In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stevie Ray Vaughn

azzeaterazzeater Member Posts: 187 ✭✭✭
edited November 2002 in General Discussion
How many people here like Stevie Ray?? My opinion is that he can play a guitar very well but don't have the soul it takes to play the blues and would've been better as a rock star. I just don't understand how most think is so great. Anybody like TU TU JONES? PEACE!

hey all!

Comments

• Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think he is held at a higher degree of greatness since he is no longer with us

chris
  • Options
    PointerPointer Member Posts: 939 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That boy had more soul in just his little finger than most Blues rock guitarest/singers i have ever heard,black or white.

Still livin life by the drop.
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HEY,STEVIE IS GREAT I SAW HIM IN ALPINE VALLEY THE DAY BEFORE HIS HELOCOPTER WENT DOWN
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i own every album he ever put out. his playing is godlike. wish he was still here. SRV is inspirational when i am feeling down.think i will put some on now.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been many great blues guitarists over the years.Jimi Hendrix,Duane Allman,and many other great artists have all made their mark.Most black artists such as Lightning Hopkins,Willie Dixon,Son House,Robert Johnson,and many others were the ones who did not recieve the credit due them when they were alive.Have you ever heard Mississippi John Hurt's acoustic playing? Stevie Ray used many of those influences and they shaped his style.I think it's really a shame that after getting clean and sober he was starting to forge his own sound,only to lose his life in a preventable helicopter crash.That is my opinion,and I enjoy listening to many different blues artists to hear their styles.They are all a part of the total "blues experiance" and all deserve a listen. Robert Lockwood Jr. is one of my favorites and is still alive playing some of the best 12 string acoustic blues you will ever hear. He is the step-son of Robert Johnson and learned some of his licks from him.Really amazing stuff.As for SRV,I really like his music,and I am glad I got the chance to see him in Dallas in 1989....

Little people talk about people,regular people talk about things,and big people talk about ideas.

Edited by - Bushy AR on 10/31/2002 22:03:09
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    quote:
    That boy had more soul in just his little finger than most Blues rock guitarest/singers i have ever heard,black or white.

Still livin life by the drop.

Pointer,you said it the way it is,man!

• Options
    hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    seen the master many times before his crash . still love him and still listen to him every day . his is the best now among the best .

wrench
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never was a huge SRV fan until after I watched video footage of some of his performances. He is amazing to watch. It was AFTER viewing these videos of past performances that I became a real fan.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    He is fantastic.. both Classic and I love him...

Hey azzeater.. where ya been?... havent heard from you in agessssss....

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    A better blues guitarist never existed.

He should, however, have never cut a voice track.

No offense.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email nunn@gunbroker.zzn.com
  • Options
    Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Key word is WAS the greastest i have everything put out by him..Buy his dvd's and watch a master at work..* he had more hurt in his heart then a lot of folks..BB KING quote "SRV is just a black man trapped in a white mans body"

I do not think anyone will ever come close but only time will tell..UNLESS you ever heard him play the Sky is crying..You have never heard music..

JMHO

NRA MEMBER
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    SRV was Hendrix reincarnated with a slant for the blues.

If your gonna be stupid you better be tough !!
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great as they are, I don't think his recordings matched the energy and electricity of his live shows. I saw him live several times, but a show at Chicagofest one summer before he was all that well known, the sets he did with his band and and Buddy Guy's band I will never forget. I actually liked the simpler stuff from his albums best; "Lenny" can bring tears to my eyes. AND he turned me on to Little Johnny Taylor.....

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • Options
    BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    SRV was one of the greats!!!!!

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • Options
    LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I also have everything ever recorded by SRV. Also his video taped shows on Austin City Limits. The guy was ten times the guitarist that Hendrix was. I can listen to "Riviera Paradise" for hours on end.

Hey Bushy: I saw Robert Jr. at a Washington State blues festival last summer. The dude is in his eighties and plays outrageous blues guitar. He was playing an electric Guild 12 string, and man could he make that axe talk.

Lots of good blues out there. I like the hell out of the delta-style acoustic blues. Folks like Son House, Robert Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Lightnin' Hopkins, John Jackson, etc. The music sounds simple until you try to play it on the guitar, then you get a new respect for those old blues players who never had a lesson in their lives and were making that music on a ten dollar Stella guitar.

You reckon' the devil still has that deal goin' where you can trade your soul to be a blues man? I might be interested.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • Options
    dads-freeholddads-freehold Member Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    greetings, vaughn was great but in my opinion jeff healy is a much better player. NOT BAD FOR A BLIND WHITE BOY... respt submitted dads-freehold

if your going to be a savage, be a headhunter
  • Options
    bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I first saw him on Austin City Limits in 1983. No idea who he was, but I was instantly hooked. Been a fan ever since. Also, being a half-* blues guitarist myself, I can appreciate his talent and ability. In his words, he was given a gift and playing for us was his way of giving some of it back. Best quote I ever heard about Stevie was from his brother,Jimmy(formerly w/ the Fabulous Thunderbirds). He said,"Stevie never played a song the same way once,let alone twice!" Clapton said "blues just seem to flow from Stevie" They were right.

He was also a very humble, down to earth kind of guy. He always gave credit to the Bluesmen that came before him. It's too bad he's gone. I, for one, miss him very much! Makes you wonder how far he'd have gone if he was still here.

1)"Give me Liberty or give me death!" 2)"Keep your friends close,your enemies closer." 3)"Just how big'n a boy are ya?"
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw Hendrix live and there was nobody like him, so a comparison would be pointless. He used a guitar in a way that nobody else ever quite uses it. Even Clapton, Townsend, & many other players admit that.

That doesn't mean Stevie wasn't great; he was just great in a different way. The fact that he did a couple Hendrix tribute tunes is cool, but Stevie was his own talent. I hear he never "dried up," he could just go on and on and never run out of lead riffs. I think he was great, as well.

Other great players in my book, in terms of pure expression/feel (which is even more important than technical prowess) include Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin, John Mayall, Ted Nugent, and what's his name from Led Zeppelin. (Mind has gone blank.)
  • Options
    Bushy ARBushy AR Member Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Lowrider...ever heard Rory Block? If I won a lottery,fat chance,I would give it all to her to marry me and just sing and play while I kept house...

Little people talk about people,regular people talk about things,and big people talk about ideas.
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lowrider:

I have an obscure one for you: Blues Explosion Atlantic 80149-1, from the 1982 Montreux Jazz Festival, has a 10 minute version of Flood Down In Texas. Per the jacket, David Bowie was in the audience and was impressed enough to hire him for "Let's Dance".

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • Options
    Harleeman1030Harleeman1030 Member Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jimmy Page is who your talking about offeror

NRA MEMBER
  • Options
    SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well albert king thought he had soul.I aint trying to be a * but if you think srv didnt have any soul you need your head examined.he is the greatest guitar slinger that ever was.When hendrix played little wing, he imagined it sounding the way srv played it but he wasnt good enough to play it that way himself.bb king said srv singlehandedly saved the blues and albert king said some have speed and dont have any soul but youve got both he said that to stevie during the recording session they did together. he sure did get alot of praise from some great bluesmen for not having any soul.

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail:WNUNLEY@USIT.NET
  • Options
    mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Love steve! Also John Lee Hooker, BBKing, John Hammond,
    Taj Mahal,and Muddy Waters. Got to hear Ray Charles
    last summer, and that old dude still cooks too! Didn't
    know anyothers who knew Robert Johnson. Most don't
    know of him.