In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chokes and rifled slugs

rameleni1rameleni1 Member Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2002 in General Discussion
I am going to try some slugs in my benelli Monday. I looked in my owners manual, and it says nothing about chokes with slugs. Is it ok to use a full choke with a slug? I just don't want to screw anything up.

Rameleni1

Comments

• Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full choke is not a good idea. You could damage the barrel. I believe a "improved modified" choke is the one for slugs.

If I knew then, what I know now.
  • Options
    TazmuttTazmutt Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cylinder or improved cyl are best depending on slug diameter. If you are going to shoot sabotted slug, IM or Mod will work best. With the old rifled forster slugs though, I would go IC.
  • Options
    nelchrisnelchris Member Posts: 557 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey, NO NO NO never use a full choke shooting slugs most guns come with a improved cyl choke or the most open choke cyl use that.but if you are going to hunt i would aleast get a rifled choke tube or a fully rifled barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the help. I did find info online about it at benelli's website. They say to use a cylinder choke. I also saw the rifled choke tube for smoothbore shotguns at remington.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cylinder choke sounds like a conundrum -- in other words, you screw in the choke for cylinder bore, meaning smoothbore, or no choke? Or am I missing something?

- Life NRA Member
    "If cowardly & dishonorable men shoot unarmed men with army guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary...and not by general deprivation of constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, that sounds right to me. The choke has no constriction, but you still need it in. BTW all I have are full, mod, and imp cyl. I'm going to use the Imp cyl.

Rameleni1
  • Options
    BuckshotBuckshot Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing would be to find a slug barrell for the gun..If they dont make one then what better excuse for a new purchase...but.."Only the Shadow Knows."
  • Options
    bk0331bk0331 Member Posts: 523 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use non-sabot rifled slugs with an improved cylinder choke tube. Use sabot slugs with a rifled barrel or rifled choke tube. Using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel/choke will cause the slugs to spin out of trajectory. Using sabot slugs in a non-rifled barrel will not induce a spin on the slug as it exits the barrel.

Edited by - bk0331 on 09/01/2002 19:23:57
  • Options
    edited November -1
    bk0331. I saw a listing for rifled choke tubes (extended) for smoothbore barrels. Are you suppose to shoot rifled slugs with this type of choke, or sabot slugs?

Rameleni1