In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Got a good deal on a Jeep

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Bought a 93 Jeep Cherokee for $1,500 today to use for work. Got a straight six high output 4.0 and that sucker will flat out scream from a dead stop. Got an after market cd/radio tuned to my favorie country station[which is good cause I can't figure out all the buttons]real nice interior and one little love tap on the front passenger panel that should pull out with no trouble. Kids are going to like it since they had to sit on toolboxes when I picked them up in the s-10. This thing has four doors and a fold down rear bench seat. If I can just figure out how to mount a hidden hitch on the solid frame it'll be just right. Guess I'll have to weld the nuts to the bottom of the frame and put the bolts from down to up or cut a little slot in the side of the frame for each bolt to fit in. Anyone ever do that? Which way is the best?

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good deal. Been looking for something like that myself.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you say hiddin hitch do you mean reciever hitch?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I am "stoopid" but don't know what you mean by "hidden hitch". If you are talking about a receiver hitch, they are no problem to put on. I have a 2000 model Cherokee that I bought a reese hitch for, installed it in about one hour. Matches up to holes already drilled in the frame. Only problem was that on the passenger side, bolts for the exhaust hanger had been factory installed with loc-tite. Boogers to get loose! My class 3 was app. $100.

One more thing...gotta love that high output 4.0! Mine has a 5-speed, and it flat out has loads of torque. Not sure of the change-over year, but I "think" the H/O was out later than 93. If so, yours has had an engine change. No big deal though. Enjoy! Sounds like you gotta heck of a deal!
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great deal BDJ we have 2 newer but the same type in out fleet. They can realy take a pounding ours are 4x4 and when they come in for service I make shure everything works. [;)]

psalms 16
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    What I mean about the hitch is that the frame has solid sides so there is no way to get the bolts up in there. The "Hidden Hitch"is a brand name for a reciever hitch. It lines up with the holes in the frame perfectly, but like I said there is no access to drop the bolts through the holes unless I cut a small hole to allow me to slide them in and drop them through. The 93 was the first year of the high output 4.0 straight six in the cherokee sport. The name on the back of it even says it. I love a straight six for pulling torque, but this one actually goes too.

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a cherakee and loved it more than my CJ-7. Could pull better than the big boys, and was never stuck.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ...the frame on mine has solid rails also. Hitch came with a "special kit" that consisted of a long piece of wire with a loop in the end of it and a special plate to slide up in the frame from the rear. Threaded the bolt into the loop of the wire, ran it through one of the bolt holes in the "plate", then threaded the wire up through the opening in the back of frame. Eased the wire through the pre-cut bolt holes in the bottom of the frame rail, and pulled the bolt down to you. I know I made this sound WAY more complicated than it was, but it worked!

For some reason, I was thinking 95 was the first year of the H/O engine. Just looked at my reference manual and it was 93. Anyway...sorry for the misinformation. I just wish Dodge, in all their wisdom, would bring back the Cherokee.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I had one of those a few years ago, those straight six's are awesome.

Sounds like you got a good deal, Congrats!

My wife ran ours out of antifreeze until the engine seized. After it cooled down it started right back up and with some Slick 50...is still running to this day. Sold it because we thought it was going to die after that abuse.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great deal BDJ! Hope you enjoy it, I certianly miss my old Jeep Cherokee, but, perhaps I can live vicariously through you? [:D]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
    edited November -1
    That wire thing is a great idea. Now why didn't it occur to me? Guess I'm slipping. Thanks for the help and I'll post a pic of the Jeep to aid in the vicarious living. Did I mention that the 4.0 H/O engine is a screamer! My hair looks like I went face first in a wind tunnel and................... I had the windows up![:D]

• greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    BDJ
    If you've never had a jeep before, hold onto your hat. That's all I've had given the back roads, construction sites and long country driveways I pass over daily.
    I bought my first jeep in 1987 and still drive them. Heck, my wife even "appropriated" the one I bought 2-3 yrs ago to drive out west to go hunting, so I had to go out and get myself one (the red one I was driving when we met). They drive long and hard, take all kinds of pounding and leave you with memories. I usually run them up around 200,000 miles then get a replacement.
    Enjoy.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I worked on a jeep lot for 2 years. Had a guy come in and trade a Cherokee 4.0 with 300,000 miles on it. No major Engine or transmission work ever performed. Traded it for another Cerokee with 100,000 miles on it. Still going strong.

My dad had A Grand Cherokee w/ a 4.0. He put 140,000 traded it to a guy who took it out to colorado. It has 250,000 miles on it now, still going strong.

So of course after seeing so many of these success stories, I now own a '98 Cherokee w/ 70,000 miles. I plan on seeing how long it can actually make it. The last model year for the cherokee was 2001 so, get your hands on 'em now for a good long term vehicle. The limiteds have ABS which is worth the extra money.

The only reoccurring problems that I know of are Fuel pumps every 80k or so, and head gaskets.

Oh and that hitch, Draw-tite(daughter of Reese) makes a custom fit hitch...should be able to get one for $175 installed from a truck accessory store.

If you have any tech questions on pulling, accessories, or 4X4 capabilities, feel free to ask.
    edited November -1
    Looked under today and there seems to be enough of a hole between the rear bumper and the frame to snake a rigid wire with a bolt through. If I use lock washers on top with the plates I should be able to tighten the hitch enough with out a wrench holding the bolthead on the front most two bolts. The rearward bolts are close enough to the access hole for a wrench to fit. Piece of cake. Man, I'm going to have to be very careful or I will get a speeding ticket. Before you know it you're going 75mph in a 45mph zone. Jeez this thing is quick.

• NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    BDJ: Hello, good buy! I've had two Cherokees and now drive a Grand Cherokee Laredo. There's just something right about the feel at the wheel.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Sound as though you got a good deal BDJ. The last jeep I owned was a 78 Cherokee Chief with Quadra Trac 4 wheel drive. Does jeep still offer the Quadra Trac system in the newer Cherokees? Reason I ask is my ol lady wants me to buy her a Cherokee. If the do offer the Qudra-trac then I want to see about getting it. The Chief I had was never hung up at all. I had it in spots that I was sure we were going to walk out of but never did hang it! I have looked at the Jeep Liberty and am not impressed with those.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    Yes, they do still have Quadra-trac; however, I doubt very much that it is the same system that you are referring to. As far as I know Quadra-trac is still their most sophisticated 4X4 system. They offer 3 on the Grand Cherokees, and it is the most expensive. It can put all power to one wheel. The Jeeps are good vehicles. From working at a Jeep Dealership I can tell you that both engines are highly recommended by the mechanics. They especially love the 4.7L V8 saying, "it's an awesome engine", as well as 4.0L being a workhorse. They also say the drive train is the biggest piece of Shi* on the market. 1 in 3 of the vehicles in the shop were Jeep rear ends.