly makes a puzzel for me. My SP101 has 2,000+ rounds through of all types of .38 and .357 ammo, factory and reloads, and never experienced such a problem.

A few years back a shooting buddy liked to reload hot loads in his Security Six and would often have cases stick.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, that's exactly what's happening to my dad's gun. I told him to buy several different brands of ammunition. If it still occurs with the .38's then he should fire a few boxes of .357 through it. If the problem still exists then it's probably the gun. This occurred near the beginning of his shooting session and dad is pretty meticulous about keeping it clean.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I had a Ruger GP that had a slight burr in one of the cylinders and would hold onto a round pretty tight sometimes. I cleaned it out with the dremel and a polishing bit and never had the problem again.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Guarantee it's not the gun.
    The Brass will get tight when firing a lot of rounds.
    After all, it is a Five Rounder.
    I thought you meant that the ejector was being pushed out and a round didn't stay on the ejector wheel.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
    edited November -1
    RugerNiner--That's what I meant. A case sticks in the cylinder after the ejector rod is pushed. Almost like the notch on the wheel slips past the rim of the case. The case stays in the cylinder and all of the rest are ejected.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Not to jump the post, but I DROS my SP-101 tomorrow. And P.U. in one month.
    I REALLY can't wait! Already have a great I.T. Pants holster from the "Used" bin, but it's a perfect fit!

Now, what ammo do I want for target practice and which ammo for self-defense?
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Is he maybe loading the .357 after he shoots the .38 and having the powder residue jam the shell casing in the chamber? I know you said it was happening when it was still clean, but it wouldn't take much residue to gum things up.

I only bring this up because it happened to me once or twice with my S&W 686 and that's the only reason I can think of for this sort of thing to happen.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Mark the cylinder when it happens and see if it's the same one each time.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ids- Since he has fired so many 38's through it, a ring of residue has most likely built up in the cylinder at the end of the 38 case. If not scuubbed now and then, a 357 case, being longer will expand and seize on this ring. This can make extraction very difficult, sometimes impossible.Have him get a 45cal brush and use an agressive cleaner like Shooters Choice, or Bore Paste and scrub it clean.From then on have him use his regular cleaning materials, just being sure to pay special attention to the chambers.Hope this does it. The ring has done no harm, but should not be allowed to form.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
    edited November -1
    Hangfire--I was aware of what you are telling me when I gave him the gun for Christmas. He probably fires one box of .357 for every 10 boxes of .38. However, he's only fired .38's in it since it started so it isn't a matter of a .357 case getting hung up on the ring of residue left by so much firing with the .38 rounds. I already told him how important it is to keep the cylinder clean and to give it a steady diet of .357 right along with the .38 ammo.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a SP101 .357 Mag with a 2 1/4 inch barrel and never had an problems.My guess is its the brass cases swelling up when fired.

Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"