In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paying through the nose for primers...

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have been trying to find primers and every place I checked tells the same story..."If you aren't in the store when the shipment arrives you can forget about picking up any primers." They can't keep them on the shelves and the manufacturers can't keep up with the demand.

I finally ordered 1000 small pistol and 1000 large pistol primers from Cabela's...and there is a 8 week delay in shipment plus a $20.00 shipment surcharge in addition to $7.50 shipping and $4.60 sales tax.

Buying them this way almost doubles the cost of 1000 primers...but if you want them that is what you have to do to get them. The good news is that the $20.00 surcharge for shipping primers is the same whether you order 100 or 10,000.

I wonder when this ammo and componet supply problem is going to ease up....

Comments

• gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've had no problems at all finding primers of any sort; I just look in the primer magazine, and VIOLA!-thousands of 'em! I sympathize with all of you that didn't get the message years ago, but as I set up the RL550 for another caliber, I smile to myself and grab another pickup tube full.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    quote:primer magazine,

????
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Moonshine---
    Some states require that primers be kept in a approved magazine, similar to the ones needed for powder storage...
  • JohnharleyJohnharley Member Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem. I went to the local Scheels store and the sales guy said they put them on the shelf as soon as they come in. No waiting list. I asked him if he gets commisions on his sales. He said he does. I gave him my ph# and said how about calling me when they come in. I had primers 3 days later at list price. I will go to him on my next big purchase.
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby

I wonder when this ammo and componet supply problem is going to ease up....

How many more days does Obama have left in office?
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wont your local shop let you do the "lay away" thing?

Pay for them now and pick them up when they arrive.

Do that all the time with ammo that my local dealer does not have in stock. He kind of likes it. For he knows that even before he places an order, it is sold. And the only extra work he has to do in a normal resupply order is make a phone call to let me know that the stuff I wanted is in.
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dealer is limiting primer sales to 200/person.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going through my reloading stuff because I was thinking of starting to reload again and found about 3000 small pistol primers from the early seventies. They are in plastic containers like pill bottles and are still just fine.
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    found 13k today online. Fed lp mag. Bought them all.www.lockstock.com
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Just take twice as long to reload the ammo - and extra time sighting.

Then you would have saved the lead and powder.