In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

new dad needs help!!!!

fisherbearfisherbear Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
I am a 1st time father to a 6 week old princess... problem is that she has her days and nights all screwed up and the sleep deprivation is getting to us... that's why I'm on here at almost 3 A.M. writing here... 2 days ago she finally fell asleep at 7 am yesterday at 8 am... she goes a good 4-6 sometimes if very lucky 8 hours straight but, during the day... we kept her awake all except 3-4 4 hours all day to try and straighten her out but it just pissed her off as she wanted so bad to sleep all day...
anyways... we tried to let her go to sleep at 8pm... and so far nothing more than maybe 1-1.5hours of sleep... she cluster feeds like crazy at night (cries, drinks bottle put her down, wait 10 minutes, cries, change diaper and repeat over and over)
any advice for a new dad who is very sleep deprived?.... we've been taking shifts in a seperate room so one of us can get some sleep...

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    When the baby takes a few sips on the formula, and drifts off, give the bottom of the feet a 'finger tweak' (similar motion as if you were flicking a booger from the end of your middle finger). After the 'tweak', the baby will resume feeding. The baby will pick up where it left off (suckling) when it is re awakened.

Repeat the finger tweak until the bottle is finished. Baby will sleep several hours afterwards. Best, Joe
  • Options
    edited November -1
    baby knocks out 4 full bottle in 4 hours at night 11p-3AM so far... along with 4-6 loaded diapers...
  • Options
    oldgunmanoldgunman Member Posts: 1,779 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your really giving me some flashbacks. Each kid is so different. Some just take extra time and lots of effort to get them on some sort of schedule. They didn't make remotes then so thank God for the on/off cord we bought for the tv in the bedroom. Kept the child right between us in bed so we didn't have to keep getting up. Good luck.
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    congrats to you, my brother told me his boy did the same thing and then it got normal after a few more weeks.

i'll be testing this out in may. yikes!

everybody i talk to says you don't get much sleep the first few months.

thanks for the tweak trick Marine!
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    The bottle may be the problem. We never had one in the house.
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    6 weeks is early to be sleeping through the night. Give her time and she will come around. This is an unfortunate part of parenting that will work itself out in the end.
  • Options
    MaxOHMSMaxOHMS Member Posts: 14,715
    edited November -1
    You can move your child into a new schedule.

At 6 weeks, she should eat about every two and one half hours (from start to start).

Wake her up during the day to feed her. At this age, she will probably fall back asleep fairly quickly after eating, but as she gets older she'll have more awake time during the day. Work towards a routine of wake, eat, play, sleep NOT wake play eat sleep. It's hard on babies to sleep on a full stomach and causes more gas etc.
    At night, let her sleep if she will. If she's been fed, diapered, etc. and you know she's not in need it's okay to let her fuss for 15 or so minutes to go to sleep. Monitor her and let her fuss as long as your comfortable...it feels like forever sometimes.
    Remember it's a process to change her to be on your schedule. God be with you!

The process will take several days, but will be well worth the effort.

My sweet wife pushed me out of the way and wrote that. [;)]

We taught parenting classes for a couple of years, and used the knowledge gained to raise 5 very well adjusted children.

There are many out there that will try to tell you to give them what they want when they want it, or they will be scarred for life.

You have heard those children 3 isles over in Wal-mart.

Please feel free to email us with more questions.

Just don't call me grandpa.

I will find you.[:D]
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is too late to take my advice, but could be good for the future. Have Momma nurse. Let the baby stay in bed with her. Everytime baby starts to fuss put a boob in it's mouth. Mom goes back to sleep, baby goes back to sleep when full. The number of times I walked into our bedroom in the morning with both asleep, son with a boob in his mouth was nearly every day. I slept in the other bedroom for almost 2 years. Never got woke up once in the middle of the night. Wife wasn't tired because she wasn't always getting up. When son was in first grade he looked at me when flu season was in full swing and said I wish I would get the flu, I said why? He said I've never been sick. My wife and I thought about it. Except for some runny noses, he was right, he had never been sick. Nursing for 2 years did wonders for his health. He's 10, still doesn't get sick.
  • Options
    tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    maybe the formula is giving the child a belly ache..all our babys slept more than they were awake....have your wife breast feed her,or try different formula with less iron
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    edited November -1
    dreher, +1.

