In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old way....

jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Greetings colleague recreational shooters, hunters, law enforcement officers and gun collectors. I'm a new participant to this board and first of, I'd like to say hello to all of you.
I'd like you to share and express your judgment on the subject; I've been thinking about for quite some time. Here I go; I've been watching The Outdoor Channel, on Dish Network and they're showing you the hunting story; Father takes his daughter out for a hunt. They go after the white tail deer, finally they see a pray within shooting range and father says to his daughter (12-14 y/o or so) take your shot. She does but she misses. I'm thinking; "now The Father is going to give her a lecture on how to concentrate, control your mind. How to respect the animal you're about to kill, honorable way to kill God's creature, your obligation to kill it as fast as humanly possible, one shot one kill, making sure that the beast you're about to kill don't suffer etc. But to my surprise, Father tells her to "reload, do it fast take your shot again" so she does and the animal drops dead. Some other time I was watching another show. This time seasoned hunter takes his shot at deer and again he misses big time. Out 100 yards or so he hit the deer's rack. And again to my astonishment he did not hesitate to take another shot at it. My point is that, we all trying to preserve our constitution, law of the land, the way of our fathers (whatever you wanna call it) etc. But for some unknown reason almost nobody says anything about teaching new generation about the proper way to hunt, respect of any and all living creature out there. Now let me ask you this: when was the last time you saw anybody blowing the horn before and after the hunt? When was the last time you took a fist full of grass or twig from the tree and put it into the mouth of the animal you just kill? When was the last time you actually pray before the hunt? I remember when I was 14 or so, I remember it like it was yesterday, although he passed away 25 years ago. I remember his teachings and lectures about the hunt and proper way and the honor and your obligations and...and.and... the way of HIS FATHER. Sound familiar? Isn't that what we are trying to accomplish here with new generation of hunters, shooters etc? But I tell you, what I see out in the woods is scary and way strange to me, things I can't understand and I do not want to understand. Looks like some new ignorant way to hunt and exercise your God given right to do so. I don't even want to go to the subject of bow or pistol hunting.
Thank you all and God bless The Republic.

Comments

• plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    First Welcome to the forumn. You will enjoy it here sometimes and be frustrated maybe even mad sometimes.

I am not a huge fan of the outdoor channel. I think that "movies" are not going to ever give a kid or anyone a real feel of what hunting is about. Until they teach that man's place as predator and prey is truely part of the eco system, and that it is about hunting and not killing, the pansies that are being raised to eat veggies only and brought up on Bambi movies will never understand.

The outdoor channel is more about selling and not about teaching. A friend of mine who is a guide has a "famous" maker of some hunting supplies coming to hunt this coming winter and the deal is I am sure -- I will give you equipment and great publicity, you give me X hunts.

Another friend of mine use to sell for Fred Bear and he got to go "testing" equipment all over US and Canada and never paid for a hunt ever.[:0]

Now if you have a video camera and a TV spot you make money but you have to film something and put it on TV. It is all about Money.

Cynical? On this issue yes I am, or maybe jealous because I have not figured out an angle for myself.[:(!][:(!]

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW...a no.1 Post....just like a new checking account..LOL..welcome to the fun and mayhem at times...either slap on lotion to let stuff slide off ya or ruff up your skin with sand paper so you wont feel any effects...your joining a Great Group...now lets talk about your first giveaway contest as a new poster..i do belive it is a Hand Gun this month, isnt it guys?...[:D]

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can see your point. However some people are not religious so therefore wouldn't pray before the hunt. From the few shows that are on the Outdor Channel, I have enjoyed them. All people hunt differently, but I agree that respect for the animal should be paramount at all times.

The 12-14yo girl should not be ashamed and chastised for missing a deer as greater men have also missed. The seasoned hunter should have done better because he should have gained the experience to know what shots to take.

What is wrong with bow or pistol hunting? With a bow it takes alot more work to get close enough to your prey. And alot of handguns have as much stopping force as the smaller caliber rifles when used correctly.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, well, my reply just might be the nicest on you get here. First off, welcome to the forums. I enjoyed the read and look forward to more from you, if you can stay the course. Second, would you rather he blew the antler off and let it live? Or would it be better for the daughter to have missed and NOT taken another shot and have been turned off to hunting forever because she failed? Third, what is inhumane about MISSING, and taking another shot that kills it? Fourth, if GOD intended it to be HUMANE, the animal would be human, and we would sit down and talk about the hunt before we killed it. Killing is killing. Hunting contolls populations so they don't starve, that in itself is HUMANE. We are not all like you, or Ted Nugent. We don't all pray before we KILL. Do you think that praying before and after the hunt makes it Godly to kill? Does that make it God's work for you to kill, because you put some grass in its mouth? Don't get me wrong, you do what you want, say what you want, post what you want, but trying to understand other people just because you SAW them on TV, is just stupid.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jack85
    I don't even want to go to the subject of bow or pistol hunting.

And I'll stay away from all of you "Big Game Shot-Gun & Rifle Hunters". My Grandfather taught me differently and I think he's right. So here's where tolerance will have to bear its beautiful face.

P.S. Welcome to the Forum...you should fit in just fine.
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome to the forum. I like the Outdoor Channel, if for no other reason, because it does expose people to hunting and shooting as a positive experience. Unfortunately, we live in a world where people don't like to lose. Joe Weekend Warrior just spent $1000 on his gun and equipment, by golly he's gonna kill something! Alot of guys around here are only hunting during black powder season now. Too many careless shooters out there. Keep plugging away for higher standards!

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hunt the old way too. The way real hunters did. I don't use a scope.
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    any hunt wether successful or not is always a good thing..if you go out and not learn from mistakes then there is no reason to go...i have known guys to stalk big game just for the sole purpose of seeing how close they can get undetected and all this during an open season on the animal they are stalking and happily never take a shot...being educated by the wildlife of our country is an honor ..to walk among them is an honor.....the american indian all the way back to the prehistoric paleo people knew this to be true...its a shame that filling a tag has been the only reason for some people to hunt. and a real shame that we have forgotten the lesson's they have taught us

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
  • jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello again.
    Thank you all for your prompt and intelligent responses to my question. Sure looks like some of you agree some disagree with me on this subject. Anyway, I can't help myself but to make some comments. Isn't that what this whole message board is about?
    Before I say anything, let me make a statement here; if we ever fail to preserve the hunting traditions in America, the way in which our ancestors used to hunt, we will lose our rights to hunt as well as everything else in regards of firearms including The Constitution of The United States. Sooner or later that what is going to happen?
    Some of you say that, hunting is about killing the animal and nobody else but yourself is responsible for the outcome of it. Am I a religious person you may ask? I'd say no I am not. When you ask me if I believe in God, I'd say yes I do. I was about to say something about my (irrelevant to this dialogue) life experiences, but I'd not go there. The fact is that hunting is about life; hunting is not about killing nor has anything to do with killing. It's about sacrifice one makes to save somebody else's life. Therefore it must be honor and respect just as you would like to see it being done in your own admiration. You know that, don't you? Typical catholic talk. To be continued if you guys like it so far, I must go back to work now. Thank you.
    God bless The Republic.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    You're right Jack. Best thing we can do is to take kids hunting and fishing. If you give them an appreciation of God's Creation you give them one of the greatest most rewarding gifts they will ever recieve.
    Ben