In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Breaking into your own house...

steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Today I had an appointment to get my taxes done. I had gotten home from work around 7:30AM and went to bed. I woke up around 2PM, got ready/changed and left. I walked up to my car and then it hit me... my keys and wallet were still inside in my work pants [V]. So anyway I'm thinking the old WWMD saying (What Would MacGyver Do) and I decide to break into my own house. It took me 5 minutes. Most of those were spent walking around the place looking for a weakness. I tried the old credit card in the lock method and that didn't work. I tried to see if I could slide up one of the windows but that didn't work either. I ended up busting out one of the windows on my front door that was near the door knob, reaching in, and unlocking the door. The door is crappy so it's no big loss. This got me thinking that if it only took me a few minutes to break into my own house it would take someone else only a few minutes too. Main thing is that there wasn't a clone of me waiting inside with a Remington 870 with flachette rounds when I got in. I suggest spending a few minutes trying to break into your own house. Get creative. It was worth me busting out a window to learn this lesson. Also, I'm getting over 3K back in taxes [:D] so I'll be able to make some improvements. -Toe

Comments

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    I broke into my house when i was 15. I locked the spare keys in my house and i was going camping and needed somthing . so i took a nail and poped the hinges on my skreen and opened the window . I felt like a magyver

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would take them even less time, as they wouldn't hesatate to break the window in the first place (or just kick in the door).

It is a good idea to try and break-in your own home, if only to see how "the other side" see's it.

Whittemore
    Some guys like a mag full of lead, I still prefer one round to the head.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    As a locksmith, I can tell you that it would surprise most people to see how fast many locks can be neutralized, without detection from the homeowner.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reminds me of a story here one time.. Stephen and I went away for the weekend.. Our youngest son was out of town at the same time.. The neighbor knew everyone was out of town so when they see this guy walking around the yard at night looking about the house so he calls the police...Kerry got home early and realizes he forgot and left his keys on his nightstand before he went away..[:)] As he was trying to crawl inside thru the window he just broke, a police officer grabbed him by the pants[:0]..lol lucky for him, Kerry had ID to prove he lived here..I bet he still has keys hidden about the yard to this day[:D][:D][:D]

Chihuahua_mexican.gif
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Drove off one time & didn't know my wife was working in the back yard.
    When she tried to get in everything was locked up.
    We had a window box in the kitchen over the sink with small sliding windows & with the help of a neighbor she managed to crawl through the window & down over the sink.
    I still cannot imagine how she could have fit through that tiny window.
    What really made her mad was she saw me driving off & chased after me down the street.
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Swwbo Posted - 02/27/2004 : 10:03:11 PM
    Reminds me of a story here one time.. Stephen and I went away for the weekend.. Our youngest son was out of town at the same time.. The neighbor knew everyone was out of town so when they see this guy walking around the yard at night looking about the house so he calls the police...Kerry got home early and realizes he forgot and left his keys on his nightstand before he went away.. As he was trying to crawl inside thru the window he just broke, a police officer grabbed him by the pants..lol lucky for him, Kerry had ID to prove he lived here..I bet he still has keys hidden about the yard to this day

my youngest wasn't so lucky as a stepson different last name the local police gave him a guest bed for the night. we all had a good laugh but your right to this day there are keys hidden and we sold that house two years ago

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Brth729Brth729 Member Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had to do it a couple times when I was younger and still living with my folks. I think it kind of surprised my dad at how easily it was able to be done. Fortunately, I haven't had to do it since being out on my own.

Brian

My grandfather once told me,"It's not what a man possesses that determines the importance and quality of his life, but rather what possesses the man.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Have also fooled with locks and lockpicks here at the hospital.

Most fun one was when two Laryngoscopes came back from service in two factory made carryingcases - eventhough it wasn't the best quality locks, they were still way better than the usual locks on carrying cases and even had a safety built in, so it wouldn't open unless it was laying right.

Took me about a minute worth for each of the four locks - only using a paperclip and a tongue-spatula (or whatever they're called.. those thingys that the docs use to look down your throat.)

Have bypassed a few 5 pin doorlocks, a lot of padlocks and some office-inventary where the locks gone screwy.

Learned by just reading on the net.. www.yahoo.com under hobbies.. lockpicking.!!

Scary thought actually.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.