Nature's perfect food trumps anything the dairy industry can come up with.

That is, unless you believe that we can create a pretty good substitute for a human baby by lopping the ears and tail off a calf.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    dreher, +1.

Nature's perfect food trumps anything the dairy industry can come up with.

That is, unless you believe that we can create a pretty good substitute for a human baby by lopping the ears and tail off a calf.

I did not mention what we fed our children.

I fully agree.

I trust the manufacturer explicitly.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    When the baby takes a few sips on the formula, and drifts off, give the bottom of the feet a 'finger tweak' (similar motion as if you were flicking a booger from the end of your middle finger). After the 'tweak', the baby will resume feeding. The baby will pick up where it left off (suckling) when it is re awakened.

Repeat the finger tweak until the bottle is finished. Baby will sleep several hours afterwards. Best, Joe

Joe's absolutely right about the "tweak" - it works. Also, don't let your baby sleep too much during the day and don't pick her up every time she cries. Babies are very smart and learn very quickly that they'll get picked up and cuddled or walked around if they cry. As long as she's fed, dry, and healthy, crying is good exercise for her lungs. Sometimes, closing her door and turning up the TV is the best method and don't feel guilty about it. Like I said, babies are smarter than you think!

Most importantly, live your life normally with the usual sounds and noises. Babies quickly adapt to their environment and sleep that much deeper to compensate. People who tiptoe around and whisper because they don't want to "wake the baby" are going to have a baby who jumps and wakes up at every unusual sound.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Spider7115
    quote:Originally posted by givette

Joe's absolutely right about the "tweak" - it works. Also, don't let your baby sleep too much during the day and don't pick her up every time she cries. Babies are very smart and learn very quickly that they'll get picked up and cuddled or walked around if they cry. As long as she's fed, dry, and healthy, crying is good exercise for her lungs. Sometimes, closing her door and turning up the TV is the best method and don't feel guilty about it. Like I said, babies are smarter than you think!

Most importantly, live your life normally with the usual sounds and noises. Babies quickly adapt to their environment and sleep that much deeper to compensate. People who tiptoe around and whisper because they don't want to "wake the baby" are going to have a baby who jumps and wakes up at every unusual sound.

I agree with Spider. We had to bottle feed. My wife couldn't nurse. Ours both slept VERY well while very young. We were VERY lucky!! Check the manual that the hospital sent home with the Baby......Oh yeah, there is NO manual!!!!! Every Baby is different for sure and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. It's o.k. for a baby to cry a bit as long as she's dry, clean, fed, and warm.
    Good luck!! Don't worry, this is nothing! Wait till her teenage years!! Oh yeah, start saving for college! You already wasted 6 weeks!! It will seem like tomorrow when she's in high school!!
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,982 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get A really good recliner and put it in the babies room. If you gotta be there might as well be somewhat comfortable
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    congrats--now a word of advice from a father of 4 month old twin girls. Get on Amazon.com or whereever you buy books and videos--buy Dr. Harvey Karp's dvd The Happiest Baby on the Block ASAP! it will save your sanity and teach you how to shut off the crying like a light switch. In the first 3 months you will get little sleep--so get used to it and work in shifts if you have to. Newborns eat every 2 to 3 hours. We finally have our girls sleeping 5 1/2 hours a nite but we do play with them and try to keep them up as much as possible from 6pm to 11pm. Your baby was probably up in the womb at nite and slept during the day a lot.
    A nice warm bath helps--breastmilk is best but didn't work for our situation so we had to use a soy formula-similac--and it has worked just fine. Forget about the 8pm going to bed and think she will sleep til 4am at least til the 4th month. Dr. Karp explains that babies really are born immature even at 9 months.

