In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What is this car worth?

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is a 25 year Camaro with 30,000 miles worth. This car has not been on the road for a few years and needs a battery as well as tires. Inside is great other than needing cleaning. Outside really needs a good cleaning. It has been sitting for a while and my friend with cancer is going to sell it. My daughter is maybe wanting to buy it and my friend stated he probably would not get much for it being it has not been run for a while. Any ideas as to what it could be worth? Thanks for any info. By the way it is the Purple model!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    What is a 92 Camaro rs worth. It's in fair shape, but seems to run and drive good. I has over 160k miles. I was offered a trade for this car for a stroker motor. I think I could get about 2500 for the motor is the car worth that? I was thinking about asking for 500 plus the car.
    Heres some pictures of the car.

000_0354.jpg

000_0356.jpg
    edited November -1
    The seriously worn-out car barely runs, but is largely original and has a 390 hp 427 cubic-inch V8 engine, four-speed manual transmission and factory air conditioning. The only major modifications are a new carburetor, water pump, muffler, wheels and a very bad set of custom fender flares.

av2.jpg
  • spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume your camaro is a 79-80? what motor. auto or std shift is it a ss or rs or a z-28?? and depending on what part of the country it was in when driven, make sure u check the frame attachment points where they meet the body for rust mileage doesnt matter much on a 25 year old vehicle unless it is an old muscle car from the 60s or early 70s spookster.......johnnab@npacc.net

jimjim
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    I think it really depends on the overall condition of the car, and the options it has. If it sat, without the proper preventivie maintenance, or scheduled maintenance, it could be trouble; seals, gaskets, corrosion on internal parts, brakes, etc...

The options are very important as well: t-tops, his/hers shifter, cowl inducted, paint code and graphics, wheels, etc...

I owned a 1979 Z-28 back in my senior year of HS, and I paid $3200 for it, with about 36,000 miles on the car, in GREAT condition. I would certainly pay the same amount today for a car in the same condition...possibly more for your car with the low miles, if it has been taken care of.

Hope this helps.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    I would say $300
    But check out www.edmunds.com for a true price
    Walte
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    A mid seventies camaro with an original engine, tranny, interior and paint can go for 15,000 dollars around here if it is in good shape and has the performance upgrades of that time period. It is one of the highly sought after muscle cars of that era depending on a few variables.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:What is this car worth?

Whatever someone will pay...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    tires, battery, been sitting, sounds like a $1500 or less depending on how well it runs.
    Or like mateomasfeo put it, whatever your willing to give, blunt but very true

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets see some pic's. That would help!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For a fair price that car belongs on Ebay Motors with lots of quality pics. I have been searching for a year on there for a certain car to house the engine I am slowly building in the basement, sooner or later I will find it. You will be surprised what some cars will bring on there. I just sold one on there last week and got more than I thought I would for a wrecked car.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly 7mmnut. I am still in the old car market. Big bucks if it is a special order ect. Purple? Just sold a purple 92 anniverary camaro.
    edited November -1
    Select-fire, the fall of 02 I found a perfect candidate, 1969 Camaro, wasnt a Z, think it was just a plain SS. Anyhow this car was a basket case, not one bolt or nut left on it, truckload of new body parts, shell already stripped for body work and paint. Guy gave up on it. I thougt to myslef THAT CAR IS MINE! Bid $1500 on it and boy was I dissapointed, it sold for over $3500[V] Basket case!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    7mmnut, Any 69 camaro is bringing good money. I have the Chevrolet book of numbers to determine what is what as far as body codes and engines. Alot of clones out there. That book has saved me alot of headaches and money on Chevelles, Camaros ect.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I thought you were talking about me when I started reading this post. I turned down $15,000 for my 25th Anniversary Camaro. Its a Z-28 with 25K miles. Been sitting in the woods for 4 years now.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
    edited November -1
    To be honest, I would rather have a '69 Chevelle but I would take a good rebuild 67,68,69 Camaro as well. I'm not worrued about originality, just want the body. I can build a clone to suit my tastes. I wouldn't want to trash an original Z!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    Select-fire, that is exactly what this car is, purple 92 anniverary camaro! The problem is it has been sitting for probably 5 to 7 years! Inside is excellent but outside, paint has some fading. Like I stated, it will need new tires and battery at least. What is a ball park figure on a 92 purple anniversary Camaro?

