In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Computer help needed

TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2015 in General Discussion
computer help needed

I have a windows 10 [yeah yeah i know] laptop;

I dont know if I deleted anything to cause the problem but when I go to click on the start/ windows logo nothing happens.

It should open up but all i see very briefly is that circle (like that buffering circle when loading a page takes too long) and nothing.

I can not even click to open games on my desktop, and I can not even click on that wifi icon to connect to my network.

the volume, wifi, notifications, start/ windows icon, It wont let me open any of them. Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe someone here can help me out.

My computer keeps restarting every 15 or so minutes on it's own. Running Vista if that makes a difference. Checked my power settings and set it to high performance and to sleep every 5 hours. Anything I'm missing? Also, I've yet to download the Internet Exploder patch. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I click on a post a get this message (The system cannot find the file specified. ) I hit refresh and then it will open. On the auction board I will get the same message when trying to go to page 2 , I can never get past page one. I have XP and Outlook Express. This only happends on Gunbroker.

Too Old To Fight,Too Lazy To Run!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My computer came with 2 hard drives and when they configured the hard drives they made the 20 gig the primary and the 100 gig the secondary.
    My problem is the 20 gig is maxed out to the point it makes the whole computer slow and the 100 gig is virtually empty. I have heard that I can and need to know how and if I can reverse my C and D drives to make my (D)100 gig HD the primary which would free up the system. I hope that makes sense because if anyone can tell me how to do this it would be very helpful to this slug of a computer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HELP. cat stepped on keyboard last night and now the type on my screen is too small. I can just barely read my messages now.

How do I increase the size of the type?? Thanks, Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm getting a new laptop and would like to transfer everything ( photos,music,programs) to the new one.

Is there an easy way to do it, like a transfer kit or something ?

I googled it, but don't know what I'm looking for. Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Computer says there was a problem when I turned it on and to go to safe mode to fix it. Safe mode does the same thing. Just a blue screen telling me what to do but it won't do it. Tried every boot mode but it won't boot up. Any ideas? I think there is a virus. Also I can't post on GB from home and don't think I can from work which is where I'm at now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    when ever i open a program, post, or anything my screen shrinks . i can click on the bottom and pull it down but it wont stay. soon as i click on something else it closes about 2" up from the bottom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just picked up a new computer and I'm using ATT/yahoo and now have a rash of MAILER-DAEMON@yahoo.com Email address were transferred automatically so that shouldn't be a problem. If I send BBC to several contacts maybe get 3 or 4 come back[:(!][V]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How do I get to the cookies?? I want to clean out the cookie jar and start over. I think. Do I need to do it?? All help apreciated. Tom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok no big deal here this is prolly an easy one for somebody. when i post on here and hit go back it goes to the forum page and not the topics page. another thing its doing is when im on ebay or yahoo or any other search engine when i scroll down the page and click on a link then hit go back it goes to the top of the page not half way down or 3/4 of the page where i was. what setting got screwed up and how do i change them

"There's been streetfights, blue lights...Long nights with the world sittin' on my chest...It just showed me how much I could take...Hard times, bad luck...Sometimes, life sucks...That's all right, I'm ok...It ain't nothin' but another day..."
    -M.G-
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i have one of those back up storage drives that i hold all of my pictures and stuff on. for some reason when i plug it into my computer nothing comes up now. it doesnt even show that i plugged in the drive.
    does anyone know what to do ? i have YEARS of very meaningful family pics and everything on there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I changed mother boards in two computers and the hard drive split on both. One says 8 GB in "C" and 32 in "E". The other says 2 in "C" and 38 in "E". I don't want a split system because it makes it more difficult for the kids. Can someone help? I'm not to bright so would need step by step instructions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I copied a music cd and it plays great on my computer but not at all on my home stereo and not on my car stereo. I used a CD-RW. Do you need a special or a different disc for recording music, Any tips are much appreciated.
    Thanks again Folks.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My girlfriend has a shiny new laptop. She likes to use Google Chrome.
    When she turns the computer on, she has the whole screen lit up. All the icons are on the left, such as trash bin, pictures, google chrome etc usw.
    So, when she clicks on Google Chrome, it is shifted to the right side of the screen. All the icons that are on the left side of the original screen are still visible. The 4 inches of the left side of the screen are visible.
    But, the right side of Google Chrome is is not visible. The little arrows where you go up or down are not visible. The little boxes, where you make the screen bigger or smaller are not visible. Google Chrome is shifted over to the right.

