In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Had some fun with the .450 marlin...

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
this past weekend.[:p] First time I have really got a chance to go out and put more then a few rounds through it. Put 12 rounds through it and my little frame and ice cream shoulder was screaming like a little baby.[:D] I don't think I could put more then about 15 rounds through it in one sitting, unless it was a life or death situation.

The gun was a Marlin 1895M(18.5" bbl.) and ammo was a mix of Hornady 325 gr. Leverevolution and 350 gr. FP. Shot groups right around 1-1.5" at 25 yards(kneeling) and 50 yards(from the bench) respectively. These were with the factory open sights. I usually have a picture or two to post, but I unfortunately forgot to grab the targets when I left the range this time.[B)]

I did pick up a Limbsaver recoil pad for it yesterday. Should be a lot more forgiving then the factory pad.

Jon

Comments

• iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    When bench shooting, wimp out and use what you need to. I've seen a guy sighting in a 340 weatherby mag that had a sack of lead shot between the gun butt and his shoulder... he said it made it feel like a 223...
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    I've shot the 450 Marlin off the bench.

Two rounds.

That ain't no wimpy little gun, man.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    Get that LimbSaver on there and it will feel like a whole different weapon. They work.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: I've shot the 450 Marlin off the bench.

Two rounds.

That ain't no wimpy little gun, man.

Definitely not. The thing kicks much worse then either one of my .375's! Once I get the pad on and add a little weight with a cartridge holder and some rounds, I think it should mello out a little bit.[:D]

Jon
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Got two Marlin 1895's myself - The stainless guidegun and the blued "Cowboy". Yet in .45/70Gov't.

Both slightly personalized.
    The 26" barrel Cowboy has the factory sights removed and I installed a Vernier-rearsight and a Globe frontsight instead.
    The 18.5" Guidegun has the factory sights removed and replaced with XS Sight System GhostRings and LeverScout-rail, so I can use red-dot or the Leupold 2.5x28 LER scout scope on it, or offcourse the GhostRings.

It has 2200 ft-lbs of energy in it's standard loads, but can be handloaded up to a yield right around 3800 ft-lbs.
    So in essence, it would equal that of the .338WinMag with a good hefty load.

So handloaded .45/70 and standard/handloaded .450Marlin in the Marlin 1895 is no "wimpy" combination. =o)

Hornady LeverEvolution is currently 3038 ft-lbs and still has room for improvement, if need be.

marlins.jpg