In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Check this e-bay scam out!

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I bid on a new after market soft tail wide tire rolling chassis on e-bay a while back. I am planning on building at leastb one custom and probably more with my sights on making a business of it. The chassis was not what I really wanted but it had a low opening bid and I ran it to a low figure ($1000) but I knew it would go for $2000 to $3000. I only did it because at $1000 it was cheap. The item and selller was in the U.S. and all was above board. Apparently some one saw me bidding on it and here is a copy of the e-mail they sent me to scam me. Read it and tell me what a scam you think it is! Below is the full contemt of the e-mail.

"jjmitchell60 ??:

Dear sir, First of all my name is Lucy an e-Bay member toolocated in London/UK and i got a proposition for you . I have got a same HARLEY SOFTAIL ROLLING CHASSIS WHEELS FRAME you bid on and i am willing to give it for $2100(shippment and handling insurance) .The shippment is insured by FedEx (2-3days)and the payment request by transfer money order Money Gramm/Western Union services. If you are interested contact me!

??!
k_kidul"

Wonder how many they have suckered in this type of scam so far. I am going to forward it to E-bay as if they care.[V]

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive ebay will be very interested in it with the experiences I have had with them.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Mitchell

Just did a search on E-Bay for k_kidul and it shows a seller/buyer transaction as; Zero Transactions.

Another Scam probably.

1-Powder

2-Patch

3-Ball

4-Remove the Rod

5-Do Not Forget the Cap.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I just got done sending flea-bay a copy of the e-mail so they can do nothing about it![;)] I buy some from flea-bay but I am getting more and more unimpresssed with their every changing policies especially when it comes to firearm related items. Used to pick up BP items cheap but they have clamped down on them as well here lately!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    REPORT THAT E-MAIL TO E-BAY SAFE HARBOR they will do thier best to track the Email and then disable any account that is on the users
    PC. Its not much But if everyone that got these scam emails did it
    it would slow the Rodents down a bit. ALWAYS REPORT THIS STUFF!

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ebay is out of control
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim...I won an auction last month for a GPS system and received this e-mail for someone other than the person I bought from.

I noticed that you recently were successful in an auction on Ebay for a Garmin GPS Unit. If it is of any interest to you, I can provide you with some Garmin Mapsource Software for your GPS.

I have available:

Mapsource Topo (3 Disks)
    Metroguide Europe V5.0 (Latest Release & updated 2003)
    Metroguide Canada with Roads & Recreation (Latest Version)
    Metroguide USA V5.0 (Latest Release & updated 2003)
    Metroguide Great Britain
    Metroguide France
    European Roads & Recreation V4.0
    USA Roads & Recreation V3.03
    Mapsource Worldmap V3.0

This is a genuine offer and I offer a money back guarantee on all disks if not totally satisfied. I also check that they run and install before I send them out.

I can accept payment via Paypal. If you would like to buy, please let me know and I will give you more information and prices plus my Paypal ID.

Hope this is of interest to you.

I forwarded it to E-Bay, but haven't heard anything yet. I seriously doubt that they do anything.
    Let us know what you hear back from them, if you follow through.
  • kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's another common one:

A person offers an expensive item for sale ie someting > $1000.

Let's say they are selling a car for $1,500.

They then get an email from a foreign address, usuall UK, saying they have a buyer who really wants that specific car and are willing to pay a premium to guarantee they get it. They offer $2,100 to the seller in a cashiers check.

The seller jumps at it and ships the car and deposits the check. A few days later, their bank discovers the cashiers check was forged and removes the funds from the sellers account. The car is already gone to a foriegn country and the seller has nothing. The process took a few days because routing numbers on the forged check take a bit longer to track down because of the overseas factor.

Thus, both Buyers and Sellers should beware of too good to be true scams.

http://ynot4free.com