In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AK47 kits

bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just received one of those AMD-63 kits from Centerfire & boy what a beauty! Brand new, virtually unfired full auto(minus sheet-metal receiver).
Man, it's really a temptation to put a receiver on this thing just like it is. I will, however, resist the temptation as I don't have ten years to spare.
I ordered a do-it-yourself receiver blank & intend to roll my own.
Anybody on here ever attempt this? Kinda looks like a fun project.
If it all works out I figure on having less than $200 in the gun in running condition.
Comments, anyone??
[:D][:D]barto[:D][:D]

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK

Comments

• cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    barto,

You got me interested. I checked GB but see nothing from Centerfire. I know nothing about the AMD-63 except that it appears this was a full auto ver of the AK minus the receiver. If you buy a semi-auto receiver and assemble the rifle, how does it differ from a regular AK-47?

Thanks

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good luck rolling the rcvr, never met anyone that did it and had it come out lined up unless they took a die grinder and cut it along the bend lines and welded it back, but for that you could just get a weld pack.

You might try www.bent-metal.com I'd rather drill and cut than try to bend, especially the pre-fab flats, with metal already cut out, makes it real easy to bend in the wrong places, ie bend along the mag well instead of out at the side of it.

I use Ohio Ordinance rcvrs myself, $59 for it and the rails are installed already. Just recently finished a bulgy '74 kit So easy it almost took the work out of it, and it functions flawlessly.

Hope I helped, -Ralph

edit -cbx, you leave out the auto sear, and under no circumstances do you drill the 3rd pin hole for it(auto sear) everything else goes in normally, semi- auto only. You will have probs with the selector if you don't flatten it off to make it only a safety, because unless the selector is fully down, the hammer will follow the bolt down on the second round, sometimes it fires it (full auto for 2-3 shots) but mostly just dents the primer causing you to have to cycle it manually to fire the next round. The auto sear allows the bolt to have a head start, ahead of the hammer, so it strikes hard enough to fire the next round chambered. Possesion of a rcvr with the 3rd hole drilled is possesion of an illegal F/A, I believe. Simply possesing the spare part auto sear is not a crime (yet) on AKs like it is on ARs, but I recommend trashing it to be sure.

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info REB. There must be some features though that differ the 63 vs the std AK. Otherwise who would bother? Sure you could say "this used to be a full auto" but there has to be something else.

• Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    What's the barrel length on the kit?

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    working on one right now. I used a weld-kit receiver but cut the top rails too narrow so I wound up having to cut them off completely, cut out long rectangles of sheet metal and weld them on. It's ugly, but when complete I think she'll shoot.

I got my kit from centerfire systems, too, but my kit came with semi-auto parts, not full auto. Then again I bought mine a couple of months ago so maybe they stoped putting the semi ones in it.

Dont' forget to spot weld the barrel nut and grind off the bayo lug. Never know who's watching.[:D][}:)]

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    red223-
    The barrel length is 16.5" on the AMD-63 and 12&change on the AMD-65.
    ALL the info you might need can be found at www.gunsnet.net
    [^][^]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    folding & drilling a blank sucks, let alone a folded one that you drill, then installing the rail is another pain in the rear.

Tried both, the fold yourself, on a 15ton press was off about .002-.008, pain in the rear to set up took about 2 hrs, first fold looked good. 2nd fold took about a 1hr to set up, left front came in -.002, taperering to rear at +.008

2nd was folded & drill your self. Put on Tree Vert. Mill, layed out,
    checked lay out 3or4 times. started with .020 drills for centers, checked again,ok. Drilled through left side, into blind right side.
    Holes were off from .003-.015 on blind right side.

Finaly used a FiringLine milled billet post ban receiver cost $124, best thing I ever did! Everything fit the first time plus is a milled billet reciever!
    Dump the hammer & sear, they are ruff & slap, get one of those redstar american tool steel and hardend, they are sweet.
    My 2cents...
    Walte
    edited November -1
    barto,

Does yours look as good as #15587999 on GB? If so, I better get the checkbook out!

• jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have long looked at these kits from Centerfire and was wondering. How much experience do I need to put one of these together? I like to think of myself as somewhat of a handy man and I am good at reading and following instructions. However what kind of equiptment is required to build this rifle? Considering the work that needs to be done on the reciever.

medal.gif27Nov2003 Samarra, Iraq