In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

dutch auction?

john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
edited April 2010 in General Discussion
Quick question-- On a dutch auction there were 10 pieces with a starting price of $ 9.95 each. I bid 15.00 on 2 of them and there were no other bidders in the auction.
The seller is billing me for 2 pieces @ my 15.88 bid each is this right as there were no other bidders and it was a no reserve dutch auction.
I thought it should have been 9.95 x 2 since there were no other bids placed. Am i right or cornfused? and do not want to contact the seller if i am wrong and make the usuall * out of myself because i was wrong. Thanks guys

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's kind of an interesting scenario; a Dutch Auction with you as the only bidder at the end. I would have thought the price would be the lowest (technically) bid; which in this case was what the seller set as the minimum bid ($9.95).

What was shown in the Auction End notice you received? It will tell you how many you won and at what price!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    That's kind of an interesting scenario; a Dutch Auction with you as the only bidder at the end. I would have thought the price would be the lowest (technically) bid; which in this case was what the seller set as the minimum bid ($9.95).

What was shown in the Auction End notice you received? It will tell you how many you won and at what price!

It says i won 2 and i was the only bidder and he invoiced me the amount i bid 15.88 X 2 and not the amount he started them for 9.95 each!.
  • Options
    LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tell him nice try and start a support issue.

I'm somewhat confused though, how would he know what your maximum bid would be?
    That is usually concealed by GB unless it reaches that level.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's supposed to be your lowest bid for your wins so tell seller no go and pass if not corrected then post negative feedback.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    That is one reason I hate dutch auctions, they are very confusing. I will not run any, nor bid on any for reasons like this.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why would anyone bid on a dutch auction, it's stupid? A dutch auction isn't an auction at all. It's a marketing ploy to raise the prices of items the seller is willing to sell for less. The starting price is his selling price, if you want one buy one, why bid it up higher? If a seller list a dutch auction starting at a penny then do not bid more than the penny, that way everyone gets it for a penny.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never ever bid higher than the minimum bid on a Dutch Auction, because there is No AutoBid, your bid is the price you are going to pay...

Dutch auctions are a special format in which the seller has multiple identical items to sell. You can bid on anywhere from one item to the available quantify of items. At the auction close, all winning bidders win their items at the lowest winning bid price.

You can identify a Dutch auction by the blue (D) in the item title, and because the quantity listed in the item listing will be greater than one. A Dutch auction cannot have a Reserve Price.

For example, a seller may have five copies of Stephen King's 'The Stand' (on videotape) to sell. Each copy of 'The Stand' is three videotapes together as a set. In the auction listing, the quantity posted will be 5, and the bid price is the amount bid for each item. If you want to bid on two copies at $10 each, you enter 2 in the Quantity field and 10.00 in the Bid Amount field. You do not enter 20.00 in the bid amount field, as this would be a bid for 2 copies at $20 each.

Dutch auctions are used when the seller has many of the same item to sell and wants the bidders to be able to bid on one or multiple items. In the dutch auction format, the bidders specify how many of the items they want to bid on. For example: John has 25 computer monitors he wants to sell. The monitors are all brand new and of the same type. He sets the starting bid at $200 per monitor. Sally wants to buy 10 of the monitors so she places a bid for 10 of them at $200 a piece. Mike is also interested in these monitors and places a bid for 15 of them at $200 a piece. Currently both Mike and Sally are bidding on separate items and a bid has been placed on all of the available monitors. Now Vicky decides she wants 5 monitors. Since all of the monitors now have a bid placed on them, she must outbid the last bidder which was Mike in this case. She places a bid of $250 each for 5 monitors. Now Mike is the high bidder for only 10 of his original 15 he bid on. If the auction ends with no more bids placed, Sally would have a winning bid for 10 of the monitors, Mike would have a winning bid for 10 of the monitors, and Vicky would have a winning bid for the remaining 5 monitors. The selling price of all 25 monitors is determined by the lowest winning bid price. In this scenario, all 25 monitors would sell for $200 each.

Each lot must be identical, and consists of one or more items. For example, if a seller wishes to sell two ammo cans he would list two lots, each lot consisting of one ammo can. If the seller wishes to sell 50 boxes of ammo in lots of 10, he would list five lots, each lot consisting of 10 boxes of ammo.

The seller specifies the minimum price (the starting bid) and the number of lots available. Bidders bid at or above that minimum for the quantity they are interested in purchasing. At the close of the auction, the highest bidders purchase the lots at the lowest successful bid.

For example, imagine there are 10 computers being sold at $500. Twenty-five people bid $500 for one computer each. In this case, only the first 10 people will be the successful bidders, since the bid amounts are the same, and earlier bids take precedence.

Now, say that one of those people bid $550 for one computer. Since his bid is higher than all the others are, he will certainly be one of the successful bidders. The earliest bidders who bid $500 will claim the other 9 computers, and the final price for each computer will be $500.

