In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

25 million Californians to lose water supply

LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
All due to a 2" minnow

And not only farmers, but cities south of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta could also face critical shortages in the wake of a federal judge's criteria for pumping water through the turnbuckle of the water supply for 25 million Californians and three million acres of farmland.

".. the California Department of Water Resources shut down its pumping station for 10 days to keep from killing minnows in the pump.."

http://westernfarmpress.com/mag/farming_minnowprotection_ruling_leaves/

Willing to let millions of human beings die of thirst just to save a minnow...

Just further proof that Californians are the stupidest people that ever existed on earth.

Comments

• ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Comes at no suprise to me-when I lived in the San Joaquin valley in central CA, the animal rights groups and the judges blocked a farmer from tilling his field because the endangered Kangaroo Rat lived on the propert--a RAT, nothing more then vermin took precedent over a plot of land that was owned by a private person. [xx(]
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by LesWVa
    Just further proof that Californians are the stupidest people that ever existed on earth.[/b]

Should we stand in the way ?
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 48,464 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some moved to Oregon. Eastern Oregon we have the same problem.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,665 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall Oregonian farms sat while the tree huggers and a "suckerhead" (a type of fish not people, okay some people too[:D]) about half a dozen summers ago. Also again no local Salmon on Yosh's plate this year.

It's not the Californians or Oregonians it's the damn tree huggers (damn hippies) are making the states suffer a fools errend. Then again this would solve lots of over population by distributing people in to other states. So welcome your new neighbors[;)].
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys love to bash CA....but it is understandable. I will tell you this, they cannot and will not cut off the water. The farms that water feeds, feeds the world.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A little dated......Oct '07
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have to do whatever it takes to save the bait.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    You guys love to bash CA....but it is understandable. I will tell you this, they cannot and will not cut off the water. The farms that water feeds, feeds the world.

What part of ".. the California Department of Water Resources shut down its pumping station for 10 days to keep from killing minnows in the pump.." do you not understand?

quote:A little dated......Oct '07

Not hardly

On Friday's Hannity show on FNC, correspondent Ainsley Earhardt filed an in depth report on the plight of farmers in California who are starving for water, exacerbated by a federal court which ordered that one of their sources of water be shut down due to fears that irrigation would harm an endangered species of fish, the delta smelt.

On the March 28, World News Saturday, ABC correspondent Lisa Fletcher had also given attention to the controversy: "And for the first time ever, farmers may be completely cut off from one of their sources of water. Farmers don't have access to this water that runs right through the center of their farmland. It is being allocated to the delta smelt, a little fish protected by the Endangered Species Act. Conservationists say the smelt are dying in the irrigation pumps, so a judge ruled they must be shut off for much of the growing season."

Below is a complete transcript of Ainsley Earhardt's story from the Friday, May 8, Hannity on FNC:

FNC: Drought-Stricken Farmers Lose Fight for Water to Endangered Fish
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,291 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Makes you wonder were these not decendents of pioneering types willing to cross the great expense of the unknown now they are the biggest wooosies.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anything Hannity says should not be taken for more than its entertainment value.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    War Pig
    The story caught my eye seeing it on CNN, HLN and Fox yesterday.

The thing that gets me is the right out stupidity of these people ability to think for a second.

But I guess it is easier to just shut the water off effecting millions than it would be to install a screen system around the pump in such a manner as to be out of the flow from the suction.

Coal mines uses a screen that can prevent a particle the size of a grain of sand from entering the system and yet not interfere with the thousands of gallons of water flow that passes through the plant every minute.

How hard would it be to place a screening system say 100' out and around from a pumps inlet? The minnows will be out of the pumps suction range so they will not be drawn into the pump and yet will be able to move up or down stream unrestricted.

No That Is To Easy.. Just shut off the water pumps and the billions of dollars that they help generate into the economy.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The issue of course isn't people dying of thirst - unless you decide to walk from Barstow to ZZyzx that's probably not going to happen. It's the impact of little or no water for irrigation which of course leads to revenue loss for everyone and people not working.

There's probably a real good story here with respect to the state's water management and accompanying environmental issues that also have an impact on the wildfires. Be nice if someone who isn't far right or left or has an agenda would do the piece in an even handed way.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    after a lifetime of farming it is my contention that if you suspect you have any "endangered whatever" on your property the expedient thing to do is immediately KILL & DESTROY all of them... i remember the japanese fellow in Kalif the cleaned up desert ground, put in many $$$$ improvements to grow veggies & when he was ready to start then the idiot activists came out & bankrupted him over a RAT & a FLEA....stupid
  • Deadred707Deadred707 Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im in Nor-Cal and I say "let them eat cake".[:(!]
  • rhythm_guyrhythm_guy Member Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa

How hard would it be to place a screening system say 100' out and around from a pumps inlet?
    My thought exactly. There are more solutions to this problem than simply turning the water off.

And did anybody catch the last line of Earhardt's report? "So now they're pumping the water out into the Pacific Ocean instead of streaming it down to the farmers who live in the valley." Are they really PUMPING the water somewhere else? Talk about a bunch of IDIOTS! At least their deaths used to accomplish some good, now the poor minnows are just wasted.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I lived in CO, there was a report of a "threatened" species in our area- the (not making this up) Preble's Meadow Jumping Mouse. Seems to live only in a range that extends from halfway thru Colorado and halfway through Wyoming. If confirmed, would have affected how everyone from South of Denver to Casper could use their property.

We all went out and got cats.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by LesWVa
    All due to a 2" minnow

And not only farmers, but cities south of the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta could also face critical shortages in the wake of a federal judge's criteria for pumping water through the turnbuckle of the water supply for 25 million Californians and three million acres of farmland.

I live in central CA, and the part your Not being told in the big picture, they are also killing the salmon fishing industry by not doing so. But the real truth is between Salmon fishermen and Rice wheat farmers.

Rivers Don't get water, Salmon/Steel head can't spawn. Without water Rice farmers and that's a big one cant flood fields. In turn messes up the pheasant hunts that provide income during the off season. It's not that clean cut and dry, we have a water shortage!
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel their pain. How much and who do I direct my money to help. Yeah, right!
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    I feel their pain. How much and who do I direct my money to help. Yeah, right!

That's the whole thing here, everyone's industry that depends on water becomes more special than the other. Is it going to be that 1000 fishing boats are put out of work that get federal funds, or a thousand farmers that get put out of work that get federal funds.