In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

just some random pics

cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Sunset while notill planting corn into sod
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTkuanBn.jpg

spring storm during calving only way it could get to cows from town was with the sled that day...the 4wheeler was on ground level and where sled sits that was how deep the snow is
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzkuanBn.jpg

Da Boss Man.....me haha
utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzIuanBn.jpg

better pic of me notill planting corn into a half section of sod
utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTcuanBn.jpg

Comments

• bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cowdoc, if you have a blade for that JD, I would like to borrow it for about 2 days.[:D]
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a big 12 ft dozer for a big four wheel drive JD but thats along ways to road it to you.[:D]
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pics. We've had alot of rain the last 24hrs. Flood warnings all over south central Iowa. That'll put a hold on the planting for a while and I'm sure it will drown out alot that has already been planted. Seems like this weather is the norm around here any more. Really wet spring, then all of a sudden it gets hot and dry. Usually a stuggle to get the crops in it seems, at least it seems this way the past couple of years.
    edited November -1
    little cold smoke/contrail at sunup at -10deg below zero
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxMjkuanBn.jpg

GPS and Auto steer system
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxNTUuanBn.jpg

and Might as well Offend somebody...yes I'll never completely grow up LOL
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxNDQuanBn.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sarge_3ad
    Thanks for the pics. We've had alot of rain the last 24hrs. Flood warnings all over south central Iowa. That'll put a hold on the planting for a while and I'm sure it will drown out alot that has already been planted. Seems like this weather is the norm around here any more. Really wet spring, then all of a sudden it gets hot and dry. Usually a stuggle to get the crops in it seems, at least it seems this way the past couple of years.

kinda the same way here sarge....and mudding in a crop unless it keeps raining is not a good deal! esp in my neck of the woods
    edited November -1
    GPS and auto steer look pretty neat. Will it make the turn for you at the end of the row or do you have to take over manually? Hell, with that you can take the markers off the planter and throw them in the scrap pile. [;)][:D]
  • pietro75pietro75 Member Posts: 7,048
    edited November -1
    Thanks for sharing, Trista and I were just driving across the prairie and she commented on all the farmers still working at 8:20 at night.

Keep up the good(hard) work!
    edited November -1
    GPS and auto steer look pretty neat. Will it make the turn for you at the end of the row or do you have to take over manually? Hell, with that you can take the markers off the planter and throw them in the scrap pile. [;)][:D]

no it will not turn you around at the end of field....but planting headlands doing a two pass trip around the field it will after you drive it around on the first trip around ..the second time around it will drive and turn the 90 degree turns doing the headlands by its self...the new thirty series John deere's with factory auto steer will just about turn the tractor completely around....you turn the wheel just enough to take it off line and reengage autosteer and it will turn you around... rode in one

pietro75, Thank you
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Wayta go DOC. I like the "no-till" deal. Is that unbusted sod? Or has it been tilled in the past?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc

no it will not turn you around at the end of field....but planting headlands doing a two pass trip around the field it will after you drive it around on the first trip around ..the second time around it will drive and turn the 90 degree turns doing the headlands by its self...the new thirty series John deere's with factory auto steer will just about turn the tractor completely around....you turn the wheel just enough to take it off line and reengage autosteer and it will turn you around... rode in one

pietro75, Thank you

Pretty neat stuff. Non of that stuff existed when I was still on the farm in the late 70's, very early 80's. Thanks again for the pics.
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always enjoy your pictures, doc. Fellers like you are gettin' scarce.

Clouder..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    Wayta go DOC. I like the "no-till" deal. Is that unbusted sod? Or has it been tilled in the past?

it had been tilled many many years ago I sprayed it with round up late last fall and once earlier this spring and then just plant into it....tillage is a thing of the past IMHO unless its some really rough ground and needs smoothed out.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

it had been tilled many many years ago I sprayed it with round up late last fall and once earlier this spring and then just plant into it....tillage is a thing of the past IMHO unless its some really rough ground and needs smoothed out.

Wow man, what a savings!! Not only fuel, but wear n tear...Good strategy on the RU. Hit it late(before freeze) then early spring(before thaw) and let jack frost help u out. Do U get a comparable yield from "notill", or do U have to fert. the hell out of it? Looks like some good laomy soil under the sod.
    Is that wind farm on your place too??
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    hey cowdoc i might be alittle out of practice but if you need help and are willing to pay i need work.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Damn. That GPS and auto steer take most of the work out of planting crops. Amazing what they can do these days.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many acres you got there?
    edited November -1
    fishkiller we get better yields no tilling out here pretty dry country here about 17" ave moisture/year.. every tillage pass costs about an inch worth of moisture they claim.. very very important for my neck of the wood......i had from 140bu corn to 176 bu/ac corn last year...before notill county avg was about 40 bu/ac.....to get more yield it takes more N

in fields that are notilled are just full of earth worms....back when we tilled everything you couldn't find an earth worm to save your life in the fields that were tilled

no the wind farm just missed me but they are going to expand so might be in it this time...they are talking about 120 more towers....oh yea that is the most productive wind farm in the USA that florida power and light owns...now Called Nextera engergy

Drobs little over two thousand acres of crop land...ie planted to corn wheat and sunflowers....dont know off the top of my head if you throw in hayland and pasture...alot...with my brother and dads operation...we all work together....would be getting close to ten thousand acres + or - thats owned and rented ground..

HK i dont really need a guy but there are guys who do
    edited November -1
    I'll take wormdirt over anhydrous anyday!!!Man that's GREAT!! And the fact that U don't break the root layer from the sod, is like having mulch to keep the moisture in he root zone.
    "Shouldda,couldda,wouldda"..huh?
  • mousemouse Member Posts: 3,624
    edited November -1
    Great pics! Man, I wouldn't want to be out in that weather.
    tough job. Thanks for feeding us.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,867 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Great pics doc, thanks for sharing.
    edited November -1
    i have a big 12 ft dozer for a big four wheel drive JD but thats along ways to road it to you.[:D]

[:D][:D][:D][:D]Wow, with that I could probably get done in half a day.

cowdoc, Thanks for all your hard work.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...Oh. I guess those greenies are OK, but they
    need to ripen a little.....[}:)][:o)]

harvest08003.jpg
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    utf-8BSU1HMDAxMzIuanBn.jpg

How do you like a loader on such a big tractor.

The reason I ask is, we have a loader that is too large for a 4320. It's the worst combination I've ever seen. The loader sits too far in front. It digs in too easy when there is a little roll to the ground. With the bucket out so far, the leverage takes weight off the rear tires. (No fluid in the rear tires)

I'm thinking of trying it out on the 4440, but the idea of a loader on a tractor used in the field might be a bit cumbersome.

MVC-466L.jpg
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks tapwater for the balance....grandad started as a McCormick dealer & dad was an ihc dealer till he got tired of corporate many years ago & quit...old book now about that called a corporate tragedy...been running both red & green...xmas colors ..thanx for pics
  • frog21frog21 Member Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pics,thanks Cowdoc.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 26,025 ******
    edited November -1
    Cowdoc, you guys don't do nothin' small-time, do ya? Great pics.
    Capt, on my 2630, the rear-most part of the loader, the part that is bolted to the "frame" is much further back than in your picture. It actually bolts to the very back of the engine.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,298 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimdeere
    Cowdoc, you guys don't do nothin' small-time, do ya? Great pics.
    Capt, on my 2630, the rear-most part of the loader, the part that is bolted to the "frame" is much further back than in your picture. It actually bolts to the very back of the engine.

Yeah, I know what you mean. The 148 loader on a 4020 is very similar.
    If you notice in the picture, the front of this loader doesn't stick out past the front of the tractor, so it doesn't seem likely that it can be mounted further back on the frame.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Capt,
    We had a 45 like cowdocs, with a loader. Not the same brand of loader mind you. Ours had a grapple, that we could take off, and a set of forks for round or large square bales.

It worked ok, but not exceptional. Was a good tool for loading silage into trucks and semi's. Loading bales on semi's was much faster with the backhoe and forks.

We sold ours this spring and bought a Gehl telehandler. Grapple bucket and forks. Everyone else seems to be sold on the telehandler, but maybe I am just too old school. I see it as more cumbersome and clumbsey, not to mention slower loading a truck.

I am sure a 45 with a westendorf loader like ours, or cowdoc's set up would work good for you. Your loader tractor looks like a pain to use. I bet loading the tires would help some, but the loader just isn't a good fit for the tractor.

If it helps, our westendorf loader unhooked easy enough, when we wanted to use the tractor minus the loader. Though I am sure we have more help on our farm, then you are afforded at this time. It may not be so easy, in your case, to drop the loader.
  • TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cowdoc... do you ever subsoil every so often to let moisture into the deep soil? Some used to do that down here and were satisfied with the results.
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pics bro.

Very nice.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now thats a Tractor, I help a local Dairy farmer when ever I want to work, I use the manure spreader, or use the bobcat to scrape the barns out into the manure pit etc. He has a JD 4440 and a JD 2840 with a bucket. I thought the 4440 was a tractor, I cant believe the size of yours.
    edited November -1
    White Clouder.....thanks
    tango no we dont subsoil here to many rocks
    Captplaid .....i like the loader on bigger tractors more stable ectect...when stacking biground bales i carry two with loader and two on the back with bale fork....i dont have confined areas to work in though
    your loader looks like it would fit better on the 4440
    i don't really like my loader....it works good though....looked high and low for a 280 to put on it.....the 280 JD loader it the toughest loader made that i know of....this loader will not last as good as a 280 for sure
    edited November -1
    We used an ancient Intl. B-275 (my brother still uses it.) Heck cowdoc, with your planting rig, we could have planted the whole field in about 8 passes![:D]