In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone get any of the very limited

NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Supply of 30RD Saiga 7.62x39 Mags when the AW Ban first set? I tried very hard but CDNN had a few but you had to buy the gun to get the Mags. Anyone know where you might find these or 20 RD Mags?

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nighthawk
    Supply of 30RD Saiga 7.62x39 Mags when the AW Ban first set? I tried very hard but CDNN had a few but you had to buy the gun to get the Mags. Anyone know where you might find these or 20 RD Mags?

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/promag-30-rd-saiga-223-or-762x39-mags.aspx?a=467765
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nighthawk....you don't have to get the plastic mags. You can use the standard military 30 round mags. You just have to shave a bit off the little "nub" that locks it into the gun. Hit it with a grinding wheel or dremmel tool.....just take a fuzz off the bottom of the locking notch that sticks off the back of the mag. I have found that they feed better if you also "flare the tips" at the top of the mag.....where the bullets come out and go into the chamber. They feed better into the Saiga if the tips of the mag are wider and there isn't a blount tip at the top of the mag.

It sounds like a lot....but you can fix an ak mag in less that a minute with a grinding wheel and flare the top with a belt sander. You could be everyone's best friend in only 10 minutes!
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    Nighthawk....you don't have to get the plastic mags. You can use the standard military 30 round mags. You just have to shave a bit off the little "nub" that locks it into the gun. Hit it with a grinding wheel or dremmel tool.....just take a fuzz off the bottom of the locking notch that sticks off the back of the mag. I have found that they feed better if you also "flare the tips" at the top of the mag.....where the bullets come out and go into the chamber. They feed better into the Saiga if the tips of the mag are wider and there isn't a blount tip at the top of the mag.

It sounds like a lot....but you can fix an ak mag in less that a minute with a grinding wheel and flare the top with a belt sander. You could be everyone's best friend in only 10 minutes!

The plastic mags work great.

I had to take some JB metal weld to the standard AK mags and build up the feed end.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ak mags are alot cheaper plus nobody makes drums for rifle cal saigas.

do you have to have pre bans in your state?

Center Fire Systems and a few other companies sell no ban mags, but they are insanely expensive.
  • Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm telling you....it works great if you flair the top where the shells feed into the gun.

You can fix the drums to feed into Saiga rifles.

You guys just have NO idea how many of these I did over the years. The other store was in a really bad area.....tons of Saigas over there. Especially when they were $299 brand new. I am guessing that I fixed thousands of mags to work properly in a Saiga. Its a LOT easier to fix a normal mettal mag than to put up with the plastic ones. They will eventually start causing trouble. I have always seen people go with the metal military mags over the plastic.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First let me say thank you for your help. In Va. we can have most any semi-auto AK rifle. I have a Vepr-K and a Romanian SAR-1, I would just like to get a full count Mag because the gun is made in Russia's original AK Factory.(Kalishnakof)SP.