In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

A pic of my rear end.

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well you clicked it so here it is

STUFF_8_001.jpg

A few days ago I posted about hearing noise in the rear differential of my truck. Well there you go, that'll make noise all right. These three teeth all came from the ring gear.

Having trouble getting it fixed because my truck is special. It is 4x4 with 3.08 rear gears that are 7.625 inch. Most 4x4's came with 3.42 rear gears (7.625in) and most 3.08 rear gears are only 7.5 inch. I will probably end up putting a 2wd rear end under the truck (it will only have a 7.5 inch ring gear) but should last quite a few miles.

This is a 94 S-10 4x4 that came stock with 3.08 rear gears and 205/75r15 tires. What a truck.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin

Comments

• fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    you'll like the lower rear end better hopefully.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to keep a 3.08 rear end under it, or else change out the front diff at the same time. I have a 3.42 rear end at my disposal but if I put it on, I couldnt shift to 4x4 without blowing gears.

I would love to have 3.73 gears all around but cant afford it. Just trying to get out of this as cheap as possible.

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Used rearends link: http://car-part.com/index.htm
    For new stuff try jegs.com or 1-800-345-4545
    Richmond Gears make your gear set for around $220.
    Looked in my Chilton's parts manual, for the gear set, it said contact dealer, sounds expensive.
    Walte
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.4wheelparts.com
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the links guys.

I have been doing alot of online research and found out that the ring and pinion are compatible between the 7.5 and 7.625 inch. My mechanic has a 2wd junker S10 that he is going to check the gears by noon tomorrow. If it is 3.08 gears, we are going to change the whole rear end. If it isnt, I plan to buy a 3.08 7.5inch ring and pinion set from ebay and use it in the existing rear end. The only part damaged was the ring gear, the spiders are fine. But I still have concerns because this rear end was seriously overheated when it dumped all its oil through a blown seal.

This truck seems to break down every winter, just when I have the least money.

RUGER.jpg

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That about what mine looked like about 6 months ago when it granaded it's self (90 GMC Z71, only thing left was the housing itself. $3200 for guts and labor to fix it. [V]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif