In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is the most expensive item sold on GB

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in General Discussion
What is the highest item, dollar wise that has ever sold on GB? I have no idea and was just wondering.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    if this were a guessing game.., i would say between $15,000.00 - $20,000.00
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    drilling2.jpg

$140,025.00

That was the Kreighoff Drilling that had been presented at one time to Hitler.

Interesting fact, in the next 14 days or so we will have sold over 2 BILLION dollars worth of merchandise on GunBroker.com since we started. What is really amazing is that we just hit #1 Billion mark back in 2009. So ten years to get the first billion and 3 for the next...
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    drilling2.jpg

$140,025.00

Was that Adolph's weapon?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    drilling2.jpg

$140,025.00

When was it and what exactly is it? Thanks Capn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    drilling2.jpg

$140,025.00

When was it and what exactly is it? Thanks Capn.

Sorry, I was adding that to my earlier post. It was Jan of 2006, and as it was ending we were all at the SHOT Show State of the Industry dinner and the 15 minute rule kept getting hit for almost 2 hours. Only one guy had a web browser on his phone and we were all watching it and I was on the horn with the seller and our customer service people trying to make sure the buyers were legit.

The next closest thing was an H1 Hummer with twin 50s (full auto) that went for a little north of a $100k
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you have a history on the gun ? I think the big dollar guns with proper provenance gives GB credibility needed to compete with th big boy auctions!
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's some more info on the Drilling. Click on the first picture for some more pictures.

http://www.superfastcash.com/HTML/historical/historical.html
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Drilling ?????

Drillings, or "dreiling" (the German word "drei" means "three" so "Dreiling" means triplet-the form "Drilling" normally only used for triplet births and the drilling gun) normally consists of two matching shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel (German: Normaldrilling, common drilling), but may cover a much broader range of shapes and configurations.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Drilling ?????

Drilling's are popular in germany and switzerland

Two s/s shotgun barrels, with a riflebarrel underneeth - three barrels in a triangle
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod
    Do you have a history on the gun ? I think the big dollar guns with proper provenance gives GB credibility needed to compete with th big boy auctions!

The story on that particular gun was outstanding. It had been captured at the Eagles Nest by a paratrooper and after VE Day he had been reassigned to the Pacific and could not bring it with him due to space restrictions, so he sold it in the mess hall to the father of the person selling it back in '06. That gentleman who brought it back had no idea what it was, kept it under his bed and hunted with it regularly. Only after his death did his stepson research the item with Krieghoff and find out more about the item.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is wrong with me? Other gals get teary eyed watching "save the pets" commercials on TV....but no, not me.....I'm actually a little beside myself over thinking about that sale. (teary eyed even)
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Locust Fork
    What is wrong with me? Other gals get teary eyed watching "save the pets" commercials on TV....but no, not me.....I'm actually a little beside myself over thinking about that sale. (teary eyed even)

Much like you, I interact with that seller regularly. He finds some cool stuff, but not nearly as much as you do!!
    [:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What seems hard for me to figure out is what to do with it if I had it. I can see the collector value of it and would want to keep it, however to have it presented to one of the most evil person who ever lived is also kind of weird.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill
    Drilling ?????

Drillings, or "dreiling" (the German word "drei" means "three" so "Dreiling" means triplet-the form "Drilling" normally only used for triplet births and the drilling gun) normally consists of two matching shotgun barrels and a rifle barrel (German: Normaldrilling, common drilling), but may cover a much broader range of shapes and configurations.

commonly issued to Luftwaffe pilots for their survival weapons if shot down in hostile territory.
  • Options
    edited November -1

The story on that particular gun was outstanding. It had been captured at the Eagles Nest by a paratrooper and after VE Day he had been reassigned to the Pacific and could not bring it with him due to space restrictions, so he sold it in the mess hall to the father of the person selling it back in '06. That gentleman who brought it back had no idea what it was, kept it under his bed and hunted with it regularly. Only after his death did his stepson research the item with Krieghoff and find out more about the item.
    Was this particular kriegoff engraved to Adolph ?
  • Options
    edited November -1

Was this particular kriegoff engraved to Adolph ?

sorry, all the pics are in one big file.... see the underside of the trigger guard.
    ado1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was high bidder on that gun until I was outbid at the last minute by about $50,000. [:D]

Nice Kriegoff, Adloph!

All heil the feuer. My bet, It was his gun!
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely COOL!!! [:p]
  • Options
    NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Congratulations on your approaching milestone 2 Billion Dollars in sales CaptFun. [8D]
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,762 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about a million dollar give-away by Gunbroker to us that have supported it---[:)]--maybe a years free listing then-[:I]

You can tell that gun was his,,it just has that feeling
  • Options
    GashaulerGashauler Member Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have thought it was that 1911 that went earlier this year, I think. 100th anniversary or something special like that. IIRC the last bid I saw was somewhere around $80,000.

Learn something new everyday.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    Here's some more info on the Drilling. Click on the first picture for some more pictures.

http://www.superfastcash.com/HTML/historical/historical.html

Cool article, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    txlawdogtxlawdog Member Posts: 10,039 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    imagine what that gun would have been worth if it had an ironclad, verifiable provenance. the research is strongly suggestive that it belonged to hitler and was clearly enough for the buyer to lay down the money on, but its not a guarantee. what if there existed data that made it a veritable certainty? what could it have gone for? who knows, but i imagine its a big number.
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't doubt that the gun was manufactured for and presented to Hitler. He was presented with many guns; one of which he used to end his life, by some accounts. But it is highly unlikely that he ever used the Krieghoff; he was not a hunter. Now if it had been presented to Goerring it would have been used.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOSLEEP
    Congratulations on your approaching milestone 2 Billion Dollars in sales CaptFun. [8D]

Sure seems like CaptFun's turn for a mass giveaway [;)] [:D] [:p]