In the case of multiple quantities bid for by a bidder, the lowest bidder may not earn the right to purchase the complete quantity, since there may only be one left by the time the higher bidders have been processed. In other words, if the lowest bidder requested a quantity of 3 computers, he might only be entitled to one computer, since 9 other computers could be allocated to higher bidders. The only way around this problem is to ensure that you are not the lowest bidder. If it is agreeable to the seller, the bidder may not be obligated to partial quantities if the bidder cannot purchase the full quantity bid on. In that case, the seller may skip that bidder and move on to the next one, if any.

In Dutch auctions, the current standings are always displayed with the Item Description Page, and the complete bidding history including unsuccessful bids are also available.

Please note: AutoBid is not enabled during Dutch auctions.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    Good explaination Capt.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    Never ever bid higher than the minimum bid on a Dutch Auction, because there is No AutoBid, your bid is the price you are going to pay...

Dutch auctions are a special format in which the seller has multiple identical items to sell. You can bid on anywhere from one item to the available quantify of items. At the auction close, all winning bidders win their items at the lowest winning bid price.

You can identify a Dutch auction by the blue (D) in the item title, and because the quantity listed in the item listing will be greater than one. A Dutch auction cannot have a Reserve Price.

For example, a seller may have five copies of Stephen King's 'The Stand' (on videotape) to sell. Each copy of 'The Stand' is three videotapes together as a set. In the auction listing, the quantity posted will be 5, and the bid price is the amount bid for each item. If you want to bid on two copies at $10 each, you enter 2 in the Quantity field and 10.00 in the Bid Amount field. You do not enter 20.00 in the bid amount field, as this would be a bid for 2 copies at $20 each.

Dutch auctions are used when the seller has many of the same item to sell and wants the bidders to be able to bid on one or multiple items. In the dutch auction format, the bidders specify how many of the items they want to bid on. For example: John has 25 computer monitors he wants to sell. The monitors are all brand new and of the same type. He sets the starting bid at $200 per monitor. Sally wants to buy 10 of the monitors so she places a bid for 10 of them at $200 a piece. Mike is also interested in these monitors and places a bid for 15 of them at $200 a piece. Currently both Mike and Sally are bidding on separate items and a bid has been placed on all of the available monitors. Now Vicky decides she wants 5 monitors. Since all of the monitors now have a bid placed on them, she must outbid the last bidder which was Mike in this case. She places a bid of $250 each for 5 monitors. Now Mike is the high bidder for only 10 of his original 15 he bid on. If the auction ends with no more bids placed, Sally would have a winning bid for 10 of the monitors, Mike would have a winning bid for 10 of the monitors, and Vicky would have a winning bid for the remaining 5 monitors. The selling price of all 25 monitors is determined by the lowest winning bid price. In this scenario, all 25 monitors would sell for $200 each.

Each lot must be identical, and consists of one or more items. For example, if a seller wishes to sell two ammo cans he would list two lots, each lot consisting of one ammo can. If the seller wishes to sell 50 boxes of ammo in lots of 10, he would list five lots, each lot consisting of 10 boxes of ammo.

The seller specifies the minimum price (the starting bid) and the number of lots available. Bidders bid at or above that minimum for the quantity they are interested in purchasing. At the close of the auction, the highest bidders purchase the lots at the lowest successful bid.

For example, imagine there are 10 computers being sold at $500. Twenty-five people bid $500 for one computer each. In this case, only the first 10 people will be the successful bidders, since the bid amounts are the same, and earlier bids take precedence.

Now, say that one of those people bid $550 for one computer. Since his bid is higher than all the others are, he will certainly be one of the successful bidders. The earliest bidders who bid $500 will claim the other 9 computers, and the final price for each computer will be $500.

In the case of multiple quantities bid for by a bidder, the lowest bidder may not earn the right to purchase the complete quantity, since there may only be one left by the time the higher bidders have been processed. In other words, if the lowest bidder requested a quantity of 3 computers, he might only be entitled to one computer, since 9 other computers could be allocated to higher bidders. The only way around this problem is to ensure that you are not the lowest bidder. If it is agreeable to the seller, the bidder may not be obligated to partial quantities if the bidder cannot purchase the full quantity bid on. In that case, the seller may skip that bidder and move on to the next one, if any.

In Dutch auctions, the current standings are always displayed with the Item Description Page, and the complete bidding history including unsuccessful bids are also available.

Please note: AutoBid is not enabled during Dutch auctions.

Yes i read this explanation but they do not mention anything about you being the only bidder. I guess i will just pay the 15.88 each even though i was the only bidder on the auction and there being no auto bid on dutch auctions it makes sense that your bid is your buying price.
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You bid $15.00 each for 2 of the item

So you bought 2 for a total of $30.00

You bid you buy
  • Options
    penetraitorpenetraitor Member Posts: 3,870
    edited November -1
    It happened to me once on a Dutch.

I had my bid placed, but it wasn't my max. I wasn't going to be around when auction ended, so I placed another bid thinking it would just bump my max up. By doing this I thought it was going to auto bid up for me. Nope I just bid a larger amount. I paid it and moved on.

Live and learn.
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the shipping costs?