In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opinions on new "Safer" Firearms?

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Many companies, such as Taurus and Remington are incorporating new safety features on their guns. They both have a key that can lock the firing, cocking, trigger mechanism. What are your opinions on these features.

How about the new fingerprint, electric safety featured guns. Taurus is one of the front runners on this technology.

I personally wont buy a gun with these features. As long as there is one gun company that holds out, I will give them my business.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Comments

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    My H&K has a key. I unlocked it and put the key in with the owners manual and box. I would think such saftey features as the key system are more for putting the gun away for awhile, or setting it down where someone might come across it. Obviously, if you depend on the gun, it would be ridiculous and deadly to have to unlock it and shoot it.

I haven't seen or worked one with a fingerprint lock. Sounds lke a great idea, but I would need more. What if you sell it? What if you have more than one user? How dependable/quick are they. Questions such as thses would have to be answered before I could give opinion on fingerprints, although it sounds cool and high tech...

Do they make the guns worthless to burglars or are they easily by-passed? Lot's of issues...

Hey, if its not a gratuitous or legislatively forced change, but one that adds value and ergonomics to the gun, I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Handguns jam as it is. The more variables you introduce into the firearm, the higher the chance of a malfunction occuring. I don't like it. It seems to me that the safety mechanism should be confined to the one between the ears.[:D][:p]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There will be no such thing as a safer firearm in the real and practical world just more bells and whistles to allow the user to be more irresponsible.

For example, if skydiving equipment is so safe today then why are the safety features built in to make the equipment so safe actually killing people? The basic airborne saticline rig is crude at best compared to the latest hi-tech skydiving rig yet that crude device with a responsible user allows for hundreds of thousands of safe deployments and descents. On the other hand, I have taken off many a hi-tech rig from an unfortunate sport jumper who met an untimely demise due to a safety device malfunctioning and/or interfearing with the deployment of the main and resrve parachutes during emergency situations...................these hi-tech safety devices, even though they do save lives and do make a device technically safer, breed irresponsibility by virtually illiminating the need for an active discipline for training and regular practice in the use of the device whether it be a parachute or a firearm.

"I shot my buddy while demonstrating dry-firing with my Taurus revolver because I thought the hammer lock device was engaged."

"I was shot by a intruder because I was not able to free the mag lock on my Glock"

The firearm will remain a deadly weapon in the hands of the irresponsible, the untrained, and the criminal no matter how many safety features or devices it may have.

Firearms do not magically go off or fire by themselves. A person must deliberately handle, manipulate it, point it, and pull or activate the trigger in order for it to fire.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Gunpaq,

Good point.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    Gun safety is between the ears. No where else.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Get the Picture!

Your asleep in your bed, noise in living room, turn on light, find stranger loading up your stuff in a bag, he sees you and points gun at you, you say "Excuse me for a minute, I gotta get this lock off my pistol, then wait for the instant fingerprint scan, so you wait right there," YEA RIGHT[}:)][}:)]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda like this...

gun_lock_safety_700.jpg

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Only way I'd accept a gun with fingerprint-scanner, would be if it was required by law and there were no other alternative.

As long as good ol' straight mechanical guns are reliable and dependable, I'd be sure to set up the required safety on them myself.

I don't want anything that might run out of battery in a pinch.
    I don't want some extra feature, like an option of a lock that can be put in and keys forgotten or broken.
    I want it plain and simple - my safety is my triggerfinger and enough info.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.