In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"get gone" bag...what do you have?

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
Was reading one of the previous posts and it got me thinking. What do you put in an emergency kit for the house in case of disaster and you need to survive in house for a few days without power, water, etc.

Also...what do you put in an emergency bag for those times when you need to high tail it out of town for whatever reason.

"The only way American citizens can adequately be protected from terror and violence is when" those in authority protect us from those who would harm us, instead of protecting us from ourselves.

Comments

• Options
    concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I used to have a bug-out-bag all ready but now that my family is growing it serves little purpose. I used to have the following items plus some other stuff in a bag that was ready-to-go.

Extra set of warm clothes, including wool socks
    Fire starting material
    mirror
    first aid kit and sunscreen
    water and energy food
    compass
    ammo for .22
    crank radio
    batteries
    rope
    plastic bags
    toiletries including t.p.
    emergency blanket
    flares
    sewing kit
    maps
    travel utensils and metal pan
    water purification tabs
    multi-purpose tool
    fishing kit
    hatchet
    etc...

The best things that I now keep in my house for stay-home emergencies are my generator with extra fuel, lots of bottled water and my crank radio. The generator fuels the kegerator and the radio keeps my occupied! [:D]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I said in the previous post, I don't ever plan on "getting gone". I know where most of my stuff is here at the house, and won't leave unless it is on fire. I do carry a small bag in my truck with a space blanket, a bottle of water, and basic tools and other needs to work on my ol' truck.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carry fanny pack in my truck that contains;
    space blanket
    canteen and water purification tablets
    A cheap throw away plastic ponch, which I could uses as a solar still if I had to.
    Some strike anywhere matches that have been waterproofed.
    signal mirror
    compass
    An old Schrade folder and wetstone.
    sewing needles and a spool of thread.
    A change of socks.( if you had my foot problems you'd understand)
    small first aid kit.

I also keep an old ultra light fishing pole and small tackle box for when the opportunity presents itself.

In the closet near the front door of the house I keep my old army duffle with all of the above +.
    Winchester 9422 and 2 bricks of ammo.
    Green river style sheath knife.
    A mess kit.
    Couple cans of sterno.
    freeze dried meals for three days
    candle lantern & a box of utility candles.
    tarp to use as a shelter.
    2 Changes of clothes, 1 winter, 1 summer.
    folding shovel & old boy scout hatchet.
    larger first aid kit.

There was a time when I was known to disapear occasionally. I would get fed up with the world and just grab the duffel and head out driving, until I found a place to camp out.

Lately that doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe I should check the expiration dates on those freeze dried meals.

Woods

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
  • Options
    jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get gone pack

gortex cammo jacket
    gortex ski pants
    hat w/vissor.gloves
    extra socks, underwear
    polypropylene long under wear
    light wieght water proof nylon shell top/bottom
    10 various colered leds w/20 2032 batteries(in a pill bottle/wraped with three bands of elect tape).
    1 11" piece of 1/2" pvc w/8 various hacksaw blades
    8 aa bateries,4 nmh aa w/solar charger
    1 2oz all band radio
    msr water filter,1.5l dromidary bag,2-2 liter colapsabilebottles,
    extra cartridge,extra hose
    3 high quality e blankets
    2 cheap e blankets
    0 degree mummy bag,bivwak
    2 ripstop light 8x10 tarp
    8 lighters two differt kinds
    single aa led flashlight
    18 ga copper wire
    30 lbs test line
    125 lbs test cord
    12 protien bars
    6 lbs pasta(I think it takes less space than white rice ,but not as easy to swallow)
    orientering compass
    kbar
    stainless hatchaxe
    50 rnds 357,200rnds 223
    various ziplocks
    vitamins,aspirine,sudefed,chapstick,nail clipers,dikes,small vice grip,sewing kit

probably other stuff I can't remember just now and if i don't post sone Iwill be way down the list
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bag I talked about is a very bottom line bag
    as woodsrunner said a second more carefully packed bag stays at the foot of our bed. One item I will not leave home without is a good 22cal. rifle and a brick or two of ammo. The water is not a problem we carry a top of the line filter system in our bag. Ate all the "C" rations I wanted early in life so we have stews, beans, canned meats and coffee the important thing is to rotate stock every 6 months. WE do not plan to leave but should we have to for what ever reason we will be ready. Not in to survial fear BUT WE DO PLAN TO BE READY FOR WHAT EVER COMES OUR WAY. can't carry everythhing but some basic items can keep you in comfort for a week or two.

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That pack lives in my truck I also have extra food and tools in the tool box.

the main reason for my pack is to get home from where ever I have to leave my truck.
  • Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I feel underprepared now thanks guys
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    A bowie knife.A flattened role of aluminum foil.A box of the old strike anywhere matches.100 rounds of 45 auto[my gun is always with me].100 rounds of 40cal and a fold up 40cal carbine.Blankets,spare clothes and bottled water are behind the rear seat of my truck.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also live in a suname zone so it's good to have a weeks supply of life ready to go
  • Options
    .41Dude.41Dude Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget a good pair of hiking, or hunting boots. My car left me
    on foot one night after work. I had on a thin pair of dress shoes. Rain and six miles later made me find a place in my car for better footwear.
    Also carry a good pair of binoculars for when we are on vacation sightseeing. It might come in handy to see any problems before they see you.
    A hat I like is the expedition hat from P.O.P. you can find it thru yahoo if you type in P.O.P. Don't forget the periods.
    I do not think we are crackpots for talking about things like this. I wear a seatbelt everytime I drive, have never needed it, but want it on if I do[:D]

Try pophats.com
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My large Bug-out pack (Kifaru) contains: (similar to jets)

Keep in mind this was expensive and took a while to assemble

extra pair of jungle boots
    socks and underwear
    gore-tex rainwear
    spare BDU
    m-65 w/liner
    gloves
    polypropelene thermals
    camo facepaint
    fish kit
    Ka-bar knife
    MRE's and some water
    water filter
    80 rds .308 match
    270 rds .223
    4 .45 ACP mags and a couple boxes ammo
    pliers
    wire
    surefire flashlight
    batteries/spare bulbs
    cleaning kit
    bar of soap
    state map
    tritium compass
    military cold weather sleeping bag (strapped on outside)
    batteries for Aimpoint dot sight
    small medkit
    small Radioshack radio w/batteries
    pocket Bible
    folding multi-tool

I think thats about it, i may have forgot one or two things. Im a big guy and this pack is heavy, so if want a lighter bag youll have to watch what you include. Water and ammo are definatley the heaviest items.
    .41Dude is correct, spare books are essential. Also,(something i still need) get a pair of waterproof ankle/leg gaiters, to help keep the bottoms of your pants dry and socks dryer.
    My pack is made by Kifaru, and i think their the best brand out there. They are expensive, but well worth it in the long run IMHO. http://kifaru.net/MGhome.htm
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forgot to mention I leave a space open to stuff a folding AR-7 rifle and some .22 ammo in. I think .22's are essential for quiet (quieter anyway) hunting, lightweight ammuntion, and you shouldnt have to hard of a time finding shells if you run out.
    Also left out a wool watch-cap, magnesium fire starter and matches, and a toothbrush.