In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Snake Bite Question

Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
Piggy backing on the Toliet Snake story......Had a local kiddo (8 years old) bit by a copperhead the other night on the ankle...Went into the ER and they refused to give him anti-venom except as a last resort if he went into shock. His leg was black up past his knee.... Is this normal protocol? Is it true that the anti-venom can be worse for you then the bite? Doc also told his parents that if they gave him the anti-venom and he was bite again they could never give him anti-venom again for fear of serious cardiac problems.

Comments

• dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,540 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They did not give my cousin anything either.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    yep, thats the usual thing here too, although all snakes here(in my island state) will kill you if they get venom in you if you don`t have anti venom, but the docs always wait and see if you show signs of having venom in you before they will give you anti venom. just shaking like a leaf and pooping your pants isn`t a good enough reason to give it to you apparently[B)]
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    yep, usually just a tetanus shot...a copper head just makes you a little sick is all..i been bit bunches. it don,t even bother me anymore[;)][xx(]
  • MFinnMFinn Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lot of folks have reaction to the antivenom, that is why.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Copperheads aren't as poisonous as a Timber Rattler or Prairie Rattler, but a Sidewinder can and will do you in. I got bit by a 4' Diamondback years ago while tying in some drill holes for a mining project, and after the helicopter arrived, they told me I couldn't have any antivenin due to the pint of JD I had ingested. The area just died and left a 1/2 dollar sized dent in my leg. I was violently ill, chills, rash, sweating like Obama doing math; and it lasted about 4 days.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    sweating like Obama doing math; and it lasted about 4 days.

[:D][:D]
  • WCIWCI Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wife's a vet and says it sounds correct.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The copperhead is not a highly toxic snake, biggest threat is a bacterial infection due to the filth in their mouth. There are stories of folks gettin bit and not going to the MD, and being fine.
  • Lonestar86Lonestar86 Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The lad is doing better.
    His leg still looks terrible, someone mentioned chills and feeling ill, he told his folks he wanted to vomit and had chills for two nights. His mom said all the Doc's scared him more then the bite.

Interesting side bar, he told her he thought he was stung by a wasp at first until he looked down and saw the snake. I would have thought the bite itself would have been more noticable, but what do I know having never been bit. It has been a good lesson on snake bits in any event.
  • screwobamascrewobama Member Posts: 625
    edited November -1
    I've heard that soaking the infected area in hot water- as hot as you can stand- is good because the hot water helps to break down the venom. Tha't what numerous DR's have said when interviewed on those snake shows like History and Discovery channel.
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    I've heard that soaking the infected area in hot water- as hot as you can stand- is good because the hot water helps to break down the venom. Tha't what numerous DR's have said when interviewed on those snake shows like History and Discovery channel.
    Any sting or snake bite can benefit from a wet paste of baking soda. It acts as a drawing salve.
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    feels like a sting ,then a burn...if you have a dog with you sit down and let him lick it..i know it sounds gross but if'n you show the bite to a dog,they will lick it on instinct,i don't know why but it will keep you from gettin sick...something in a dogs spit[;)][xx(]
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I've also heard hitting the bite sight with a 'stun gun' will help neutralize the poison. Supposed to work for snake and bee/wasp/yellowjacket stings too.

'Taze me right HERE, bro!'

;
  • tazzertazzer Member Posts: 16,837
    edited November -1
    Iv been told by a doc. to use adolf meat tenderriser <spelling>
    it breaks down the venom also.
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    rebel james...[:0]i`d rather have the venom in me thanks![B)]
  • calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mgderf
    quote:Originally posted by screwobama
    Any sting or snake bite can benefit from a wet paste of baking soda. It acts as a drawing salve.

We use to put toothpaste on bee stings. Would that work too?
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    I've read of cases of copper head bites where the victim loses the limb that was bitten.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Doc also told his parents that if they gave him the anti-venom and he was bite again they could never give him anti-venom again for fear of serious cardiac problems.

I have/had a friend that was bitten twice. If I remember correctly both were Red Rattlesnakes. The Red is considered a toned down Western rattlesnake as far as disposition and danger from a bite. The second time he was given antivenom he had a reaction to the antivenom and came close to dying.