In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL......

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
How To Give A Cat A Pill.....

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby position, with right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in the left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse in from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force \ mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check record for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve the friggin' cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13. Tie the little meanie's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining room table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for Humane Society to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

Comments

• hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever seen a Vet do it. Makes it look so easy. Even showed me the trick of Blowing on its nose to make it Swallow. It looked so easy.[:o)][:o)][:o)]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Beth does it all the time. She makes it look easy, she uses a pill popper sometimes on the difficult cats, generally just scruff em and poke it down em. Then they are mad at her for a couple hours..[:D][:D]
  • 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That was funny!

Can't imagine giving a cat a pill.

Unless it was from a .22 [;)]
    edited November -1
    You dont want to shoot cats in Florida, it can be a Felony....[:0]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    You dont want to shoot cats in Florida, it can be a Felony....[:0]

Glad that I dont live there then.[;)]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    A pair of elbow length leather welding gloves help too[:D]
    edited November -1
    What person in their right mind shoots cats for sport???

I dont like other peoples dogs or any dog for that matter, but I dont go around shooting them..
    edited November -1
    There are quite a few feral cats out in this country. Mostly over populated barn cats.

No I dont go to town to shoot family cats.
    edited November -1
    In several states it is against the law to shoot cats, feral or not. In florda cats have the right to roam, Dogs have a leash law. If people would take care of all their pets there wouldnt be a problem.. We have packs of wild dogs down here, people move out and just abandon them.

What really gets me is mowing the lawn and hit a big pile of some dogs crap.. At least a cat covers theirs..[:0][;)]
  • footlongfootlong Member Posts: 8,009
    edited November -1
    I know a woman in Augusta who has over 700 cats. Her "cattery" is at least 4000sq ft. Its called "The Ark". She has a special dumpster just for the cat poop. Wanna adopt one[?] Call 803 279 0077[:0]
    edited November -1
    Footlong: we feed approximatly 20 cats that roam the neighborhood. Have three of our own in the house that never go outside unless we put them in the big yard cage or have em on a leash..This new Bengal (asian Leapord) is a real hoot, never a dull moment with him around..
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hahaha, if the pill is small enough I just imbed it in a cat treat...they don't know what's going on [:D]

BTW. for dogs they also have those dog treats where the middle is hollow for a pill
    edited November -1
    cats are pretty smart, I have seen them turn their noses up at food with something mixed in it, Most medications Beth gives cats are liquid and given with a modified syringe like an eyedropper..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KSUmarksman
    hahaha, if the pill is small enough I just imbed it in a cat treat...they don't know what's going on [:D]

BTW. for dogs they also have those dog treats where the middle is hollow for a pill

Right and keep a real eye on them cause most times they are spitting out the pill.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    In several states it is against the law to shoot cats, feral or not. In florda cats have the right to roam, Dogs have a leash law. If people would take care of all their pets there wouldnt be a problem.. We have packs of wild dogs down here, people move out and just abandon them.

These wild barn cats have never been fed or touched by human hands. They serve a great purpose controlling pigeons and mice. But they do over populate pretty quickly. I try to target the huge noisy tom cats. 4-5 cats in the barn is plenty. Any more than that and it's kind of scary just walking inside.

I love having them around.
    edited November -1
    Outside cats have a fairly short life span.. The average life span of a Feral cat is less than two years on their own. If they are lucky, enough to be in a colony that has a caretaker to feed them.

House cats are a different story,

What is the average life span of a house cat? ... The official average lifespan of a cat in the US is 13-14 years old at this time. ...
    edited November -1
    Most of these cats last probably 5 yrs unless the owls get them.

I've never found a dead one.
  • minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Live trapped at least 35 feral cats out of my backyard over the past year. Most were female and had a sore eyed litter hanging around the trap hollerin for mommy. (they're even harder to catch)
    SPCA don't want anymore,told me they were going to start charging if I brought more in.
    Even had a couple neutered,vaccinated,and turned them back loose.
    One a huge one eared tom that looked like a shorthaired smoke grey Maine *,weighed 26# at the vet. [:0]
    He's still around,I see him laying on the porch some mornings,don't like me a bit. [:D]

Now what?
    Can't shoot em: momma will freak.
    Don't have the heart to poison em.
    Hate to watch them starve: but I ain't going to feed em.
    Maybe I should turn a couple of foxes loose?

Classic I'll bet if you set out a feeder in an out of the way place and film it you'll find you've got a lot more cats than you think.

(the ones I caught came off of a 50'x100' overgrown lot next to me.)

Florida's overrun with feral cats.

Allen
    edited November -1
    I'm kind of lucky right now. Only have one Feral Cat I'm feeding. Know its just one cause i wait till she lets me know she is hungry then I feed just enough for her. She cleans her plate just fine.
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    We have to give Ralph a pill twice a day along with liquid meds. He`s real good at pretending to swallow it,then you will find it spit out on the floor. The wife is good at giving the meds,not me.
    edited November -1
    If he has it in his mouth and you can hold his mouth shut. Blow on his nose. The only way he can breath is to swallow then take a breath. Something my Vet showed me, can use it on 2 of my cats.

One will tear me to shredds just looking like I'm going to do something.
  • SWAT 50SWAT 50 Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7RiverMan7
    There are quite a few feral cats out in this country. Mostly over populated barn cats.

How the Hell do you know if they belong to anyone or not?

Some folks give there animals there fredom and when they come home they are loved all the same. I am afraid if some SOB shot any of my cats, I may go to prison. So be glad you don't live close to me.
  • Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You aint supposed to be postin BR! And you still aint answered my email [:D][:D]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SWAT 50

Some folks give there animals there fredom and when they come home they are loved all the same. I am afraid if some SOB shot any of my cats, I may go to prison. So be glad you don't live close to me.

You need to keep your cats on your property! On my property,. I can do tho them as I see fit. I plug em with my BB gun. Doesn't kill em, but they learn real quick to not dig up my garden or my flowers, on MY property the I worked hard to grow.
  • SpartacusSpartacus Member Posts: 14,415
    edited November -1
    the original post is hilarious! LMAO!![:D]

I WILL NOT comment on the shooting of stray cats and or dogs.
    the last time I commented on that subject I got into an arguement with a forum mod (not here) and was banned FOR LIFE!!
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    One of my favorites...

Our cat got a tapeworm, and the vet prescribed the pill and said we had the option of taking it home to give to her. I said "Heck no! That's what I'm paying you for..."
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been around cats that the original post was portraying accurately. 5 monthes ago I lost the best cat God ever put on this earth. Fletcher lived to be 19y and 8m. The last 4 years he had to have a 2x daily pill. I would just pick him up and slide the pill down. No muss, no fuss. He loved me, wasn't about to bite me. I know that few cats are like him. Most are mean S.O.B.S.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SWAT 50

If you lived 15 miles from town and your nearest neighbor is 2 miles and you knew they didnt have cats, what would you do?

I have no problem shooting dogs or cats that are causing an issue on my property. If my dogs were chasing somebodies cattle I would hope they would take care of the problem.

The big toms I run into usually have had their ears froze off, half a tail and are tougher than boot leather. No collars, no owners and no problem. A .22 solves my problem and a shovel takes care of the stink.

I'm glad I dont have a neighbor like you, SWAT 50.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    1: Shoot cat

2: Get another cat that doesn't need a pill.

Simple.