In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vanity Plates

leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've been thinking about getting vanity plates for my car that reflect my love of shooting. "GUNNUT" is already taken. Any of you have plates like that on your cars or trucks? Got any good suggestions?

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Comments

• DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have my first name on mine, RURIC....

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    I've always had a bad "vibe" about vanity plates. In my opinion, I think it can draw unwanted attention to an individual. For example, if your plate reads "gunnut" I'm sure you may be profiled by LEO's more often. Also, if you are carrying and are stopped I'd have to say that there would be a much higher chance that the LEO's attention would be drawn to that probability so an individual better make sure thay are legal.

I like to stay in "stealth mode" if you know what I mean.[;)]
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In at least one urban culture, the authorities have advised against vanity plates with any sort of name / nickname because it can be used by some to distract you at traffic lights (pretending to know you) while "associates" approach from another direction with intentions of doing more than washing your windows - or so one of my friends was told about five years ago.

I would also be cautious about anything to do with firearms / shooting. I've seen plates of this kind - in NH there are "45 ACP" and "30 USG" on the road, among others which I don't recall. Even here, it gives me pause. Why not advertise in the yellow pages and have a flashing neon sign saying "I have firearms!" ?? The plates are neat, but seem like a challenge to those who prefer to acquire things cheaply. It would depend on your environment, but there are places where I suspect some of the LEOs would target such a vehicle on general principles. Finally the term "gunnut" has negative semantic connotations for a lot of people, including those not firmly in the hoplophobic camp. If you *should* do something which would trigger a negative reaction on the road (e.g., cut someone off, intentionally or not), the license plate would automatically associate the behavior with firearms owners.

Everyone to their own, but my inclination would be to find a more subtle approach if you wished to express yourself in this venue. E.g. "4100 FPS" for the owner of a .220 Swift, or something on that order. My $0.02.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine says ARMED

I understand that a lot of folks think it's stupid to "advertise" but in my daily commute through some very rough areas I don't mind the message it sends.

And, since I already held to a higher standard with my CCW I don't think it adds to the responsibility I already have to behave.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, I wanted to get "3M TA3" but they wouldn't let me.
    Look at it in the mirror.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My truck and bike both wear vanity plates, but nothing to do with firearms. Beemer wears 86RT the year and model, truck wears BUFO, of interest only to herpetologists.

He Dog
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've mentioned this at work too, and I've gotten alot of responces asking me why I'd want to make myself more attractive to theives and cops! Some say they don't put an NRA sticker on their vehicle for the same reason. Oh well, it was just an idea.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got vanities on the Ram and on the bikes. Nothing to do with guns however.
    Ram says USA USA
    My bike says (what else?) MUDGE
    Mrs. Mudge's says (of course) BRAZEN

Of course the alert observer might deduce something from the NRA Life and GOA Life stickers on the car and truck.

Mudge the stealthy

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    I'd considered vanity plates, but your posts changed my mind. Some good reasons not to.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    My Z-28 says "NOTKT 1", but i've had many officers offer to change it for me and some have even given monetary incentives to do so.

My Cherokee says "B MUDDY" and it usually is.

My best friends car says, "LSNPL 8" and it's my favorite....though not many people can figure it out.

best one I ever saw was a Florida Plate that read "TIH5 TA3" It reads better in a Rear View.[:D]