Due to this she can't use her email, she can't scroll up or down.

How does she get google chrome to fill up the entire screen?

This has been going on for a week.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I found my old puter running real slow, and I open up windows task manager to see the processes running, I see a line that says:
    SVCHOST.EXE 99% CPU USAGE system 24,789KB
    At the bottom of the task manager says 100% usage.[xx(]

There are 2 other SVCHOST.EXE Listed that have much less kb's and no cpu usage.

So I stopped that big user of 99% and the puter speeds back up but it seems unstable in the display sometimes.
    With that one line stopped the cpu usage drops to 4% to 40 % unless I ask something to load up.

Any ideas to help this computer idiot??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    my cat sometimes lays on my keyboard and usually presses keys that screws stuff up. today he did something and now the screen is horizontal and not vertical like it should be. does anyone know how to fix this ? i tried re-starting the comp but it didnt fix it.
    i am using a friends comp right now. HELP !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone ever hear of "progres" computer language???? Is it still used?

muss
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I loaded pictures from my camera onto the computer. I did this using a disc called "Picture Project."
    The photos were successfully loaded, and they look great. I now have a little icon on my desk top named "Picture Project."
    I can't figure how to get the photos from the Picture Project and into Photobucket.
    I have a lot of pictures in another file called "My Pictures." These are photos that I just got off the internet, or were emailed to me.
    When I click on "browse" on photobucket, it browses "My Pictures" and I can select the photo I want.
    I either need to figure out how to browse "Picture Project" from Photobucket, or else I need to move the "Picture Project" photos into the "My Pictures" file.

When I try to browse "Picture Project" from Photobucket, this pops up:

Upload Error
    >
    > The file "" does not have a valid image extension.
    > Valid image extensions are: gif, jpg, jpeg, png,
    > bmp,
    > swf.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Normally, I would ask my son the computer guru for help, but he has a bunch of stuff going on and is pizzed at the world and me especially right now and this is getting to be annoying.

Problem is that some videos will not download. Not all of them but mostly on a website like a news report with a video. Not all of them do it but when it does, the tab for the website at the top of the screen will never completely download am\nd the video screen is just black and unresponsive. The Youtube site is not a problem but it usually is if a link is given like it is on the GBGD forum.

Other times, when another tab opens, it will come up with just a white screen filled with nothing but encryption symbols. This has happened most of the time when I have typed in a comment to a thread on GBGD forum. Happens when I preview or post a reply to topic both.

I am running google chrome but have had good luck with it till now. As I said, it's not a real big deal but is very frustrating at times. I am not real computer savvy myself but any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 7 year old IBM Thinkpad laptop.
    I am trying to load photos into the computer.
    I have a Nikon camera. They gave me a CD called Pictureproject.

I am using Windows 2000.
    The directions say, to log on as either "Computer Administrator" or else as "Administrator," before I can load the CD.

How do I do this?
    I don't know much about computers so keep it simple.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I need to reformat my piece of Junk Dell laptop and can't remember how to reformat a computer.
    Anyone able to head me in the right direction?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a 7 year old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad.
    I am on a dial up.
    I decided to try to upload photos from my camera.
    I have had a Photobucket account for years. It has been quite fast on this computer.
    Well, I have Nikon camera, and in order to upload photos, I had to download a CD that came with the camera, called Pictureproject.
    So I downloaded that fine, had the logo on the computer screen.
    And, I was able to upload photos from the camera, went fine, they loaded up fast.
    The problem was, these photos were very difficult to load onto Photobucket.
    Took about 15 minutes, whereas, before, I could take pics off the internet and load them in 5 seconds on to my Photobucket account.
    I realized that my camera was taking huge photos, way too many pixels.
    So I resized the photos.
    Still couldn't load them onto Photobucket in a decent time.
    In fact, couldn't load them at all.
    So, I deleted the pics that I had loaded, thinking this would clear up Photobucket.
    No dice.
    So, I deleted the Pictureproject from the computer.
    Still no good.

Photobucket is slow as hell, and I cannot load any pictures on to it any more.
    Photobucket is useless to me.

Otherwise my computer works fine.

What has happened to screw up Photobucket?
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a computer nerd, but I'd check Java and see if your version is current.
  • Options
    IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    update your flashplayer
  • Options
    drl50drl50 Member Posts: 2,496
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    update your flashplayer

Thats what solved the same problem for me.