If you don't have one get a swing-especially one that plays soothing music---also Dr. Karp has a cd with sounds that calm a baby like rain on a tin roof and sounds in the womb-believe it or not it is as loud as a vacuum cleaner inside the womb to a baby.
    You can turn on a hair dryer or a vacuum cleaner to calm them as well.
    Swaddling is IMMENSELY helpfull--again if you don't know how to do it properly Dr. Karp can help. It will get easier--don't forget to burp her very very well as gas will cause them to cry like a banshee.

Ask your Dr. first, but you may be able to introduce SINGLE grain rice cereal for babies(gerber makes it) mixed with her milk--it acts as a filler to help them stay full-just like when you eat oatmeal.

I'm certainly no expert--these twins were our first children but the advice I've just given you has worked very very well for us--5 1/2 hours of sleep vs 2 hours is a wonderful thing[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dreher
    It is too late to take my advice, but could be good for the future. Have Momma nurse. Let the baby stay in bed with her. Everytime baby starts to fuss put a boob in it's mouth. Mom goes back to sleep, baby goes back to sleep when full. The number of times I walked into our bedroom in the morning with both asleep, son with a boob in his mouth was nearly every day. I slept in the other bedroom for almost 2 years. Never got woke up once in the middle of the night. Wife wasn't tired because she wasn't always getting up. When son was in first grade he looked at me when flu season was in full swing and said I wish I would get the flu, I said why? He said I've never been sick. My wife and I thought about it. Except for some runny noses, he was right, he had never been sick. Nursing for 2 years did wonders for his health. He's 10, still doesn't get sick.

my wife does nurse the baby... but doesn't make enough milk to supply baby 100%... it's 50/50... so she is getting benefit from mom's milk... baby still gets fussy after mom's milk... half the time gets a bottle to fill her up 100% after mom feeds her... and she usually goes to sleep after bottle.. but only for a few minutes...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fisherbear

my wife does nurse the baby... but doesn't make enough milk to supply baby 100%... it's 50/50... so she is getting benefit from mom's milk... baby still gets fussy after mom's milk... half the time gets a bottle to fill her up 100% after mom feeds her... and she usually goes to sleep after bottle.. but only for a few minutes...

FB

My wife's mom spent many years as a post-partum nurse, with the last several years in a large hospital focusing on lactation help.

My wife would be happy to share some ideas she learned and used.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice: Just do your best to keep the child on a day schedule. If are doing to bulk of the feeding at night, she will want to feed at night, so quit. Infants that age eat often so some night feeding is necessary, but not as much as you are doing. When an infant eats their bowels move, more night time feeding equals more bowel movements, break that cycle, as soon as you can.

The best way to get a child to bed early is to make them up early. With an infant as young as yours this isn't that easy but will be as she ages. If you want her on a day time schedule, set a day time schedule. As she ages she will get on schedule if you do your part. I'm not saying to rob her of sleep, or starve her, just keep working to transition her to a day schedule.

Remember this as she ages, up early=to bed early and a lot less hassle at bed time.

You are bottle feeding, how hard is she working when she suckles? Every child is different. If she is working to hard to feed, she will wear out, doze, then wake up hungry in short order. Perhaps not a problem with her but something else to think about. If it is an issue a nipple or bottle change could be your answer.

More advice: take shifts so you and your wife get periods of uninterrupted sleep. Busy babies are a lot less stressful when the parents are rested. Get used to the idea you are going to get less sleep for a few more weeks or months, make a plan to deal with it. Your wife is probably missing more sleep than you, it will wear her out, so keep doing your part.

Be realistic, firm, and consistent in your expectations, routines, and discipline as the years go by and both your fatherhood and her childhood will be a positive and enjoyable experience.
  • Options
    elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 5,130
    edited November -1
    Looks like you have plenty of practical advice but I'm surprised no one mentioned the "old wives tale" type remedy...

