In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Extreme Violence in Mexico! Huh?

zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
"The Mexican government is beginning to address concerns about the unacceptable level of violence along our border. Nevertheless, more than 100 violent deaths have occurred along the border since June," Garza said."

What a bunch of pap!

Mexico, a great place ... JUST keep your nose out of their politics,
religion and follow their laws.

WE are warning folks that MEXICO is a 'violent place!??'

HUH?

We ARE the NUMERO UNO MURDER CAPITAL OF THE ENTIRE (WHOLE for some of you) WORLD!!!

Nobody even comes CLOSE to the number of innocents murdered every
hour, every day, every month, every year in OUR country.

Policemen murdered by criminals? Ah, I feel so secure that American policemen have nothing to fear, here! ... sure is a BIG Police Memorial
Wall in DC - wonder where they get all the names each year to engrave on THAT baby!?? Didn't they just expand it a year or so ago because it was filling up so fast? MIGHT be mistaken there but I don't think so!

Wanna talk about child kidnappings, rape and murder compared - speaking of wanton violence - to other countries? Wanna talk about what HAPPENS to convicted child molesters in this country compared to what happens to them in, let's say, China!?? A tribunal (three judges) within two weeks - no appeal - a bullet to the back of the head within two weeks - offender's family is billed for the bullet! I like that system a LOT better than the travesty that we have here!

I think we've got a LOT of 'house cleaning' to do before we can get our panties all in a ruffle fearing the 'barbaric' Mexicans!

... and yes - I like Mexico - been going there for more than 50 years - never a problem. Will be going down in a month or so for another vacation to the interior. Rather be there than just about any big American city I can think of - it's a LOT safer there! Fer sure!

Comments

• Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm calling BS on this one. According to all the statistics and info I could find, Russia, Mexico, Columbia and SOuth Africa are the world's murder capitals. In total murders, the US is never higher than sixth place and in murders per capita we don't even crack the top six (nationmaster.com.) We've got higher murder rates than other western industrial countries but so what? Freedom is burden to some people who won't exercise it responsibly.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Hmmmm.

Well, IF you accept five year old data ... maybe.

Go to; http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur for the data.

Providing the data has remained static/constant that long you
    could be on to something.

The top five seem to be organized crime driven. I think most of
    American crime is that fine old private incentive kind! That's
    just my opinion, of course.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like mexico so much please feel free to move there. If you don't see a problem with Illegal immigrants murdering Americans on our border I'm really not sure which side your on.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    ginmartiniginmartini Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would agree with Dave...If you like it stay there, you won't be missed by me.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While we top the world in terms of absolute numbers of people behind bars (and are near or at the top in terms of proportion of the population in prison), the data I've seen suggest that the USA isn't even in the top ten in terms of murder rates.

This article makes some interesting points:
    http://www.benbest.com/lifeext/murder.html#world

Other countries with higher homicide rates: Columbia, Puerto Rico, El Salvador, Albania, Brazil, Jamaica, etc.

Most American murders are drug related, and this is probably true of many of the other countries as well. Its harsh but young African American males represent a disproportionate number of American homicide victims.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We number one in Incarcerations due to the fact the system is sending people to prison for almost any crime. There are some really innocent (no harm done) crimes that people get big time for.. such as smoking a joint (I dont condon drug use) but seems stupid to give a guy 5 years for a couple ozs of Pot..

yo-yo.gifsmilie_flagge13.gifmittelgr124.gif
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Original by Classic095

quote:There are some really innocent (no harm done) crimes that people get big time for.. such as smoking a joint (I dont condon drug use) but seems stupid to give a guy 5 years for a couple ozs of Pot..

I concur. While no crime is truly "victimless" some crimes warrant more attention and punishment than others.

"Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep....and there are over 300 Level III Registered Sex Offenders who are homeless (I.E. LIVING ON THE FLIPPING STREETS WHERE THEY CAN'T BE TRACKED OR OBSERVED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT OR THE GENERAL PUBLIC) in Seattle. Level III means that they can be predatory in nature, have a history of sex offenses and other crimes and are likely to offend again and may possibly have refused or failed to complete a rahabilitory program that was ordered BY THE STATE!

I've got no problem with people who smoke pot. When's the last time you heard someone rob a liquor store to get their next marijuana fix? Shoot. That doesn't happen. When's the last time you heard of a DUI for driving under the influence of marijuana? Pretty darn rare. Pot just makes people more peaceful neighbors and don't give me that gateway drug crap. Of COURSE people who use crank have used pot before. That doesn't show causality. Most people who have used pot have smoked cigarettes before. I hear it's pretty tough to START with pot if you're not already used to cigarettes. I could be FOS because I've never smoked it but I don't condemn those who do as long as they don't harm me or mine. Seems booze is a bigger problem. The booze industry will never suffer another Prohibition because they are heavily represented in Congress. If they're not high they're certainly drunk most of the time. Just ask Ted.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Idsman,

I think the true story behind prohibition is probably the greatest untold story ever not told. We're told that a bunch of old ladies forced congress --the biggest bunch of immoral drunks you'd ever find in one place -- to band together against one of the biggest most powerful business lobbies of all time; and get this, they supposedly did it for "moral" reasons? Never happen.

A friend of mine told me once that his family ran a brewery in St. Louis before prohibition. There were tens of thousands of such small brewers in the US before prohibition. After prohibition, there were about a dozen big breweries in the US.

My friend claimed that the whole prohibition thing was a scam to run all the independant brewers out of business. The big breweries moved offshore, made rootbeer and soft drinks, sold some of their booze at inflated rates on the black market, and generally held out pretty well for the ten years of so that prohibition was in place.

After all the small companies died off, congress repealed the law and big breweries took over the entire market, leading to a oligopoly of a few brewers.
  • Options
    Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
    Speaking of people that smoke pot, is Zip high?

Dance Hippo. Dance.
    hippo-blue1.gif
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back on the topic of the dangers of Mexico.

I spent a lot of time down there when I was young and living on the West Coast. I went down the baja coast in vans, motocycles, lots of money, no money, by myself, with friends etc. Camped-out-passed-out, slept in the gutter, woods, beaches etc. engaged in unspeakable acts, defiled my humanity ad nauseaum etc. Trust me, the most dangerous thing in Mexico is an American tourist.
  • Options
    kaliforniankalifornian Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WTH?

According to numerous statistics, much of our crime problem is from letting Mexican criminals enter this country illegally.

Here are some stats:

95% of all outstanding murder warrants and 65% of all fugitive felony warrants in Los Angeles are for illegal aliens! (That's about 11,000 of the total 17,000 outstanding warrants).

As of 2004 over 17% of our Federal Prison population consists of illegal aliens.

Regarding your murder rate web page:
    Click on the "Per Capita" graph so that you actually account for population or click this link:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

Notice how Mexico is at #4 while we aren't even in the top 46 countries listed?

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/mx/Crime
    http://www.solutionsabroad.com/a_securitymexico.asp

Don't forget about all of the Mexican military and police personnel that assist drug traffickers and kidnappers. Also, don't forget about all of the victims that are too damn scared to report crime for fear that they will be punished by criminals and ignored by law enforcement personnel. I've spent a fair amount of time there and I have worked with a lot of Mexican immigrants, and I know for a fact that people there fear both law enforcement and ordinary criminals alike. If Mexico was such a paradise, 11% of all Mexican citizens wouldn't be living in this country instead of staying home.

Zipper: I'm not sure why exactly this quote set you off, or where you are coming from, but if you truly feel Mexico is better than here, I too encourage you move there.

http://Blog.LestDarknessFall.com
    http://LestDarknessFall.com