In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

anyone have weaver ring problems?

alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
my dad has had weaver rings on his winchester 70 for like +30 years and has never had any problems. i've had them on my 308 for 6 years and had them get loose once a couple years ago after hunting season was over. anyone with similar results for weaver rings?

www.alaskancampfire.com

Comments

• D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    That happened to my brother on his 270 so we put some finger nail polish on the screws, and they are still holding strong.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't use Weaver rings, but the nail polish or lock-tite will solve the problem 99% of the time.

He Dog
  • old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    I have used nothing but weaver rings for 30 years or more.They will usually take up a little when the gun is fired the first few times.I have never had a problem with them after that.I consider them the best rings available.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Had Weaver QRW rings on the Steyr Mannlicher Scout I once had - they held my Schmidt & Bender scope very very nicely.

I liked having the ability to take off the scope - and what's more important - they were sturdy and high enough in quality to hold Zero after removing/reattaching the scope.

At least hold the Zero at the 100-150-200 metres that I was usually shooting at.

Sold the rifle and the rings - but kept the scope, because I was so happy about it. It's on my Ansh?tz .22LR now. =o)

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no doubt that Weaver rings make up a VERY strong mounting system But in my opinion they are ugly as sin, and in my experience
    a pain to mount, Let me explain.....after you lay the scope
    in the ring bottoms and put on the top straps and start to tighten
    it "rolls" the scope canting the crosshairs[:(!] evey time.
    But they are excellent ring/mounts just not my cup of tea.

use_deer.jpg