Lay the baby on the bed and roll them over 3 times. Problem solved.[:D]

Good luck.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    I am a 1st time father to a 6 week old princess... problem is that she has her days and nights all screwed up and the sleep deprivation is getting to us... that's why I'm on here at almost 3 A.M. writing here... 2 days ago she finally fell asleep at 7 am yesterday at 8 am... she goes a good 4-6 sometimes if very lucky 8 hours straight but, during the day... we kept her awake all except 3-4 4 hours all day to try and straighten her out but it just pissed her off as she wanted so bad to sleep all day...
    anyways... we tried to let her go to sleep at 8pm... and so far nothing more than maybe 1-1.5hours of sleep... she cluster feeds like crazy at night (cries, drinks bottle put her down, wait 10 minutes, cries, change diaper and repeat over and over)
    any advice for a new dad who is very sleep deprived?.... we've been taking shifts in a seperate room so one of us can get some sleep...
    Oh man, I've been there. Sounds like you have it easy though.

My first: nothing would console her from 9pm to 5am for three months. My wife and I were on no sleep for three months. I was working full time, and my wife was alone with her in the day. She would get a little sleep after 5am, but we were both up all night every night for three months trying to console her.

My second: only the constant motion of bouncing her while standing would console her between 9pm and 5am. Not sitting. Somehow she knew if you sat down or tried to recline in any way. When she woke up it was hours again before you could get her to calm down. This went on for five months.

My third: she was pretty easy going, very consolable. Then she developed laryingal spasms (basically she'd spasm and stop breathing). That kept my wife awake staring at her for three months.

We stopped having kids after that.

There may be nothing that will console your kid. But you will get through it. It won't be fun.

DO NOT SHAKE THE BABY no matter how tempted you are. When you're that sleep deprived you get pretty tempted no matter how much you love your kid.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    This entire string is 100pct. male (thus far).

Interesting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My wife came over to see what I was posting when I made the original post. She agreed and walked off, so not totally all male. Anyone know what the male/female ratio is on GB? I would think at least 95% male. That would be one female reply per 20 replies. Or am I missing something. Not like me missing something would be that rare.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lactating is the same in any mammel. You want more milk, you increase protein and increase water consumption. Ask any dairy farmer how to make a cow give more milk. Please don't say I'm comparing women to cows. I'm saying all mammels nurse their young and the way to get more milk is increase proper nutrition to the mother. Ask a nursing consultant at the local hospital. She will tell you the same thing.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It's not going to hurt the baby to let her cry...as a matter of fact, it will help her...and you...and your parenting. If the child is not hungry or in pain, let them cry themselves to sleep. I believe it's important for them to learn that they are not going to get whatever it is that they want by crying/whining...and it's important that they learn this from a very early age.

I'd also recommend making sure there's plenty of noise, whether it be the radio or television playing while the child sleeps. They will learn to sleep soundly.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1

+1
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well my youngest is 14 so I can't vouch for what they have on the market now, but NUK bottle nipples were a blessing for us. They are configured to more easily fit the contour of the mouth for the sucking motion, basically flattening against the palate for more muscle movement on the nipple to increase flow.

Second thing to check is if the she appears gassy she will fill as if she is full and stop drinking before she has enough. Burp her after about every two ounces. This will keep air out and more formula in while keeping her awake long enough to fill up.

How much does she weigh? My youngest, the 14 year old, was consuming almost 8 ounces per feeding from the beginning. He weighed over 9 lbs. at birth.

Do you have pacifiers (NUK again). When she gets restless at night and stirs as if she is going to wake up. Slip the NUK pacifier into her mouth which should ease her back to sleep. She will learn to reach for it while sleeping if it slips out.

And yes, a little soothing music playing in the background at night (constantly) should lessen sudden sounds that might awaken her.

With #1 we would take a long drive in the evening to get her to sleep when rocking her didn't do the trick.

Full bottle, warm bath, snuggled into night clothes, rock her to sleep with the pacifier in her mouth and then tuck her in might set a schedule/routine.