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    I need the goodies on it. Engine size, air? t-tops, rs or z-28? auto or 5 speed, 16" wheels? Color is Haiwaian Orchard Purple Haze.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    select -- Not to change the subject, but do you happen to know the name of Pontiac's deep green color that the Judge GTOs had on them back around 70-something?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
    edited November -1
    No T-Tops, yes as to Z-28, and yes I believe it does have 16" alloy wheels. All power opyions, air, V-8, I am guessing 350, auto, and exterior package with rear window cover. Has the Anniversary emblem on front with a black interior.

Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    more questions, any body damage or RUST? any documentation of ownership, bill of sale ect.
    edited November -1
    No rust or damage, 30,000 original miles, and the owner bought it off show room floor.

Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    I would without seeing say in the range of $4-5k. Cleaned up the car may bring more. Might be interested in it if your wanting to sell it. Keep in mind normally one has to spend $$$ on a parked vehicle in order to make it road worthy.
    edited November -1
    Thanks select-fire. If I do buy it, it will not be for sale due to it belonging to my friend that has cancer that is terminal. I just want to get it for my 17 year old daughter. I appreciate the info.

Rita Mae Brown
    edited November -1
    Just a little info on the car. My wife was scared to drive mine. With the 16" tires they tend to Jump out from under you if not careful ( car would get hung up in a rut and take off where you better be ready and on the steering wheel or your in the ditch.) Nose on em is very close to ground and will rub going in and out of low areas on the road.( in and out of parking lots ect) They are sweet rides though... good luck with it and email me a pic. On the edit: the rims are not the same on the front and back because of the offset. Tires cannot be rotated front to back instead the tire is dismounted and remounted front to back.
    edited November -1
    JJ Select-fire is right about how these things drive. Dont belive me ask Toolbabe[:0][:D]. Definitly not for an inexperanced driver. Do you know that if it does have the 350 IT WILL GO 140 MPH.[:D][:D][:D][:D] The dealer I bought mine from garanteed me it would. Or he would take it back. I didnt take it back[;)][:D][:D][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
    edited November -1
    JJ, why pay that kind of insurance for a teen to drive a hotrod? If you but it ,clean it up . Probably everything rubber will have to be replaced. Front and rear seals are most likely shot. Etc... Selectfire is right about sitting cars needing a lot of tlc. But I would get it in shape and keep it for myself to remember my buddy and get something less ferocious for the girl to drive. My friend Jeff would put a $20 bill on the dash and say its yours if you can get it. When you'd reach for it he'd hit the throttle. Never did get that $20.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    7mm nut,
    How ya gonna get that engine out of the basement[?]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
    edited November -1
    Make sure you wear your tight underwear when you go to lift that sucker!
    Coal doors and a cherry picker?

edited November -1
    JJ when I moved to North Carolina. I went to get Insurance on my Z. Thay started at $800.00[:0] And I had a perfect driveing record.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

• jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Not to dampen spirits, but storage plays hell on a car, from wheel bearings to muffler mounts.

The thing was made to be driven, not stored.

Depending on optiond, 300-3000.
    edited November -1
    Will is 18 and a new driver with a mild performance car. His insurance is $6,000/year for that one car. If he had bought a small pickup like I suggested his insurance would be $1,200/year. Dumb kid.

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    As an avid Camaro enthusiast, I would say it's worth at least $5,000. Now that being said, I personally would pay up to $7,500 for it, if that is the car she wants. Insurance is kind of sticky (I'm also an insurance man). This is kind of dishonest (I would have you cancelled), but you might try telling your agent the car is for your wife and your daughter will be driving your wife's car. If you do choose to have it rated correctly you will probably pay between $1,500-2,300/year for her insurance. However, you let that girl know if she gets 2 speeding tickets or an at fault collision her rates will double or triple. Any kind of license suspension (curfew violations behind the wheel, Illegal trans, etc), she'll be lucky to get insurance for under $2,000/yr, liability only, on an '86 Cavalier.