In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Choice between rifles

ScottAScottA Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
I am looking at a Savage Model 111 combo with simmons 3x9 scope for 349.00 vs a Remington Buckmaster combo with nikon 3x9 Buckmaster scope for 649.00 My question is this- Is the Remington worth the difference in price? I do not target shoot, and this rifle will be used for deer hunting in the Southeast ( not alot of long shots). I plan to buy a 30-06 caliber.

Comments

• Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington/Nikon combo is worth eveery penny more than the Savage/simmons combo. You will much appreciate the Ergonomics of the Remington, and the clearity of the Nikon.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In comparing the scopes on the two rifles, the Nikon is far better then the Simmons. As far as the rifles are considered, that is really a toss up depending on the person and their budget. I prefer Remington 700's over Savage rifles, but I own both and like the idea of Savage rifles being made with the budget minded person in mind. One thing that you could do, is buy the Savage, throw the simmons scope on another rifle(like a .22 or something) and then buy a nice Burris Fullfield II for around $200. You would still be spending less($549) on the Savage and new scope, then you would be on the Remington combo.

Jon
  • Options
    ScottAScottA Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odd thing to me the cheaper Savage seemed to have a floating barrel whereas the Remington did not, but does this really matter in a synthetic stock?
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    The Remington/Nikon combo is worth eveery penny more than the Savage/simmons combo. You will much appreciate the Ergonomics of the Remington, and the clearity of the Nikon.

+1
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why not buy a Savage and use the money you saved to put a Leupold scope on it.
  • Options
    bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

+1
  • Options
    hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    buy the savage shoot it see how you like the scope if its not clear enough for you buy another. i know alot of people that use that scope for hunting and all of them seam to like it.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

+2
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    While I have and like Remington 700's I have a Savage 110 in .243 that is my main hunting gun. Like the others have said if you dont like the scope on the Savage pull it off and spend the money you saved from the other rifle and buy a nice scope. I have the Simmons scope on one of my .22's. Guns are only as good as the siting system.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the cost is half as much, you're not doing a biathlon
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the Savage.
  • Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Jon0322, Rack Ops, etc. Savage is known for their accurate barrels. I have a 111 .30-06 and a 110V .22-250 and which are both very accurate and a 700VS-SF .220 Swift also that shoots as well but no better.
  • Options
    50-70RB50-70RB Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just a reminder-whatever you buy-take your time and break the barrel in well. Lots of articles on doing this-all vary in how many rounds to shoot cleaning between each one.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another one for the Savage. I have a 111F in .300WM topped with Leupold VXII 3-9x40. Very accurate and dependable.

DSC00520.jpg
  • Options
    hdwrenchhdwrench Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have both and like both . i dont find one that shoots better then the other .it's really your chioce ,do you love the remington ? if yes you have to buy it . if no then why waste 300 dollers ?like it has been said ,you could put that money towards other things (like optics ).there both very good guns .

the simmons vs nikon issue . now here there is a differance .i have both ,there is a noticeable differance between these scopes .i have simmons scopesand they work but not a well as a nikon .

so if you bought the savage then changed out to a nikon you'd be way ahead ,or a leopold and still be ahead . in my opinion its in the dollars and sense !!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first bolt action deer rifle I bought was a Savage 110.Since then I have accumulated several more rifles.A few of those rifles are better looking,have slicker actions and finishs and cost several times what that first Savage cost,but none are any better than the Savage for bringing a deer out of the woods.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    The first bolt action deer rifle I bought was a Savage 110.

Same here, Savage 110 in .270[^] For me I would take it up one notch and buy a Savage 112 BBL on put the Nikon on it.
    But the then I am heavy barrel kinda guy, not that the others don't shoot.