In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Strangest food/thing eaten???????

matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
edited June 2003 in General Discussion
What is the strangest food you have eaten?

I've had alligator, rattlesnake, calf-fries, raccoon would probably have to be the strangest, kinda like roast beef, not bad, edible.

Comments

• Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sashimi. Also had calamari rings (sort of like eating fried rubber). Ate eel, racoon, and a lot of other wild things growing up. Never ate possum though or snake.

***KATN!***
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Escargo(sp),rattle snake, calamari, mountain oysters, pigs feet, tripe, headcheese, ox tails.

I'm one of those guys that keep the exotic jerky dealers at gunshows in business too.

It's so late there are probably a few things I've forgotten.

My maternal grandfather was a butcher and my mother was trained by the same chef that cooked for the white house during the Kennedy admin. I was taught to have a very open mind when it comes to food.

Woods

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
  • Options
    rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably Calamari,both squid AND octopus. Mountain oysters.
    Octopus make a real good chowder.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Putt'n down the highway, I have eaten a few bugs. Don't know what they were. [:0]

How do you tell a happy biker?
    By the bugs in his teeth. [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    "What is the strangest food you have eaten?"

The heel of an old jump boot.....errrrr....I mean my ex-wifes hamburger...errrr..thingies....not really sure what it was, OK.....but it was tough and tasteless.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C-Ration B3 unit. Ham n' Limas. Color and taste are found nowhere else in nature.
  • Options
    PRZNCOP110PRZNCOP110 Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [xx(]PRISON FOOD[xx(]

Who the hell knows what is in that crap.

"SOCIETY PREPARES THE CRIME, THE CRIMINAL COMMITS IT"
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Feral Feline over an open fire.
    Got to laugh when I hear folks say things like"Oh,that's digusting", or " I'd never eat Fluffy!" Sure you would if you were ever hungry.When your body uses up the fat reserves and starts processing tissue to sustain itself the civilized cells are the first to go.If you've never been to 'starvation outpost', you can't understand.It's like the cartoons where your buddy starts to look like a standing rib roast.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    makdaddy03makdaddy03 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alligator, Rattle Snake, Emu, And what is wrong with "Pigs Feet"? LOL![:)]

Makdaddy03
  • Options
    Instant KarmaInstant Karma Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got to be the abalone(sea snail)I tried once,green meat but good done tempura style.Tried mako shark too,and it was like sword-fish,only gamier.Bear was not too bad,greasy though.
  • Options
    DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fried Muskrat, Barb-b-q Beaver, Woodchucks, Got drunked-up one night fishing and ate some minnows and night crawlers and took a bite out of a live catfish on a dare.[xx(]

member; DUCKS UNLIMITED,AGA, ............R.S.A. KULP..................OHIO
  • Options
    powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Got to agree with BigDaddyJunior,

If it moves, someone, somewhere eats it. Bugs, grubs, cats, dogs, horses, monkies, sea slugs, etc.[xx(] If your hungry enough you WILL!! eat anything.[V][:0]

My strangest things were 'dillo and rattlesnake.

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Cougar would be the strangest I ever ate.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My uncle Bill told me to try some cow brain at dinner one night. Nobody said no to uncle Bill. That was 44 years ago and I still remember!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Think I've had most everything others have mentioned - escargot and calamari are on the menu whenever I can find them on sale at the grocery store. My parents loved tripe, but I could never stomach it (sorry about the pun). Raised my kids the same way. I bet I was the only parent within 100 miles whose kids would whoop & holler with joy at age six when I told them we were having calamri, tongue, chicken hearts or steamed clams for dinner!

Sea urchin roe sashimi is incredibly delicious.

Tried 'gator & shark fin soup, wasn't impressed with either, but the one thing I actually spit out was jellyfish. I don't remember if it was sour or bitter, but it was awful.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When in Viet Nam, and attached to a group of Mountain Tribesmen, roasted Crickets, and Boiled Monkey,,

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
    BIG DOG
    wheelie.gif
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to a game supper about 40yrs ago put on by a large Fish and Game Club a friend of mine belonged to. Had Whale Meat, it tasted like pot roast with a slightly fishy flavor,not bad.Matwor,good topic.
    [8D][8D][8D][8D]

ATF
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Balut, take a almost hatched chicken egg and bury it in the ground for a few weeks, dig it up and bon appetit![:D]

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recall as a small boy going to one of my Chinese friends' house for dinner.Chick soup. Not chicken soup.Unborn baby chicks floating around in a steaming pot of broth.Didn't like the way they kept looking at me while I was eating them.

• Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Our Chinese friends in Tawian treated us to steamed puppy. Wasn't bad, either.[}:)]

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • Options
    edited November -1
    We 'lost' alot of family pets in Taiwan.

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Something they called "blister tail eel" in Argentina. Fish that tasted like fishy chicken. It wasn't that good.

Measure twice, cut once.
    calipers_open_close_md_wht.gif
    Empty the clip!
    smoking_gun_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beef brains, Sweet breads, Sea urchin wraped with eel toped with a raw Quail egg,(that tasted like a tide pool) Salmon liver pate, and what the call a 1,000 year old egg (its not realy that old) Its buried in the ground and cooked, sinks like Sh-- and tasts the same.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
    Virtutis-Gloria-Merces
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You ever have a guest from overseas and take them to an American Grocery Store.They've never seen so much food in one place.There eyes bug out. It's sad and funny at the same time.It's the first place they want to go whenever they visit.

• Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Bobcat tamales.
    Armadillo(cooked on grill whole)
    Looks and tastes like a little pig.[:p][:p][:p]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Not counting food from MacDonalds restaurants.....
    I'd say the weirdest would be...
    Fried cochroaches
    Squid
    Dog
    Cat
    Cobra
    Rat
    Some sort of Lizzard, about a foot in length.
    PolarBear (Would rather see them alive than on a plate)

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Here in the U.S. it would be Hogs Brains, rattle snake, deer heart, buffalo tongue, ground hog (excellent on a grill), snapping turtle, mule, craw dads, Alligator, and dog cooked on an open fire pit.

In China it would be dog, a type rat, several species of snake, turtle soupe (head floating in soup), duck bill from Peking Duck, fish eyes, carp dipped in horse radish sause that would set a wet log on fire, stripped pork (or so I was told), goat on a stick from a street vender, and drank Raw Egg Beer.

In Mexico it was cat meat in what could be best decribed as a cross between a taco, burrito, with corn tortilla bread or flat bread.

The worst was anything my mother cooked except pork brains and scrammbled eggs. That is the only thing she could cook that tasted good. Now my7 granmother was a diferent story!
  • Options
    armed_ femalearmed_ female Member Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Barbqued black bear..was yummy...

fc3b174f.jpg

LT. RRG
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    I forgot about the escargot on my honeymoon, that was 10 yrs. ago this Thurs., forgot about the calamari, eaten at Olive Garden every time we go, (at least once every 6 wks. or so), forgot about the mountain oysters too.

Thought all this stuff was halfway "normal".[;)][;)][:D][:D] Not to mention the sardines in mustard for lunch once in awhile, and the smoked oysters too.
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The strangest, hands down, is chickenfoot, a course in a Chinese Dim Sum meal I once had. I was with a group of friends, and I was sure I had misunderstood the lady with the heavy accent when she offered the next course, but sure enough she showed up with a plate of whole fried chicken feet. Nobody even tried them but me ..... My guess is that Dim Sum in most Chinese restaurants does not include the chickenfoot.

I've also had calimari when it was whole and looked just like squid, which was not a lot of fun either, but chickenfoot takes the honors because it really has no meat on it at all, just skin and bone. Oh, and I once had half a lobster at a restaurant called Jack's at the Beach, and ate the brains by mistake -- they tasted very bad.

In Baton Rouge, I enjoyed popcorn fried mudbugs and a nice alligator steak (a little dry), but I consider that interesting eating, not strange. I also love sushi, which is not strange to me either.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive had the "normal assortment" of calamari and such. The strangest thing I have had is Cow Tongue. It was sliced up like roast beef. They served it while I was in Italy at a friends wedding.
    wasnt too bad though[:p]

pabooger POOFhehe
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find it interesting that Calamari is considered by so many to be "strange food". When I was a kid we ate it all the time(not literally, at least once a week), and we have it today at least a couple of times a month. Its great stuff, and I am suprised that so many consider it weird.

Besides Calamari, the weirdest food I have eaten would be robbins. We used to shoot them, fill a backpack up with them, skin them and cook them on a little barbecue we kept in the woods. I w2ouldnt say it tasted all that good, but it was a lot of fun.

"It is important, that the habits of thinking in a free country should inspire caution in those entrusted with its administration, to confine themselves within their constitutional spheres, avoiding in the exercise of the powers of one department to encroach upon another. The spirit of encroachment tends to consolidate the powers of all the departments into one, and thus to create, whatever the form of government, a real despotism.."
    -George Washington
  • Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I once ate bone marrow in Austria. Terrible stuff.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not really weird, but no one has mentioned it, I don't think: Crawdads. Don't forget to squeeze the head! Caught 'em and boiled 'em in an old coffee can when we were kids; the creek and the lake were full of them. I still get them occasionally when I go to Dick's Last Resort; served in a stainless bucket. You can really gross out the folks at the next table when you squeeze the head!

Brain sandwiches for breakfast at Bruce's in Bloomington, back when I was in college. A redneck delicacy.

Squid, octopus, snails (escargot); not anything really that weird I guess.

redcedars
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Besides the usual alligator, rattlesnake, opossum, *, etc. How about sea cucumber, jellyfish, elephant, hippo, whale?

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fried things I forgot about, my mom used to fry the tails of the fish we caught and we would eat those. I mentioned calamari and sashimi because being in Arkansas, lots of folks turn up their noses and go eeewww, but would eat a crawdad in a heartbeat, go figure[xx(]. Ask my kids what they want to go out to eat and it's sashimi and sushi bound for a night out. We can use a set of chopsticks better than a fork and knife. Funny thing though, my lefty uses her right hand for chopsticks and her left for her fork.

***KATN!***
  • Options
    elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rice bugs and grubs

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • Options
    aby80aby80 Member Posts: 245 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Calamari rings (like chewing rubber bands) honeycomb tripe in menudo ( very good and I'll eat it anytime) Javelina jerky (just as good as venison jerky). Roasted grasshoppers. When in Korea I refused to eat dried squid and kimchi.

If you don't care where you are going, you can't get lost.
  • Options
    SkydiveSkydive Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do so many people hate calamari, I love the stuff.

My wife's mother is Filipino. I don't know what the heck it was but it was called Blood Pudding. The Balut didn't seem so bad. Who knows what else, but when I was living with my in-laws I did notice there were no stray cats... weird.

All generalizations are bad.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Skydive I was wondering the same, Here on the monteray bay that is a cash crop! next to anchovies and I love the stuff, easy to clean and cook (most places in the midwest wayyyyy over cook it.) Calamari steaks are the best! little lemon & garlic [:p][:p][:p][:p].

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

God Bless our Troops
    Virtutis-Gloria-Merces