Hope some of this helps. We had four and have survived thus far....[:D]
  • Options
    SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    All great advice but you got aleast 6-8 more weeks of it[:D]Iam going through the same thing right now, mainly with gas making her cranky at times but is doing great, sleeps 4-5 hrs at night sometimes 6.Eats at 10pm and ready again at 2-3am good till 7or8am,repeat[8D] All babies are different.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention, #2 was lactose intolerant and we had to switch her to soy formula. That did the trick for her. Check with the pediatrician for that call, because diaper changing becomes a REAL issue if feeding soy formula....[xx(]

Symptoms of the lactose intolerance for us were she was very cranky, gassy all the time, and would have forceful spit-ups during burping.

When you burp her, where are you patting her back and what position are you holding her in?

The hubby would place all four of our little'uns on his knee in a sitting position and use two fingers to pat them on their lower back. He held their heads up with his hand under their chins, he has big hands. You can also lay her across your lap and pat her back, or over your shoulder whichever is more comfortable and seems to get the most burps out.

Remember to pat her in the lower back, not her upper back. You want to get the gas out of her stomach and intestines, not the air out of her lungs..[:I]
  • Options
    slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    It's not going to hurt the baby to let her cry...as a matter of fact, it will help her...and you...and your parenting. If the child is not hungry or in pain, let them cry themselves to sleep. I believe it's important for them to learn that they are not going to get whatever it is that they want by crying/whining...and it's important that they learn this from a very early age.

I'd also recommend making sure there's plenty of noise, whether it be the radio or television playing while the child sleeps. They will learn to sleep soundly.

Sorry Eric, I could not disagree more with this advice. When a child that age cries, it is because they need something, not because they are manipulating them. They should not be allowed to cry themselves asleep at 6 weeks.

I also disagree with the something playing while they sleep. You should not do anything special to make them sleep. Whatever is, is.

Both our kids slept through the night at 7-8 weeks and both now take less than 3 minutes from when bedtime is announced to when they are both in bed and we NEVER have any problems with them after they area asleep. They are 2 and 5.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From father of 4, grandfather of 7, great-grandfather of 1-

Different things for different babies. Best burping for me was kid sitting on my right leg, facing center, with chest leaned against my open left hand, could get bubbles out easily by patting/ rubbing back with right hand (bubbles clog the fuel storage system)

This will pass- but I DO have bad news. Think you have trouble sleeping now? Wait 14-16 years, and let me know how that is working for ya. [:p]

Thank God there IS life after teenagers.......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd stop having kids too after all that... we took Abby to pediatrician today... there is nothing medically wrong with her... no acid reflux or anything like that... dr. gave advice to break up her long sleep stretch during the day.. God Willing, she'll be sleeping at night in a couple weeks or so... that's why I'm up at 1 am with her...

quote:Originally posted by MR_Perfect
    Oh man, I've been there. Sounds like you have it easy though.

My first: nothing would console her from 9pm to 5am for three months. My wife and I were on no sleep for three months. I was working full time, and my wife was alone with her in the day. She would get a little sleep after 5am, but we were both up all night every night for three months trying to console her.

My second: only the constant motion of bouncing her while standing would console her between 9pm and 5am. Not sitting. Somehow she knew if you sat down or tried to recline in any way. When she woke up it was hours again before you could get her to calm down. This went on for five months.

My third: she was pretty easy going, very consolable. Then she developed laryingal spasms (basically she'd spasm and stop breathing). That kept my wife awake staring at her for three months.

We stopped having kids after that.

There may be nothing that will console your kid. But you will get through it. It won't be fun.

DO NOT SHAKE THE BABY no matter how tempted you are. When you're that sleep deprived you get pretty tempted no matter how much you love your kid.
  • Options
    JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Don't worry about bottle/Breast.

2. The kid will do what the kid will do. Do what the kid wants. At 6 weeks, all they want is food, clean diapers, sleep, and to be held. Come to think of it, at middle age, that's all I want as well....

3. Get a DVR, and record things to watch at night.

4. My son HATED the crib. Only slept in the swing. Go figure....